House Price Crash Forum
reverand_cat

House Prices: Is Aberdeen's Slump A Portent For London?

Yeah both have expensive houses....

A big difference is that people will want to live in London regardless.

It is the top world city for tourism spend and will continue to be in the top 5 as it has so much to offer.

Aberdeen is a crap heap by comparison, has (had) nothing besides easy jobs for big wages.

No bohemian atmosphere, cold, has little in the way of cultural attraction, and is falling apart after just 1.5 years of depressed oil price.

Imagine it in a decade!

It is the top world city for tourism spend and will continue to be in the top 5 as it has so much to offer.

Aberdeen is a crap heap by comparison, has (had) nothing besides easy jobs for big wages.

No bohemian atmosphere, cold, has little in the way of cultural attraction, and is falling apart after just 1.5 years of depressed oil price.

Imagine it in a decade!

I wouldn't say its a dump, i'd sooner live in a place like Aberdeen if it had the tropical climate of Southern England and no Scottish people than the place that resembles a 3rd world shythole known as London.

Edited by The12YearWait

Lots of people might have wanted to live in London even until say year 2000 despite relatively high house prices. Since then it's become increasingly an out and out rough dump with mega crazy house prices.

The only hope now is that it doesn't spread its dumpy contagion - but it's probably too late for that already.

Edited by billybong

Much of London looks like a scruffy dump to me.

The tidy parts are all squashed together, have railways nearby, huge main roads, noisy aircraft overhead.

The air is filthy.

People witter on about the culture, multi racialethnicreligious aspect, allegedly it is 'exciting' (Using 'exciting' in its advertising meaning)

Other than the money, why on earth would anyone want to live there?

I'm glad I didn't buy an inflated price house, when I lived in Aberdeen. I disagree. It's a nice place to live apart from the weather and gas bills. London is generally a bit shit, unless you are mega rich!

I'm glad I didn't buy an inflated price house, when I lived in Aberdeen. I disagree. It's a nice place to live apart from the weather and gas bills. London is generally a bit shit, unless you are mega rich!

I am sure this could be worked up into our next offering for the Euro-vision song contest:

London is generally a bit shit,

unless you are mega rich!

Repeat and repeat whilst strutting around a stage with lots of lights and Lycra or alternatively dressed like characters from Oliver.

Edited by dougless

I am sure this could be worked up into our next offering for the Euro-vision song contest:

London is generally a bit shit,

unless you are mega rich!

Repeat and repeat whilst strutting around a stage with lots of lights and Lycra or alternatively dressed like characters from Oliver.

I think you will find the mega rich don't actually 'live' in London....they may hold a bolt hole there....

I wouldn't mind living in Aberdeen.

London might have a few interesting places to visit for a day trip. But most places you could actually afford to live in even on a good salary are seriously unpleasant and at least a little bit dangerous. You would be mad to bring children up in London, sending them to the local comprehensive would probably ruin them for life.

But back to the topic in hand: I doubt there is that much connection between Aberdeen and London house prices.

Edited by reddog

House Prices: Is Aberdeen's Slump A Portent For London?

Just to say that under normal circumstance they would be linked as assets fell in price. Gold for instance dropping at about the same time as oil and Aberdeen house prices.

Imagine it in a decade!

I'd rather not live in either.

London's economy isn't almost totally dependent on one sector, but at the same time I am curious as to why anyone outside of an exceptionally high paying sector like investment banking would actually want to live in London given the quality of life they would be able to afford, in contrast to other cities. Like, if you're a teacher, a civil engineer or a nurse, for example, what's the appeal behind London?

London's economy isn't almost totally dependent on one sector, but at the same time I am curious as to why anyone outside of an exceptionally high paying sector like investment banking would actually want to live in London given the quality of life they would be able to afford, in contrast to other cities. Like, if you're a teacher, a civil engineer or a nurse, for example, what's the appeal behind London?

As a born and bred Londoner I would say extended family and some good friends, though quite a few of them no longer live there now. ;)

London is good for business.....it has certainly got a high foot flow/fall, just what you want is growing numbers of people with an adequate free disposable income available to spend into the local economy......only takes a small decline in higher numbers of peoples personal prosperity to see increased street sleeping, begging, theft and unrest, thus turning a nice looking affluent prosperous place into a volatile, edgy, uncertain place.....

Edited by winkie

London's economy also has mass tourism and the fact the government are there to tax the rest of the nation to fund the place be it through higher tax payer funded wages, housing benefit etc... or the endless amounts of high paying taxpayer funded jobs ... and fake charities that benefit to the tune of 10s of billions a year.

Edited by The12YearWait

As a born and bred Londoner I would say extended family and some good friends, though quite a few of them no longer live there now. ;)

I'll bet you like a good knees-up round the old joanna, with a pint of mild, and some whelks! I am from London myself and I don't recognise it now. It certainly was an OK place once. You could come to MrPin;s Cockney Theme Park for turnipheads, and Cydermen.

I'll bet you like a good knees-up round the old joanna, with a pint of mild, and some whelks! I am from London myself and I don't recognise it now. It certainly was an OK place once. You could come to MrPin;s Cockney Theme Park for turnipheads, and Cydermen.

Ssssh we don't need any more Londoners moving out down into Kent driving up prices even more. Let them stay in London and enjoy the "culture" or whatever it's called

To be fair, without oil Aberdeen would be exactly like Dundee or any other Scottish coast town. It might take years to drag it down in house price terms, but what else is there to sustain prices above average?

In fact, there are probably too many houses of high standard versus the future salaries. Someone might get a relative bargain in time.