House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Nasty Cough - December 2015 Onwards

I either have cancer or this is the cough from hell. Week 8? No longer producing that much flem but they coughing fits are still horrendous? It's 90% better than it was but still so so do annoying.

This should have healed by now.36 years old no underlying health problems afaik.

Will I die?

Yes, you will die. But probably not this week.

Go and see your GP. Get an x-ray done. It could be asthma, an allergy or some kind of COPD. But you need to see a doc, get some tests done and see what happens.

A simple asthma steroid inhaler for a few weeks might cure any inflammation you have in your lungs/airways.

It's tuberculosis, er, maybe. Anyway a trip to a doctor can't be bad.

I've been the same.

First saw a doctor December the 14th, I still have quite powerful coughing fits.

Over Christmas week I managed to tear a muscle along my sternum, that really made coughing painful.

As an aside, the A and E at both Coventry and Rugby had to close to all but the worst emergencies for a few days in January because of people turning up with chest infections.

Its the mild weather, A decent period of cold weather would kill the bugs causing this.

The fact that you have been coughing up phelgm - not bloody I take it? - sounds as if you have just had a nasty cough due to some kind of viral infection. The lungs are probably just incredibly inflammed/sore now and it will take some time for them to recover.

One of the benefits of having an asthma inhaler is that the steroids in them are superb for dealing with the inflammation in sore lungs after a bout of flu/coughing.

The fact that you have been coughing up phelgm - not bloody I take it? - sounds as if you have just had a nasty cough due to some kind of viral infection. The lungs are probably just incredibly inflammed/sore now and it will take some time for them to recover.

One of the benefits of having an asthma inhaler is that the steroids in them are superb for dealing with the inflammation in sore lungs after a bout of flu/coughing.

I suspect it's a chest infection. Other family members who have had an equal amount of coughing have all been prescribed drugs. Asthma runs in the family. Don't know if I might have a bit of it too. Might go and bother the doc then. Just need to register. Faff.

I had a virus last year which started around late February and lasted until May.

Began as a cold, progressed to a "chest infection" and I suspect then a bout of bronchitis to finish.

Had the same thing when I was 26.

Nothing so far this year; unlike back then when so many had the same thing to varying degrees, I don't know of anyone else ill at the moment.

Pretty much everyone I know has had a proper bitch of a cold/flu lay them low this winter. Mine was in early January; took me out for 6 days with a high temperature and generally feeling awful. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I stopped coughing up horrible looking flegm. It hasn't killed anyone I know yet so I think it's just a particularly nasty cold virus.

I think I caught it when I went to see the first showing of Star Wars at midnight when I was knackered and my immune must have been low. That was mid December and I can still feel I've got it lurking in me. I was full of phlegm, thick snot and gunky eyes for a good week or so then it dried out to a cough for a few weeks. I'm still phlegmy when I get up and I can still feel myself short of breath. It's a ******* of a thing.

Go and see the quack.

I developed a cough over Xmas when I was on holidays in the Canaries. Put it down to the hot cold thing moving between the outside environment and freezing air conditioning systems.

It was present all the way through January but under the surface. it wasn't bothering me so I assumed it would get better on it's own. Went to the Caribbean end of Jan and had another hot cold episode. Swam in a mountain lake to see a waterfall in Dominica and got very cold, so cold it took my breath away and I had to use the a flotation device to get to safety. The sea was around 25c this lake/stream was about 15c. Later that afternoon I forgot my hat and got sunstroke on a walk along the prom. This was two days before we came home. Gradually deteriorated and felt like crap on the flight home. Next evening I had trouble breathing getting my breath and even taking a shower was too much work. Had to sit still and concentrate on my breathing to get it back to a regular pattern

Went to see the quack the next day. He listened and said I have a bad chest infection. Prescribed Amoxycillin 500mg and a steroid tablet (25mg) which I had to take 6 a day for a week. I felt right as rain within 24 hours.

The moral is something could be seriously wrong even if you don't think it is....

It's quite common to cough for 3 weeks, often longer, after viral infections.

There's quite a nasty viral cough around at the moment.

Whooping cough can also happen in adults (even if vaccinated).

There's other (non-infective) causes of a persistent cough.

I'd second the recommendation to get a GP to listen to your chest and to see if any further investigations or treatment are needed.

I've been the same.

First saw a doctor December the 14th, I still have quite powerful coughing fits.

Over Christmas week I managed to tear a muscle along my sternum, that really made coughing painful.

As an aside, the A and E at both Coventry and Rugby had to close to all but the worst emergencies for a few days in January because of people turning up with chest infections.

Its the mild weather, A decent period of cold weather would kill the bugs causing this.

It's the opposite - viruses last longer in cold weather - hence why colds, flu, norovirus etc spread more easily in winter.

I think I've just turned the corner on a phlegmy cold that kicked in just before Christmas.

I'd be really worried if I fainted and would demand all sorts of tests.

Generally I avoid pills and Doctors like the, er, plague but certain things need checking out. Blood in urine would equally have me banging on their door.

Quack it is then. Feck I hate antibiotics

Then take your nice wholesome placebo and see how quickly things improve.

I've had a few of these persistent coughs in recent years. They eventually go away with the coming of warm weather.

Amoxicillin gives me diahorrea and slight nausea. But it's worth it if it gets rid of a nasty virus or clears up the bacteria in a tooth causing an abscess.