House Price Crash Forum

Nasty Stomach Cold/flu Going Round?

Big Orange

HOLA441

OK, I spoke too soon and had disturbed sleep last night (but there was a lot less pain than when I had the supposed virus - pushing my gut when it's still recovering?). My plumbing functions and I feel better again in of myself, just take it easy into the next month and svoid rich food.

And looking at online new there is notable a spike in stomach and bowl disturbences worldwide...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I've been feeling dreadful most of this week; constantly tired, very low mood, just wanting to curl up and go do sleep pretty much. Had trouble focusing on my screen in work. Also been feeling a tad short of breath. Total mess basically.

I figured it was a spell of depression but maybe I actually have a spot of something. I don't seem to get colds and stuff as often as most folk do so maybe I'm overdue something.

HOLA443

I've been feeling dreadful most of this week; constantly tired, very low mood, just wanting to curl up and go do sleep pretty much. Had trouble focusing on my screen in work. Also been feeling a tad short of breath. Total mess basically.

I figured it was a spell of depression but maybe I actually have a spot of something. I don't seem to get colds and stuff as often as most folk do so maybe I'm overdue something.

Whilst my actual go to bed overheating ill lasted twelve hours or so I was like this for a couple of days before and after. Not unwell enough to be off work but really struggling to get anything done as I didn't feel right.

HOLA444

Whilst my actual go to bed overheating ill lasted twelve hours or so I was like this for a couple of days before and after. Not unwell enough to be off work but really struggling to get anything done as I didn't feel right.

You should not be driving a 38 tonner in that state!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Sometimes I even had to put my book down.

Why are you "somehow" associated with the trucking industry? Maybe it is your future?

HOLA447

I've had this stomach flu thing for a week now, came on as just a regular cold but soon started getting really bad wind and stomach pains. What makes this unique from any other kind of thing I have "caught" in the past is the almost constant hunger pains, stomach gargling and twisting like I haven't eaten in days despite eating regular meals daily. I'm quite relieved to hear this is a common thing going around at the moment, I scared myself somewhat by self diagnosing online. I was starting to worry that I may have Crohns Disease or something similar lol.

I seem to be slowly recovering, last night was the first night in 5 days that I didn't wake up after just 2 or 3 hours sleep with incredible hunger pains. I really cannot describe the feeling of those pains, it feels like the stomach is inflated to the point that it may burst if you make any sudden movements. Couple that with lots of stomach acid and general cold symptoms adn it makes for a very uncomfortable existence.

For anyone suffering this right now I can tell you what helped me. Co-Codamol worked wonders, 2 tablets every 4 hours would calm my stomach muscles and reduced the pain and discomfort from an 8/10 down to maybe a 3 or 4/10. I tried Paracetamol, Aspirin and Ibuprofen in different combos but none seemed to help much. The Codeine and Paracetamol combo in the Co-Codamol worked great though.

HOLA448

Jesus, that sounds very similar to what I'm finally getting over now after two weeks (including the wave of belly acid), but it has slightly different symptoms and duration (ie. Frank Hovis had similar symptoms to what we endured for many days but got over the worst of it within 48 hours).

HOLA449

I've had this stomach flu thing for a week now, came on as just a regular cold but soon started getting really bad wind and stomach pains. What makes this unique from any other kind of thing I have "caught" in the past is the almost constant hunger pains, stomach gargling and twisting like I haven't eaten in days despite eating regular meals daily. I'm quite relieved to hear this is a common thing going around at the moment, I scared myself somewhat by self diagnosing online. I was starting to worry that I may have Crohns Disease or something similar lol.

I seem to be slowly recovering, last night was the first night in 5 days that I didn't wake up after just 2 or 3 hours sleep with incredible hunger pains. I really cannot describe the feeling of those pains, it feels like the stomach is inflated to the point that it may burst if you make any sudden movements. Couple that with lots of stomach acid and general cold symptoms adn it makes for a very uncomfortable existence.

For anyone suffering this right now I can tell you what helped me. Co-Codamol worked wonders, 2 tablets every 4 hours would calm my stomach muscles and reduced the pain and discomfort from an 8/10 down to maybe a 3 or 4/10. I tried Paracetamol, Aspirin and Ibuprofen in different combos but none seemed to help much. The Codeine and Paracetamol combo in the Co-Codamol worked great though.

I'm on my second week with this thing. Thought I was on the mend after my first unbroken night's sleep - but back down with the chills/headaches by lunchtime. Thankfully I work from home so signed myself out of work and went back to bed for a few hours sleep. Missus is into her fourth week of not feeling quite right.

The Crohn's disease experience tends to be rather worse I'm afraid. Think John Hurt in Alien - except it lasts for hours and the alien never actually chews its way out.

HOLA4410

Jesus, sorry to read about that. Why isn't this in the media like mumps?

I myself is recovering fairly quickly now, but still in the OK but slightly off camp. Some mild dehydration and my lower back pain, though greatly diminished, seems to annoyingly linger on.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Checking in.

Flattened for 24 hours, but then good again. Thought it was going to last for ages the way I felt, but it passed quickly. Not fun.

On the bright side I could temporarily be eligible for the 10% body fat thread now.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Just getting over it.

Started with stomach acid, bloated feeling for a few days, temp. of 100 for one day, light headed and giddy. burning sensation when peeing, frequent need to pee, diarrhoea followed by constipation.

