House Price Crash Forum
workingpoor

Buy-To-Let Investors Could Face Losses

Yes I too saw this on tv, and was surprised to see the BBC covering the section on the FTB'er saying they are priced out.

This story is also covered here in The Telegraph..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/the-governments-buy-to-let-tax-changes-mean-i-will-have-to-sell/

Henry Pryor posted this on twitter regarding the same story too...

Henry Pryor @HenryPryor 1h1 hour ago

I see yr man Jaye put £200k in @prop_partner @BBC_Joe_Lynam. Not sure I bought his reasons for bailing out of #B2L

CcUl7laW8AAyp5O.jpg

When the Government made the announcement in last years Autumn Statement I didnt think it would come to fruition because I felt the changes were isolating the Conservative voter, Mr Cook said.

Yes I too saw this on tv, and was surprised to see the BBC covering the section on the FTB'er saying they are priced out.

This story is also covered here in The Telegraph..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/the-governments-buy-to-let-tax-changes-mean-i-will-have-to-sell/

Henry Pryor posted this on twitter regarding the same story too...

Henry Pryor ‏@HenryPryor 1h1 hour ago

I see yr man Jaye put £200k in @prop_partner @BBC_Joe_Lynam. Not sure I bought his reasons for bailing out of #B2L

CcUl7laW8AAyp5O.jpg

missed_the_boat.jpg

When the Government made the announcement in last years Autumn Statement I didnt think it would come to fruition because I felt the changes were isolating the Conservative voter, Mr Cook said.

The government TAX....they dont care what they TAX.

They NEED mnore and more and more.

They need a functioning high sales volume Housing market to get more revenue in....that means one thing.

They need a functioning high sales volume Housing market to get more revenue in....that means one thing.

Thanks for that observation, when you realise that BTL takes property out of circulation for a long time, you can then take the next step and deduce that it the stifles stamp duty revenue stream for the government who are the top predator.

The one thing you don't do is take food from the top predator.

Interesting point...the odd house being sold for a high price is not much good, whilst the sale volumes have been so low lately. Nor is it much good bringing in an increase in stamp duty either, if they can't get the sales volumes up.

If The Buy a bog brigade are going on TV saying they might have to sell...dont you think anyone with half a brain or in the know will have sold up last year when the getting out was good ?

Just saying like....dont shoot the messenger.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

They did in London. A pal of mine who has made millions from property development despite my warning him repeatedly over the last decade - caught me in a moment of weakness just over a year ago. I said to him 'I give up - this game is rigged - help me find a property'. And when he had finished laughing he told me that as usual my timing was impeccable and that (in London) the property game was dead and that anyone with any sense was selling up to the idiots and diversifying out of property.

This guy is no mug, he was running an investment fund based entirely on lending money to people to develop properties and made a lot of money - but was adamant that the really big players knew the writing was on the wall and that property in London was about to tank.

Yep the govt don't get high volume turnover with btl. Although the Blair Brown property frenzy was not normal volume but it's what the govt want. Even the 3% surcharge won't really bring much in.

Nice family image, I wonder if daddy has explained to his children how his ilks greed and selfishness will stop other children, like them, having the security of a clean, spacious and stable home away from the claws of rentier parasites? I doubt it.

Edited by JustAnotherProle

Yep the govt don't get high volume turnover with btl. Although the Blair Brown property frenzy was not normal volume but it's what the govt want. Even the 3% surcharge won't really bring much in.

Except that SDLT revenue has been steadily increasing and last year was the highest on record, IIRC. That's not to say it couldn't be much higher, with volume, just setting the record straight that we do not have diminishing SDLT revenue.

He can see other landlords selling, but he doesn't seem to realise this may put downward pressure on prices. For the sake of what is probably a few % of early repayment charges he is risking large falls and big headaches.

This is such an interesting glimpse of how these people think.

From torygraph piece: “My biggest fear is that I’ll start to make a loss every month once this landlord tax kicks in, as we’re going to be taxed on the revenue rather than the profit”. Wow.

“These changes will force landlords to raise their rents to make ends meet, or they’ll sell up and create a glut of buy-to-let properties. To dissuade any form of entrepreneurship and progress financially, it seems a strange decision.”

Eh? What? As posited on thin air as the market itself. Do you think he really believes this or is it an amateur attempt at reality-creation? Extraordinary.

I don't know any of these people, it's like going to the zoo. Must look up that thread someone mentioned about understanding btl landlords...

This is such an interesting glimpse of how these people think.

From torygraph piece: “My biggest fear is that I’ll start to make a loss every month once this landlord tax kicks in, as we’re going to be taxed on the revenue rather than the profit”. Wow.

“These changes will force landlords to raise their rents to make ends meet, or they’ll sell up and create a glut of buy-to-let properties. To dissuade any form of entrepreneurship and progress financially, it seems a strange decision.”

Eh? What? As posited on thin air as the market itself. Do you think he really believes this or is it an amateur attempt at reality-creation? Extraordinary.

I don't know any of these people, it's like going to the zoo. Must look up that thread someone mentioned about understanding btl landlords...

BTL might be entrepreneurs but not the type that add value.

BTL is just squatting for the highest bidder. I thought the government had banned it.