House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long time lurking

Cover Songs

(Original was Robert Knight)

Love Affair - Everlasting Love

.. and..

Sandra - Everlasting Love

This is actually one of my all time favourite songs and the perfect version is still yet to be made.

Sometime songs get covered many, many times without varying much from the original.

Dancing in the Moonlight has been a hit several times for different artists but nearly all the successful versions are pretty close to Sherman Kelly's original recording with Boffalongo way back in 1969. Kelly also appeared as keyboard player on the King Harvest version in 1970.

Bet he has made more in royalties as the writer of the song than he ever did performing it

The Phil Collins version of 'You can't hurry love' is streets ahead of the Supremes original.

The other one that always springs to mind is Todd Terrys remix of Missing by Everything But The Girl. Turns a completely ordinary song, particularly a very weak chorus into something really good.

Whitney Houston's version of I will all love you was considered better than Dolly's original back in the 90s. A bit of a puzzler for me, frankly the range of volume Whitney used to blast out made it pretty unlistenable for me, really needed to reach for the ear plugs. Did seem to suit women of a certain age and I reckon they may have hearing problems to be able to withstand the louder bits.

The Phil Collins version of 'You can't hurry love' is streets ahead of the Supremes original.

The other one that always springs to mind is Todd Terrys remix of Missing by Everything But The Girl. Turns a completely ordinary song, particularly a very weak chorus into something really good.

Matter of opinion I guess, I thought he ruined a Motown classic.

Roberta Flack's 'First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' has become the definitive version due to her arrangement but is a cover of a Ewan MacColl ( Kirsty MacColl's father) original.

Guest eight

Don't know if this is "better", but at least I like this one whereas I never really cared for the original.