Starting to feel better, son has had a similar but milder version,

daughter reported sore throat and then better.

Son in law and Grand children fine.

My symptoms and my son's have lasted 2 weeks, daughter only 48 hours so perhaps a different illness.

HOLA4416

The most common cause of gastroenteritis (squits and vomit) in adults at this time of year is norovirus. Takes 48 hours after your last symptom before you stop being infectious. Unlike in Sweden where this is common knowledge, many people in the UK go back to work as soon as spray stops coming out of both ends and so infect everybody at work.

HOLA4417

The most common cause of gastroenteritis (squits and vomit) in adults at this time of year is norovirus. Takes 48 hours after your last symptom before you stop being infectious. Unlike in Sweden where this is common knowledge, many people in the UK go back to work as soon as spray stops coming out of both ends and so infect everybody at work.

"I feel fine but aren't coming back yet" gets you treated as pulling a sickie in most places, even if going back screws everything up when everyone gets ill.

The last time I got it I was away from home so it would've probably just been everyone else on the train who got affected, not work (another reason for disliking crappy modern cram everyone in train designs).

HOLA4418

"I feel fine but aren't coming back yet" gets you treated as pulling a sickie in most places, even if going back screws everything up when everyone gets ill.

Yeah, I worked in a fairly crowded office where maybe a third of the staff went down with norovirus one after the other because people kept coming back before they stopped being infectious. Nowadays, whenever one of my reports calls in sick with norovirus I always tell them not to come back for 48 hours after the last symptom. I'd rather lose 2 days of a slightly sick person's time than 10-15 days of perfectly healthy people's time.

HOLA4419

I've had some amazing flatulence. I'm sure you all wanted to know that. I don't think aspirin or paracetamol is good for stomachs. Immodium is my friend!

HOLA4420

Yeah, I worked in a fairly crowded office where maybe a third of the staff went down with norovirus one after the other because people kept coming back before they stopped being infectious. Nowadays, whenever one of my reports calls in sick with norovirus I always tell them not to come back for 48 hours after the last symptom. I'd rather lose 2 days of a slightly sick person's time than 10-15 days of perfectly healthy people's time.

Yep, I say the same to the people I line manage. I tell them they can work from home if they are really that bored. Trouble is non-infected colleagues are just as likely to pick up nasties from their tube/bus commute.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I think your more likely to catch bugs & illnesses from mixing with co-workers.

Someone brings their own problem to work and spreads it around hoping to avoid a sickness / time off disciplinary etc

Very selfish.

Like those who get on cruise ships carrying Norovirus.

I think that's the point, it sounds like Norovirus to me.

We had a few spates of this in our house when we had 2 toddlers in the house, fortunately now they almost 4 and just gone 5, they have had impressed on them the importance of washing their hands after using the toilet and not putting dirty things in their mouths. And low and behold we have had zero norovirus issues in the house this year.

As an adult Norovirus is hard to avoid when you have a sick toddler vomiting over you, but easier to prevent if if the kids follow the simple hygiene practices followed by adults.

HOLA4423

I'd say it's 100% norovirus.

The best thing you can do is banish all toddlers from the house (joking), and then make sure you change and launder all bed sheers, towels, dressing gowns etc; bleach all the toilets including the seats; mop the floor with dilute bleach; and wipe down any door handles with an anti-viral wipes including fridge doors; and don't share water glasses

HOLA4424

Is there a particulary nasty Stomach illness going about? I myself have been plagued by moderately severe tummy/bowl problems (which includes disturbing back sensations and pale yellow stool once) and when I was sitting on the sofa the previous weekend I thought the radiator behind it was too hot, but realised it was my lower back overheating!

Anyway I booked myself in for a GP appointment this Monday and suspect it's a virus (I emailed a friend who said he had rectal bleeding that seemed more serious than it was and could be down to viral infection, while another friend posted he had very odd severe head/neck/arm pains instead).

Anyway my nasty tummy/back cramps are subsiding, I'm going to the toilet more normally (with mild dehydration and constapation), I feel a lot less like crap, but oddly sluggish and relaxed, like after a serious medical operation.

Is there a particulary nasty Stomach illness going about? I myself have been plagued by moderately severe tummy/bowl problems (which includes disturbing back sensations and pale yellow stool once) and when I was sitting on the sofa the previous weekend I thought the radiator behind it was too hot, but realised it was my lower back overheating!

Anyway I booked myself in for a GP appointment this Monday and suspect it's a virus (I emailed a friend who said he had rectal bleeding that seemed more serious than it was and could be down to viral infection, while another friend posted he had very odd severe head/neck/arm pains instead).

Anyway my nasty tummy/back cramps are subsiding, I'm going to the toilet more normally (with mild dehydration and constapation), I feel a lot less like crap, but oddly sluggish and relaxed, like after a serious medical operation.

Sounds more like Campylobacter (bacterial food poisoning)- especially in the absence of vomiting

HOLA4425

The best thing you can do is banish all toddlers from the house (joking), and then make sure you change and launder all bed sheers, towels, dressing gowns etc; bleach all the toilets including the seats; mop the floor with dilute bleach; and wipe down any door handles with an anti-viral wipes including fridge doors; and don't share water glasses

In the absence of Vomiting its highly unlikely to be Norovirus

Archived