House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

The Male Fashion Thread(S?)

Recently slimmed-down aging jeans-and-t-shirt geek seeks fashion tips; reasonably-priced, naturally! (This is HPC)

Having just chucked-out 3/4 of my wardrobe, such as it was, I'm looking to up-style a bit.

Not really a suit person; recent purchases have included a bunch of H&M slim-fit shirts, Next straight-leg chinos, a couple of jackets and some slim-cut trousers in a variety of charcoals. Haven't a clue about ties but toying with the idea of cravats and silk hankies. And possibly a beret (I'm a shaven baldie).

Think Leslie Philips/ Simon Dee.

It's one of those times I miss not having a gay mate... or a valet

With your mentioning cravats there were several articles analysing Paul Tisdale's fashion sense at the time of the Exeter / Liverpool FA Cup ties.

He always looks smart and has a mate in the fashion industry, one to copy.

With your mentioning cravats there were several articles analysing Paul Tisdale's fashion sense at the time of the Exeter / Liverpool FA Cup ties.

He always looks smart and has a mate in the fashion industry, one to copy.

Thanks, good one!

I expect with his money, Stephen Fry who always looks impeccable on HIGNFY - lump that he is, just employs a celebrity tailor to make the decisions.

"Godfather of Hipsterdom" Gavin Mcinnes is rather dapper.

Any other male style models?

Thanks, good one! I expect with his money, like Stephen Fry, he just employs a celebrity tailor to make the decisions.

I doubt he's on that much in L2, £70k maybe.

Karl Ready (QPR defender in the 90s) used to make his own suits! Now that takes a level of skill few of us possess.

Recently slimmed-down aging jeans-and-t-shirt geek seeks fashion tips; reasonably-priced, naturally! (This is HPC)

Having just chucked-out 3/4 of my wardrobe, such as it was, I'm looking to up-style a bit.

Not really a suit person; recent purchases have included a bunch of H&M slim-fit shirts, Next straight-leg chinos, a couple of jackets and some slim-cut trousers in a variety of charcoals. Haven't a clue about ties but toying with the idea of cravats and silk hankies. And possibly a beret (I'm a shaven baldie).

Think Leslie Philips/ Simon Dee.

It's one of those times I miss not having a gay mate... or a valet

Rather than try to adopt a whole new style, perhaps consider just sticking with your own preferences but dialing up the quality. Suddenly buying silk cravats is going to make you look and feel like a dick if it's a sea-change from your existing wardrobe. If you like jeans and a t-shirt, stick with that but get really well cut jeans, high fashion brand t-shirts, quality shoes.

Not in your face ostentation:

$_57.JPG

But understated, so you'll look really good, still feel like you, but most chicks will notice and uprate you slightly:

$_57.JPG

Cue the usual HPC skinflinterati: "Why buy clothes at all when you can find serviceable items in bins?"

Cue the usual HPC skinflinterati: "Why buy clothes at all when you can find serviceable items in bins?"

Bins? What's wrong with your wardrobe?

If you avoid overpriced crap that falls apart after a few weeks (aka fashion), you can buy once and wear until you outgrow a garment. Or in the case of something bought sufficiently loose, still have a shirt from the 1970s in the wardrobe.

Bins? What's wrong with your wardrobe?

If you avoid overpriced crap that falls apart after a few weeks (aka fashion), you can buy once and wear until you outgrow a garment. Or in the case of something bought sufficiently loose, still have a shirt from the 1970s in the wardrobe.

If your only concern is warmth then yes, that seems efficient. I get the impression that TONA is interested in increasing his attractiveness to women in general, and to his wife in particular. With this goal in mind, I think a poorly fitting shirt from the 1970s is a sub-optimal strategy. In my experience women really notice branding cues and are quite heavily influenced by them (the targeted advertising is immense), so if your goal is to attract women playing along to a small degree can be quite beneficial as part of a larger effort IMO.

I've reached that stage where I am completely disconnected from fashion. I don't wander round clothes shops every week or two buying something new.

If fashion means having a beard, then perhaps that's just as well..

I'd say that you can't go wrong with Levi jeans and some skin-hugging plain tops.

I'd say that you can't go wrong with Levi jeans and some skin-hugging plain tops.

This.

As a bloke, if you have stuff that actually fits well, your grand.

Yes you could go full hipster and waltz around with a suit on all day but most people can't be bothered with that. I think simple, understated, well fitting clothes are best.

I'm pretty much a flat cap, scarf and three quarter length overcoat man in the winter, Actually very in at the moment and suits a slim tall man with thinning hair. The overcoat is a Danish TK Max job from 2012 (a bit shorter than the one below) and looks newer than a week old Debenhams coat.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/05/article-1225429-07184CB2000005DC-140_224x565.jpg

$_57.JPG

I still have a Versace T-Shirt very much like that, which I bought when I was in my 20s when people like George Michael were in vogue. For any younger members, he was in a group called "Wham" and they were very popular.

IIRC it cost £50 at the time (I was going on holiday and so spent quite a bit on clothes then) and it still fits. Cotton/nylon/lycra I guess, very 'skin-tight'.

It's faded now, so it looks rather "shabby chic".

Quality means, quality fabrics with a quality finish such as cashmere, heavy cotton, wool mixes, mohair etc.....no outwardly showing brand names, naff, they are for posers..... ;)

Don't buy a cravat unless you own a manor house or stately home of some description and drive around in a battered Range Rover.

Why limit yourself? Look smart but look just that bit different to the herd.

I don't have cravats. I have some bow ties. :mellow: