House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Airbnb Dead Body

The woman was found "hunched in a dug-out area, her head against the ground, covered in branches and surrounded by wood stumps", said the source.

"Her body was found at the bottom of the property which opens out into a woods," a police source said, adding that foul play was suspected.

Good to see that the Gendarmes are far more efficient that South Yorkshire's finest.

I've said before, I think Airbnb will come unstuck. It works (I presume) at the moment, because a self selecting, generally honest, educated elite mainly use it. As it becomes more popular, it will become significantly more dangerous than using hotels.

I've said before, I think Airbnb will come unstuck. It works (I presume) at the moment, because a self selecting, generally honest, educated elite mainly use it. As it becomes more popular, it will become significantly more dangerous than using hotels.

I think you are 100% right. I just spent a couple of weeks in australia and new zealand and used 3 different airbnb locations. In one of them, the hosts went out for the night and left me in the house with their 17 year old daughter and her friends. ******ing mental. They didn't know me from adam.

If I were an unscrupulous big shot in the hotel trade, I'd be paying selected journalists a retainer to collate bad news stories on Airbnb (robberies, intrusions, fraud, sex videos etc) and get them published. Of course, I'm sure all those in the hotel business would never stoop to such things..

If I were an unscrupulous big shot in the hotel trade, I'd be paying selected journalists a retainer to collate bad news stories on Airbnb (robberies, intrusions, fraud, sex videos etc) and get them published. Of course, I'm sure all those in the hotel business would never stoop to such things..

You just set up a google news catch for things and they come into your email box.

I think air b'n'b horror stories will become more common, partly as it becomes more popular, partly because the hotel trade will encourage them and partly because the Daily Mail generation is now becoming aware of the phenomenon.

Casual bed and breakfast was normal for decades in every British town. Houses in back streets just had a card with 'B&B' in the window, it was a recognised way for working class people to make a bit of spare cash. It only died out because the whole system went up market. Air BnB has just revived the tradition, with added safety features such as the review/vetting system.

On the continent Air B&B is simply a computerised version of those people with 'Zimmer Frei' cards that used to greet backpackers off trains. It's not some sinister Daily Mail conspiracy to rob and rape people.

Casual bed and breakfast was normal for decades in every British town. Houses in back streets just had a card with 'B&B' in the window, it was a recognised way for working class people to make a bit of spare cash.

Lots of novels from that era have dodgy goings on in back street lodgings.

I'm not saying using Airbnb will mean guaranteed rape and murder, merely that it will be more dangerous then the normal hotel trade.

edit: with Airbnb you've got potentially weirdo guests, and potentially weirdo hosts. The risk is already 100% greater than conventional hotel. I have heard secondhand anecdotes of weirdo gusts. Nothing really scary, yet.

I'm not saying using Airbnb will mean guaranteed rape and murder, merely that it will be more dangerous then the normal hotel trade.

edit: with Airbnb you've got potentially weirdo guests, and potentially weirdo hosts. The risk is already 100% greater than conventional hotel. I have heard secondhand anecdotes of weirdo gusts. Nothing really scary, yet.

Did your weirdo gusts happen after you ate a can of baked beans?

True, but Airbnb has a rating/review system for both guests and landlords, which is more than you can say for the conventional B&B trade. Yes, a guest can check a place through Trip Advisor, but the landlord has no way of knowing about the guest.

For example, I won't stay in an airbnb place unless it's been reviewed already and has generally good reviews.

Of course, people really trying to game the system could always do so, but most of the time it must work fairly well or it wouldn't have become so popular.

I manage travel for a corporate. Quite a few requests around "why can't i book airbnb?". The duty of care aspect is a strong reason. Also tax avoidance is another reason (eg the owner) that may influence corporates reasons to not use them.