House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

We've Just Lost Eurovision

Listen to this dire blandness if you can; I didn't make it to the end.

Pop duo Joe and Jake have been selected to represent the UK at May's Eurovision Song Contest in Sweden. :mellow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35670087

It's deliberate losing isn't it?

The only decent recent(ish) one IMO was this one; which was fun and catchy but got nowhere:

You've started this year's Eurovision thread. How very dare you.

I saw the tail end of the programme.

Either we want to lose, or, we just don't really 'get' Eurovision. And even when we do on rare occasions (Gina G was a blinder thanks to the ex-Motiv8 guy who wrote it) we still don't win.

Whoever wrote this has clearly heard some OMD and maybe that Temper Trap song "Sweet Disposition" from a few years back.

Whereas I was very quick to condemn last year's dreadful effort I'll hold back on judging this one for the moment.

It's not going to win without exceptional staging and even then it has a hard task ahead.

But it's not really 'Eurovision', is it..

"You're Not Alone"

Dear me even a try on to use the topical referendum to garner votes in the song contest. It'll probably be used in the run up to the referendum as well. No trick unturned.

That "winning" song could be found on The Feeling's greatest hits...Pretty much insipid and forgettable...There's too many generic boy band type vocals that seem to blend into one another...I'd like something totally different ..perhaps something properly guitary for once and a bit noisey, not just a boring cheesy eurobeat with male/female vocalist over the top of it (which typically now don't win)....

That "winning" song could be found on The Feeling's greatest hits...Pretty much insipid and forgettable...There's too many generic boy band type vocals that seem to blend into one another...I'd like something totally different ..perhaps something properly guitary for once and a bit noisey, not just a boring eurobeat with male/female vocalist over the top of it (which typically now don't win)....

Here you go - the winner in 2006

I still can't believe:

- that it won (staging, costumes? wasn't the song, was it)

- that it was 10 years ago

I might have to cleanse myself with some music from a guy on a beach in Italy.. E L'estate di va..

Nor this.. the lovely Roberto, so nervous - aah.

Poor choreography and a less than great vocal performance.

But such a good pop record. So delightfully old-fashioned. And way out of my vocal range.

You've started this year's Eurovision thread. How very dare you.

I saw the tail end of the programme.

Either we want to lose, or, we just don't really 'get' Eurovision. And even when we do on rare occasions (Gina G was a blinder thanks to the ex-Motiv8 guy who wrote it) we still don't win.

Whoever wrote this has clearly heard some OMD and maybe that Temper Trap song "Sweet Disposition" from a few years back.

Whereas I was very quick to condemn last year's dreadful effort I'll hold back on judging this one for the moment.

It's not going to win without exceptional staging and even then it has a hard task ahead.

But it's not really 'Eurovision', is it..

Sorry Mark, I'd forgotten it was on and then saw the story in The Telegraph so had a listen and then posted without thinking...

As every year I was hopeful that this year we'd be in with a chance and yet again was deflated.

It has to work on first listen as that's all it's going to get and this doesn't. It may be a good song that will grow on me but that won't help it.

I thought it was worth trying that swing number and that innuendo airline song as they were distinctive and might have gone somewhere. Pop orthodoxy doesn't work in this contest, I thought we knew that.

And you're spot on with Gina G, the perfect Eurovision song and it should have won.

Thought it was the best of the batch, I heard some Coldplay / Muse influence :ph34r:

I think they hate us now, so no chance anyway.

The wow songs seem very few and far between these days. A catchy chorus is just not enough to sustain a song.

Even "Viz" could not have predicted Eurovision. Abba were good though.