HOLA441
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Dishwasher is one of those things I just can't see the labour saving nature of. By the time you've loaded and unloaded the thing you might as well just have washed up.

Presumably Mr. NASCAR has somebody take his dirty crockery away to clean it.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Dishwasher is one of those things I just can't see the labour saving nature of. By the time you've loaded and unloaded the thing you might as well just have washed up.

Presumably Mr. NASCAR has somebody take his dirty crockery away to clean it.

That's a classic hpc tightwad comment. Tbh I'm not sure dishwashers even work out more expensive than handwashing these days. Don't they use less hit water and detergent?

HOLA448

If it's one that goes in a fitted kitchen type arrangement I might be temped to go for a premium one just because of the buggeration factor of refitting it if it goes wrong.

Otherwise I'd probably just get a cheap one.

I only say that because in my experience dishwashers tend to be pretty reliable whether cheap or expensive. Unlike washing machines, I don't know many people who's dishwasher fails after the first few years. When they do go it tends to be the timer or electronics.

Has anybody had a dishwasher of any brand fail prematurely (less than 5 years)?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

That's a classic hpc tightwad comment. Tbh I'm not sure dishwashers even work out more expensive than handwashing these days. Don't they use less hit water and detergent?

They eat away at any aluminium cookware you've got.

I don't know what they put in the tablets but they chew through aluminium like anyone's business. Don't know if they do the same with copper?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

:P Cheers!

It wan't even the cost element that bothered me, I just think that as chores go washing up isn't really up there. There's no physical element to overcome like there would be with manually beating a carpet or drying your clothes through a mangle. I actually quite enjoy it. I've even done it for a living before now - admittedly that involved a dishwasher, but the demands were a bit different.

HOLA4413

If it's one that goes in a fitted kitchen type arrangement I might be temped to go for a premium one just because of the buggeration factor of refitting it if it goes wrong.

Otherwise I'd probably just get a cheap one.

I only say that because in my experience dishwashers tend to be pretty reliable whether cheap or expensive. Unlike washing machines, I don't know many people who's dishwasher fails after the first few years. When they do go it tends to be the timer or electronics.

Has anybody had a dishwasher of any brand fail prematurely (less than 5 years)?

Slim candy dishwasher used 3 times a day died after 3 and a half years. Used for everything including heavily soiled pans. It was some electronic sensor type thing must have gone, started getting the combination of water filling and washing in the wrong order.

HOLA4414

:P Cheers!

It wan't even the cost element that bothered me, I just think that as chores go washing up isn't really up there. There's no physical element to overcome like there would be with manually beating a carpet or drying your clothes through a mangle. I actually quite enjoy it. I've even done it for a living before now - admittedly that involved a dishwasher, but the demands were a bit different.

Oh I hate it! :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Slim candy dishwasher used 3 times a day died after 3 and a half years. Used for everything including heavily soiled pans. It was some electronic sensor type thing must have gone, started getting the combination of water filling and washing in the wrong order.

Fair enough.. that blows my argument out of the water then! :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Don't see the point of them personally. It's Wifie's idea - she even dishwashes the bloody chef's knife!

That out of the way, we now have a Smeg which is so bad that I expect it contravenes trading standards. It just seems to fling food about inside so that everything comes out dirtier than it went in. In addition to dried on dirt, everything is also wet - even hours after the cycle has finished. Also clouds all glassware with scale. Absolute pile of crap.

We had a Bosch before which actually worked. Never tried a Miele. In white goods, as in football, never underestimate the Germans.

HOLA4420

That out of the way, we now have a Smeg which is so bad that I expect it contravenes trading standards. It just seems to fling food about inside so that everything comes out dirtier than it went in. In addition to dried on dirt, everything is also wet - even hours after the cycle has finished. Also clouds all glassware with scale. Absolute pile of crap.

Ah yes, Smeg.

smug-smeg-fridge.png

HOLA4421

It's Wifie's idea - she even dishwashes the bloody chef's knife

I managed to get my wife to stop doing that eventually.

It now gets thrown under a pile of damp metal/ceramic pans on the drying rack instead.. Usually with the cutting edge resting on something hard and abrasive.

HOLA4422

Fair enough.. that blows my argument out of the water then! :)

Well no. I have a theory that most bog standard dishwashers last 3500 cycles before dying. I had a relative who had a Bosch, 4 times a week. Lasted 20 odd years. Something in excess of 4000 cycles. It's a Bosch. My candy did 3500 cycles. It's a lower end brand. But didn't have an outrageously different life in terms of wear and tear but not years. And I did abuse it with greasy cr+p whereas relatives were careful to wipe cr+p off before putting in dishwasher.

HOLA4423

I believe miele, uniquely, test their kit to destruction, specifying a longer life than other manufacturers. Indicated by their warranties which are typically twice those of other manufacturers.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

OK, I use to be a pro, so on this one occasion only, take heed of my words!

Things that should never go in the dishwasher.

1) The Chef's knives. These should be washed in hot soapy water, treated with reverence at all times, and returned personally to the chef. Take this seriously, as the Chef has the power of dinner!

2. Pans. Wash under running water with a plastic (or if you must, soft wire) scourer. Dry immediately and rub over with an oily cloth.

3. Those wooden things that pass for plates in pretentious eateries. They will dry out and crack. Blast them clean with the pressure spray (if available) and stand upright to thoroughly air dry. Do not stack until completely dry. Bath in olive oil once a week.

4. Anything that comes out tarnished. This can be hard to predict in advance, so hide the evidence and learn for next time.

5. Glasses. The bar has a glasswasher for those.

Bear all that in mind and you too could be working your way to an early grave in some subterranean oven for minimum wage!

Archived