House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

A New Life In The Sun

I dont know if this has been mentioned on here but....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-new-life-in-the-sun/episode-guide/series-1/episode-9

I remember watching a no end of these programs around 2002, encouraging idiots to sell up and move abroad and just seen this on the TV ( cant remember what channel it was ).

I think the pinnacle was "a place in slovakia" where some dodgy couple ( allegedly ) but an old castle and converted it into a hotel.

This is from 2004....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/2894943/A-new-place-in-the-sun.html

It could be written next week (again)

This particlular series sent shivers down my spine. There was no end of "buying houses for X hundred thousand euros....how you could buy an apartment somewhere for a bargain price of less than 150,000 euros....how they had sold up their semi in the UK and moved to a much better life in the sun....it was sickening, totally sickening whatching this. These programs must have done no end of damage to people the last time around IMHO.

It's like the whole insanity has been restarted...except this time it's different...it's not the bankers on the hook, it's the people.

People who make their own freewill decisions.

Obviously no where near ready for HPC when still not prepared to accept that.

The people. The innocent people. Begin Bailout 3.0 QE galore / BTL protection / protect the £Trillions in equity of the older owners.

Don't see what the problem is?.....life is about taking risks, if you don't you sit in a small room looking at four walls all day incase if you venture out you might get run over.....everything is cyclical, timing is key, but wrong timing doesn't always mean a wrong decision, some people buy for the right reasons, some the wrong, they are the ones who will find it the hardest to recover.;)

They have their own program called " a place in the cold and wet" aimed at investors in UK property.

There you go. It doesn't hurt to say something positive occasionally, does it? I like the cheerful new you.

I dont know if this has been mentioned on here but....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-new-life-in-the-sun/episode-guide/series-1/episode-9

I remember watching a no end of these programs around 2002, encouraging idiots to sell up and move abroad and just seen this on the TV ( cant remember what channel it was ).

I think the pinnacle was "a place in slovakia" where some dodgy couple ( allegedly ) but an old castle and converted it into a hotel.

This is from 2004....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/2894943/A-new-place-in-the-sun.html

It could be written next week (again)

This particlular series sent shivers down my spine. There was no end of "buying houses for X hundred thousand euros....how you could buy an apartment somewhere for a bargain price of less than 150,000 euros....how they had sold up their semi in the UK and moved to a much better life in the sun....it was sickening, totally sickening whatching this. These programs must have done no end of damage to people the last time around IMHO.

It's like the whole insanity has been restarted...except this time it's different...it's not the bankers on the hook, it's the people.

Less than 150,000 is still very expensive.

But If you sell your property for 300k, and move abroad to rent for 350 euro a month somewhere in the sun, you could live very comfortably until the madness ends.

Less than 150,000 is still very expensive.

But If you sell your property for 300k, and move abroad to rent for 350 euro a month somewhere in the sun, you could live very comfortably until the madness ends.

150,000 euros is expensive......renting is cheap and long-term renting gives good tenants high security tenure. ;)

There are many countries where you can rent really cheap, let out the house in UK and live on the difference.

I wouldn't recommend selling up to anyone without a cast-iron business plan and a wealth of local knowledge.

150,000 euros is expensive......renting is cheap and long-term renting gives good tenants high security tenure. ;)

And if you want to spend 3-6 months abroad every year then renting is the way. Buying now a mugs game....And has been for a while. How tv shows in the UK still manage to find an audience and funding amazes me. The public really are gullible!

350 a month gets you a decent place in southern Europe outside of July and August.

They have their own program called " a place in the cold and wet" aimed at investors in UK property.

I have friends in Mallorca who are always moaning at how hot it is in the Summer and who deliberately go on holiday in Scotland then for cooler weather. So there might be something in that,

Mind you I doubt they'd survive a full-on Scottish winter.

There are many countries where you can rent really cheap, let out the house in UK and live on the difference.

I wouldn't recommend selling up to anyone without a cast-iron business plan and a wealth of local knowledge.

....and speak the language fluently...many of these "new lifers" seem to have over looked that one small thing

For me this program is a symbol of the pre-2007 bubble when everyone was joyous and thought the good times would roll on forever.

The fact that they've brought it back speaks volumes to me.

They really do think we are back on track....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

....and speak the language fluently...many of these "new lifers" seem to have over looked that one small thing

For me this program is a symbol of the pre-2007 bubble when everyone was joyous and thought the good times would roll on forever.

The fact that they've brought it back speaks volumes to me.

They really do think we are back on track....

Since when were we any good teaching other languages in our schools......the rest of Europe and the world are far better at doing that. ;)

For those that haven't actually "earned" anything (thanks to good fortune) everything is cheap.

Edited by RentierParadisio

And if you want to spend 3-6 months abroad every year then renting is the way. Buying now a mugs game....And has been for a while. How tv shows in the UK still manage to find an audience and funding amazes me. The public really are gullible!

350 a month gets you a decent place in southern Europe outside of July and August.

Do you mean July and Aug are expensive?

Greece was full of empty hotels falling to bits last time I visited. From people that took out mortgages for a small fortune and then went broke.

I would actually like to rent out my house and live abroad, should get 700 ish a month (its small in Bristol) but the boiler is about to go bang, would need carpets etc. Even mortgage free I wouldn't take the risk and would worry about the maintenance costs. Would only let if was someone I knew.

Greece was full of empty hotels falling to bits last time I visited. From people that took out mortgages for a small fortune and then went broke.

I would actually like to rent out my house and live abroad, should get 700 ish a month (its small in Bristol) but the boiler is about to go bang, would need carpets etc. Even mortgage free I wouldn't take the risk and would worry about the maintenance costs. Would only let if was someone I knew.

If you take a long term let, prices don't vary per month.

700 GBP a month is currently 900 Euro. 350 Euro a month, as Agentimmo says, will find you a good place in Southern Europe. I pay only 260 in Cyprus. I think next year I will live in Poland for a change of scenery. Outside Warsaw, count around 1500 zloty. or GBP 270.

If you let your place, don't do carpets, just lino or laminate floors. PVC windows. Then virtually maintenance free.

Greece was full of empty hotels falling to bits last time I visited.

I was talking about the coasts like France Spain and Portugal. Not too far from civilisation ?

And can drive to/from the UK if you have the time. You can get decent rates for 10 months of the year right on the coasts. However owners tend to exclude July and August. Not a problem if you are flexible. Either move 20-30kms inland or back home for 2 months.

That's my retirement strategy sorted btw. ?

I was talking about the coasts like France Spain and Portugal. Not too far from civilisation

And can drive to/from the UK if you have the time. You can get decent rates for 10 months of the year right on the coasts. However owners tend to exclude July and August. Not a problem if you are flexible. Either move 20-30kms inland or back home for 2 months.

That's my retirement strategy sorted btw.

This is exactly what we do.

I expect that'll be a job-free part of southern Europe, far from services like gas and electricity.

There was nowhere that cheap within commuting distance of my then-new job in Italy in 1992.

You can live in a Hotel on the Algarve coast for around 500 euro p/mnth outside of july / aug & early sept.

That would include breakfast.

Edited by workingpoor

Can I ask you..where are your favourite destinations? Top 3.

For the last few years we've been doing the following, we always drive so we have all our stuff and a car.

May, Villeneuve Loubet (for GP and film festival), €900pm.

June, July, August, Brittany where it's not too hot.

October to December, Fuengirola (when it's cooled down and the rowdies have left), €500pm.

Rest of the year, UK South.