House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

You Know Those Annoying People Walking Along The Street On Their Phones?

The ones who veer from side to side and stop suddenly so that you have to time your moment to be able to walk past them.

Well now there is a cure.

CCTV footage captured the moment a pair of moped-riding thieves snatched mobile phones from the hands of a woman and a man standing on a street in Farringdon, London, on February 16. The footage shows the moped mounting the pavement, taking a phone from the woman, and then doing the same to a man a few feet away moments later. London’s Met Police confirmed they were investigating the incident, but said no arrests had been made. Credit: cctvcameraeurope.com

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/cctv-shows-london-thieves-moped-164116329.html

I wonder if you can summon those guys as you can summon superheroes: "There's somebody on their phone in the precinct, walking, stopping, wandering to one side, cauisng chaos, please help us moped men!"

Great video.

:D

When my black Bakelite type 300 telephone receiving apparatus makes a ringing noise on my desk, my secretary deals with it. And I am far too important to be phoned when walking!

The reaction from both the victims seems strange/no urgency - particularly the guy. The natural response would be to give chase immediately if even for just a few steps before realising the futility - he's just 'meh'. Even the woman takes a few steps, but seems totally non-plus about the theft.

Something not quite right in that footage

I hope I'm not dumb enough to spend my whole life on a smartphone.

The reaction from both the victims seems strange/no urgency - particularly the guy. The natural response would be to give chase immediately if even for just a few steps before realising the futility - he's just 'meh'. Even the woman takes a few steps, but seems totally non-plus about the theft.

That's what Smartphones do to people, they transform them into passive zombies. :ph34r:

Nah, I think it kinda shows the problem with our society now in that people are so cossetted against nasty things happening to them.

IMPO it is indicative of our society where we see photos and videos of nutjobs beheading people, raping girls/women, forcing females into sexual slavery, etc, etc, and videos from nutjobs saying that they want to kill us... but you still have X percentage of the Western population who cannot seem to comprehend the danger.

I think it is all part of the generations who are 'entitled' - they were never physically corrected or punished at school. They weren't even allowed to fail their exams and most of them were taxied back and forth by their parents to this, that and the other. I don't think it is that they are even shocked by such things but that they just do not know how to react.

Nah, I think it kinda shows the problem with our society now in that people are so cossetted against nasty things happening to them.

IMPO it is indicative of our society where we see photos and videos of nutjobs beheading people, raping girls/women, forcing females into sexual slavery, etc, etc, and videos from nutjobs saying that they want to kill us... but you still have X percentage of the Western population who cannot seem to comprehend the danger.

I think it is all part of the generations who are 'entitled' - they were never physically corrected or punished at school. They weren't even allowed to fail their exams and most of them were taxied back and forth by their parents to this, that and the other. I don't think it is that they are even shocked by such things but that they just do not know how to react.

LOL, you need to switch off your TV, stop reading the DM and get out more, you have been brainwashed by the MSM.

The only nutjobs who are killing and robbing us and raping our children are sitting in Westminster, Washington, the City of London, Buckingham Palace, Wall Street and similar places. Those same people with the help of the MSM they own and control are creating one boogieman after another for us so that we don't notice that they themselves are behind all this.

LOL, you need to switch off your TV, stop reading the DM and get out more, you have been brainwashed by the MSM.

The only nutjobs who are killing and robbing us and raping our children are sitting in Westminster, Washington, the City of London, Buckingham Palace, Wall Street and similar places. Those same people with the help of the MSM they own and control are creating one boogieman after another for us so that we don't notice that they themselves are behind all this.

:D

They've probably got insurance

Possibly a fake, you never can tell anymore, if you ever could.

However, I've been aware of these snatch n' grabs for a few years and it made me realise just how easy it is to have your mobile stolen in this manner so I always keep a different grip on the phone when out & about.

Basically, my cellphone cost £40, and any robber is welcome to it. I don't keep any personal information on it. I would just get another one if lost. It is the "Way of Pin".

I knew someone who's mobile was snatched and it was insured so he thought better of getting into a fight over it. End of.

It's called shock.

Real life is not like a Hollywood movie where the good guy would instantly have the presence of mind to commandeer a nearby vehicle and chase after the baddie on the motorbike.

It's called shock.

Real life is not like a Hollywood movie where the good guy would instantly have the presence of mind to commandeer a nearby vehicle and chase after the baddie on the motorbike.

It's more than that. Somebody steals your money at a cashpoint you're shocked. You might run after them or you might freeze with shock, but you will know what has happened imediately.

When you're staring into a phone you can be as absorbed by it as when reading a book. You are sunk into the reality of the screen / book rather than being in the actual reality. So when something happens you have to "wake up" into reality.

I have tried explaining this to people who don't read books, that if I'm reading a (decent) book I go into the book's world and if you interrupt me you break that connection which will then take a while to make again (I might turn back half a dozen pages), it's not like I'm reading a newspaper where you're just taking in bite-sized information. It never works though, they will still chat to you about whatever crosses their minds until I give up and put it down.

If I was stood in the middle of the pavement reading a book and somebody snatched it out of my hand I would react the same way, befuddled and not quite sure what was happening.

Of course I wouldn't stand still in the middle of the pavement reading a book. Unlike some phone users.