House Price Crash Forum

Another "white And Gold Dress" Pic, Apparently

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I say "apparently" as this one seems less equally divided.

12893974-large.jpg

But her followers were soon split over the jumper – with some seeing a brown jumper with a gold logo, while others are claiming to see a light blue jumper with a white logo.

Green and beige for me.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/colours-tracksuit-internet-split/story-28819542-detail/story.html

And this is clearly white and gold. I hope we can be sensible and adult about this by now and people will stop pretending that it's blue and black.

9562699-large.jpg

Apparently it's the lightburst at top right that does it. How you see the dress depends upon how your brain adjusts the colours for this lightsource.

HOLA442

I say "apparently" as this one seems less equally divided.

12893974-large.jpg

Green and beige for me.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/colours-tracksuit-internet-split/story-28819542-detail/story.html

But her followers were soon split over the jumper – with some seeing a brown jumper with a gold logo, while others are claiming to see a light blue jumper with a white logo.

Feck me - the biggest problem is people can't distinguish the difference between a frigging tracksuit jacket and a jumper. Let's get the basics right first and then worry about the colour shall we?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It's a washy light blue colour with a white or off-white logo.

These optical tricks just don't seem to work on me.

But it's not "I can see better than other people", far from it. It's demonstrably not true as I'm slightly long-sighted.

Possibly related, but 'Magic Eye' pictures don't work on me either. I don't see the dolphin, the horse, or whatever it's meant to be, no matter how long I stare at it for.

It is interesting to muse that while we assume that we all see the world identically (apart from people who are known to be colour blind, for instance) that may not be true.

I have some similar theories about digital audio which I have always had a problem with, which to me sounds badly flawed and always has done at CD's resolution rates. However hi-res digital audio (24/192) sounds appreciably better based on a sample of just one album (there are hardly any available at that resolution). And yet, many, if not most, hear no difference.

Nothing to do with the ears, but something to do with the brain processing.

Which I shall again qualify. It doesn't mean that I can hear better than other people. That's demonstrably not true either. It just seems to be that I belong to one group of people who process audio slightly differently to another group.

As they say, perception is reality..

HOLA446

I have some similar theories about digital audio which I have always had a problem with, which to me sounds badly flawed and always has done at CD's resolution rates. However hi-res digital audio (24/192) sounds appreciably better based on a sample of just one album (there are hardly any available at that resolution). And yet, many, if not most, hear no difference.

I often think that multi-million selling female singers are out of tune, but nobody else seems to care.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I often think that multi-million selling female singers are out of tune, but nobody else seems to care.

Shirley Bassey is not "off tune". Beware the wrath of the Welsh.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Shirley Bassey is not "off tune". Beware the wrath of the Welsh.

GoooldFINGAAAAAH!

Does The Masked Tulip take Bassey bashing personally? Actually I was thinking of Adele, but apparently she's half Welsh so perhaps he will only get semi vexed.

HOLA4412

GoooldFINGAAAAAH!

Does The Masked Tulip take Bassey bashing personally? Actually I was thinking of Adele, but apparently she's half Welsh so perhaps he will only get semi vexed.

You might appreciate this piece by Clive James - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/dec/12/is-adele-new-mama-cass-clive-james

I have listened several times to her smash hit, Hello. I was hoping that the shapely beauty of her opening phrase would hook me for what remains of my forever. But the opening phrase never really arrives. The whole number is one of those big ballads in which the singer whispers her way through a verse section that hasn’t got a melody and then goes soaring and bellowing into a chorus section that hasn’t got a melody either. The virtuosity leaves you yawning with admiration.

Whitney Houston drove herself bonkers yelling stuff like that, and Celine Dion at full volume puts up such a barrage that she might be part of Canada’s anti-missile defence system. But Adele still has time for better things.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Possibly related, but 'Magic Eye' pictures don't work on me either. I don't see the dolphin, the horse, or whatever it's meant to be, no matter how long I stare at it for.

I doubt it (although I may of course be wrong). Magic Eye pictures rely on the same process that gives you depth of vision, they're not an optical illusion in the usual sense. The way they work they give the brain two different images of the same thing at slightly different angles. The repeating patterns are the key. Go cross-eyed or wall-eyed so that you see double, and you, well, see double. But if the double images exactly overlap, and are exactly the same, there's no double to see. However is part of those images has a slightly different spacing that "no overlap, exactly the same" bit is shifted slightly, exactly as it would be if it was a solid image painted in the same pattern.

If you can place two similar photos side by side, that would be the left eye and right eye image from a stero picture (can try it with any camera on your computer screen) can you adjust your eyes to overlap them and see a centre image in 3D? They'll need to be small (or you far away) to work.

HOLA4415

I doubt it (although I may of course be wrong). Magic Eye pictures rely on the same process that gives you depth of vision, they're not an optical illusion in the usual sense. The way they work they give the brain two different images of the same thing at slightly different angles. The repeating patterns are the key. Go cross-eyed or wall-eyed so that you see double, and you, well, see double. But if the double images exactly overlap, and are exactly the same, there's no double to see. However is part of those images has a slightly different spacing that "no overlap, exactly the same" bit is shifted slightly, exactly as it would be if it was a solid image painted in the same pattern.

If you can place two similar photos side by side, that would be the left eye and right eye image from a stero picture (can try it with any camera on your computer screen) can you adjust your eyes to overlap them and see a centre image in 3D? They'll need to be small (or you far away) to work.

I have an idea that nobody could see magic eye pictures - I certainly couldn't - it was all just a gigantic joke at the expense of the gullible.

HOLA4416

As Riedquat says, it was doable if you coudl get your eyes to work that way. Only one defeated me and I put that down to poor printing; I could see the outline of dolphins in it but that was it.

You can also defocus non-magic eye pictures, I can see numbers on a spreadsheet appear behind the screen but don't do it much or often as it gives me a headache.

My huge blindspot ?deafspot is what Mark is picking up on - sound quality. Unless there is clear distortion or a rubbish speaker all of FM / DAB radio tapes / albums / CDs all sound of identical quality to me; and I know that they aren't. It's not like I'm listening to thrash metal or anything. I have CDs for convenience rather than sound quality.

HOLA4417

I have an idea that nobody could see magic eye pictures - I certainly couldn't - it was all just a gigantic joke at the expense of the gullible.

...Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!..

HOLA4418

...Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!..

Erm, we know in great detail how we see three dimensions (clue: we have two eyes). We even know how (some) people with one eye instinctively compensate with a rapid head movement to get synthetic stereo vision.

HOLA4419

Archived