House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

The Singularity / Futurism / Technology / Killer Robots Thread

I thought we could have a thread to discuss and post anything futurism/post humanism/technological singularity related.

I'll start with this optimistic little work of fiction;

I have previously suggested that self-replicating drones will be a real threat.

Or they could co-opt the 'reproductive systems' of their victims to reproduce instead.

The Nazis used slave labour to produce V1 & V2 weapons.

So imagine sentient drones enslaving humans to make more drones.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility.

The planet is already covered in solar-powered self-replicating drones, they're called biological organisms.

I'm also surprised that Sex Bots aren't progressing - I would assume the technology is getting there. Surely within 20 years they'll be able to create something quite bangable.

I thought we could have a thread to discuss and post anything futurism/post humanism/technological singularity related.

I'll start with this optimistic little work of fiction

Enjoyed the video - don't know if it was a 'good' ending though although I may be saying that as a lo-fi, early 21st century individual.

I don't know how I feel about 'mind uploading' and its desirability. I'm not sure if it would actually be continuing 'your' consciousness as much as just being a digital copy.

I am interested in seeing much improved medical tech (something like Star Trek being the ideal) and advanced cybernetics. I am worried that I'll be dead or society will crumble before we get to that point though. That said it is difficult to tell how far along the scientific progress scale we are.

You could see a few points there where the robot called the 'hit person with stick' subroutine, but that returned with 'error 0 - mustn't hit him' - but, you know, eventually he's going to get angry and override that error.

I'm also surprised that Sex Bots aren't progressing - I would assume the technology is getting there. Surely within 20 years they'll be able to create something quite bangable.

I think you are far too obsessed with sex.

And I say that having banged two girls this week.

Seriously go out and get laid....

Sex bots come after battle bots. For a very brief time in between there'll be 'for the good of humanity' bots, but they'll all be converted into sex bots because that is where all the demand will be. Eventually they'll tax the sex bots, and we'll get the robot servants, etc.

[sex bots do lead to interesting moral/legal dilemmas - for example, what if a paedophile creates and/or uses a child sex bot - is that against the law? What if he supplies/sells that child sex bot to others? What about if a 15 year old manages to convince (reprogram) a sex bot and has sex with it - is that now an unlawful act? Perhaps the manufacturers are guilty by not making this event more difficult? What if a man in [insert country where homosexuality is illegal] has sex with a sex bot which could perform as either sex, but which has been set to 'male' in its settings? It is all very interesting.]

You could probably just get different attachments for your domestic robot, like on a vacuum cleaner. Some for 'battle bot' mode and some for 'sex bot' mode. :D:D:D

You could probably just get different attachments for your domestic robot, like on a vacuum cleaner. Some for 'battle bot' mode and some for 'sex bot' mode. :D:D:D

That sucks!

I think you are far too obsessed with sex.

And I say that having banged two girls this week.

Seriously go out and get laid....

You just wanted an excuse to boast!

I'm surprised someone hasn't used a drone in a terror attack yet. Surely only a matter of time?

I recall an internet RamJet enthusiast who built his own working cruise missile a few years ago complete with GPS auto-navigation to a range of 200 miles and capable of carrying a 5-10lb payload. As I recall he was shut down by the feds.

EDIT: it was a pulseJet and the NZ govt. that closed it down:

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

I'm surprised someone hasn't used a drone in a terror attack yet. Surely only a matter of time?

The US has been using drones to terrorise and kill scores of innocent civilians in Pakistan, Yemen and several other countries in the past 5 years or so.

Enduring mystery is why terrorists seem to lack imagination and have more than a bit of a fetish for public transport.

If there's going to be drones everywhere I think I'm gonna fix up old ones and shoot womp rats in my spare time.

Enduring mystery is why terrorists seem to lack imagination and have more than a bit of a fetish for public transport.

If there's going to be drones everywhere I think I'm gonna fix up old ones and shoot womp rats in my spare time.

A cynic might say that was their tla employers mission brief.