House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Where's In A Name

The fens.

They`ve just found a 3,000 year old wheel in the fens......we`re famous at last ! All they`ve got to do now is find the other wheel and it will prove beyond all doubt that we inverted the motorbike.

I'm a Geordie! I always wanted to be one.

The other concentration is in the Boston area. Not that far off the Ely / Downham Market / Fens area we traced our ancestors to.

You are probably related to me! :blink: My grandfather came from Huntingdon.

Scotland. That's down to a great-grandparent of Mr B's - I would never have thought of it as a particularly Scottish name.

I have a couple of great grandparents with unusual surnames and a while ago I found a website that gave distribution in about the 1870s. They haven't changed all that much since.

One of them was mostly restricted to a very small pocket of Devon/Cornwall borders, and while I was googling the name a while ago I found a folk singer of the same name evidently well known in those parts. It was striking how he had exactly the same colouring as my father and his mother - very dark hair with very blue eyes.

I swear there's a washed-up Armada sailor somewhere. Younger daughter has the kind of Med-ish creamy-olive skin that tans incredibly easily. Nobody else in the family has it. And we didn't even have a milkman at the time, in case anybody's wondering.

Uncommon enough name that I suspect it's showing up individuals. The highest concentration is where my parents live but I've not heard of anyone else with the same name in that area (not sure how it's got quite that high though unless it hasn't cottoned on to us having left home for years). A suspiciously ciruclar blob somewhere else, centred on where my brother lives. No concentration on the area the name comes from.

Uncommon enough name that I suspect it's showing up individuals. The highest concentration is where my parents live but I've not heard of anyone else with the same name in that area (not sure how it's got quite that high though unless it hasn't cottoned on to us having left home for years). A suspiciously ciruclar blob somewhere else, centred on where my brother lives. No concentration on the area the name comes from.

Well there's no data for my name ,but i'm pretty sure if i entered my post code on the results page it would give a very accurate result of where i live next time i entered my name

Well there's no data for my name ,but i'm pretty sure if i entered my post code on the results page it would give a very accurate result of where i live next time i entered my name

Indeed. I checked my friend's surname and it doesn't show. I resisted the temptation to put postcodes in. It'd be wrong to put completely wrong postcodes in .

It is noticable how many names disappeared as a result of the first world war I would guess. You see it on the monuments. I came across this page yesterday:

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/1881census/norfolk

These are the most highly concentrated names in Norfolk in 1881. Of course it is also a function that there are not that many of them in the first place.

And I guess, if we had a situation where the holders of names were much more evenly spread, it doesn't take much for a large number of surnames to be wiped out.

aewnc3.jpg

I read somewhere of an elderly woman called Mrs Strongitharm. She was the very last in the line of the Strong-in-the-arms - evidently they were not quite so strong when it came to going forth and multiplying.