House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Liberal Or Conservative?

Can this 30-second test determine whether you're liberal or conservative?

Answer these five questions and we'll tell you whether we think you're more left wing or more right wing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12173963/Can-this-30-second-test-determine-whether-youre-liberal-or-conservative.html

Apparently, I am "mostly left wing".

I wouldn't have said so.

I only tend to read the Guardian more than the Telegraph because, of the two, the quality of the journalism of the former wipes the floor with the latter, and the Telegraph is just a propaganda rag barely one step above The Daily Mail.

And Owen Jones and the child-like left-wingers and commenters do make me giggle and despair in equal measure.

So in answer to the question posed by the title of the test: "No, it cannot." Unless it's mixing up being left-wing with being liberal, perhaps since the latter is in the title but the former is the stated result.

I did the test and apparently I am slightly right of a bloke called Himmler ?

That is interesting. Lately I've come to the conclusion that left and right is more or less hardwired into our personalities. That's why neither side ever seems to be able to sway the other through argument. The left try to sway the right through emotional manipulation and the right try to sway the left using reason. Either side could gain an advantage by switching tactics IMO.

Look up r Vs. K evolutionary theory for an interesting bit of speculation as to how humans have evolved...

The left try to sway the right through emotional manipulation and the right try to sway the left using reason. Either side could gain an advantage by switching tactics IMO.

I haven't found that to work. For instance:

"For how long should we pay someone unemployment benefits? 3 months? 3 years? 30 years?"

"For as long as they need it" (if you get an answer, normally, no answer is forthcoming - brain has fused perhaps at the audacity of the question)

"If we spend money on this, we don't have the money to spend on that. How are we to support X group of people who are the most needy?"

"Find more money"

and so on.

That's silly.

I pick each time the simpler construction because that's what I'm more likely to say.

The test is really: "Do you say things normally or in an over-elaborate fashion?".

That's silly.

I pick each time the simpler construction because that's what I'm more likely to say.

The test is really: "Do you say things normally or in an over-elaborate fashion?".

I stared at the first question for some time.

The two statements can be mutually exclusive because one is a state of being at the time and the other is a generalised, default mode of behaviour.

The two statements can be mutually exclusive because one is a state of being at the time and the other is a generalised, default mode of behaviour.

You can pull shades of meaning out if it but I didn't think that was the purpose of the test.

I mentally pictured myself making a cup of tea in the kitchen at work and talking to a workmate about another workmate. I would use economy of effort and say someone was (for example) an optimist rather than that they had an optimistic outlook (or whatever it was). I leave linguistic precision for written work.

I do think unemployment benefits ought to be tax related. They used to be (It was called earnings related supplement). I paid in and I want some back in the hard times. Meant I got £20 a week instead of £14. Happy days, eh, a pint was only 30p back then.

People imagine they are left or right wing, but in reality they are not! Otherwise you are following a party line, and not thinking.

That's silly.

The test is really "Are you simple?"

It looks to me like a straightforward case of whether you define people by their obvious characteristics, or whether you simply note their characteristics as describing a part of them as they are at that particular moment.

For example, "David is a homosexual" is the way the Daily Mail would phrase it, defining someone only by their sexuality. "David is homosexual" recognises his sexual preference, but also recognises that there are many more characteristics he has that we aren't privy to, so it simply describes the part of him that we can see at this moment.

I think maybe it more accurately highlights right wing people than left or liberal. According to the test I'm "mostly left", which is not how I would describe myself at all.

It made me mostly left wing. I have never been even remotely left wing. I first voted Conservative in 1974 and have never doubted that I was right to.

The Conservatives in 1974 were very different.

I did that too. It says I'm mostly left wing. I'm not.