House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Don't Play The Lottery If You Won't Enjoy It

Just read a story tonight about some one whp won the lottery 32M and is going to keep his council allotment.

bastaerd.

Its like the people who say they will keep working. They shouldnt waste the money on a ticket.

It is tradition to leave your long term partner if you win and elope with a weirdo from the internet.

I await further instructions, should you win.

At least half the audience, on here, would still be tumble drying teabags, for re-use, even if they'd won millions on the lottery - I wouldn't rule out that some haven't already.

At least half the audience, on here, would still be tumble drying teabags, for re-use, even if they'd won millions on the lottery - I wouldn't rule out that some haven't already.

Don't be stupid - that would cost money. Peg them out on the washing line.

Hogging things that other people can't have is enjoying it.

Lolz

But if you haven't won the lottery, you'll have to stick to this type of hogging, for cheap thrills.

Image4.jpg

Hogging things that that other people can't have is enjoying it.

Lolz

All the hassle of shared space? Gawd I'd be happy as a pig in well rotted manure on my own few acres.

But yeah the dogs in manger thing probably works for some.

I wouldn't splash out on clothes or jewellery or expensive teabags. Him indoors would want at least one new car.

But we'd move.

I would leave this allotment a legacy fund though. :)

I've picked out where I'm off when I win. (tomorrow, please let it be tomorrow.)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52414153.html

Always a question of what house(s) you'd buy if you won tens of millions. Personally I think I'd go with a house of a size that I could maintain myself without needing managed maintenance, or having to hire someone to manage that. Obviously I'd have residences in probably at least 3 countries and then I reckon the rest of the time would be spend in hotels/villas.

Not going to ponder it too long though, haven't even purchased a ticket!

Always a question of what house(s) you'd buy if you won tens of millions. Personally I think I'd go with a house of a size that I could maintain myself without needing managed maintenance, or having to hire someone to manage that. Obviously I'd have residences in probably at least 3 countries and then I reckon the rest of the time would be spend in hotels/villas.

Not going to ponder it too long though, haven't even purchased a ticket!

That's it though. Whilst the house Sarah linked was lovely, and with all the privacy 35 acres affords you, the sheer size of it, the three additional cottages, and the acres of formal gardens mean that you either work 10 hour days maintaining it all or you have to hire and manage staff, if you let the cottages then you have to deal with bookings and guests, all crowding in upon your privacy. So you are giving up your job to take on another job of estate and staff management.

I do buy on multiple roll-overs, but if I win all it would mean would be some extra digits on a statement, sorry Sarah :ph34r:

Think of it as my saving you from going on an allotment spending spree and then having to go into allotment rehab.

I do buy on multiple roll-overs, but if I win all it would mean would be some extra digits on a statement, sorry Sarah :ph34r:

Think of it as my saving you from going on an allotment spending spree and then having to go into allotment rehab.

If that's all it means then why buy the ticket for the mega-rollovers? If it's just security then just play it when it's small.

If that's all it means then why buy the ticket for the mega-rollovers? If it's just security then just play it when it's small.

Value: if there have been three rollovers then I am getting £8 of tickets contributing to the prize funds for my £2. So even the smaller prizes become more substantial.

Frequency: I don't want to be lashing out £8 a week on tickets (two national lottery and two euro millions draws) every week for something that I'm not that bothered about. Only buying on multiple rollovers (and I don't even do that methodically, just when I hear about them) means that I'm spending about £40 a year rather than £400.

Not sure what I'd do. I like it where I am, although it's not my 100% ideal place (either part of the country or specific location). The specific bit could be improved if I won enough to buy up the scrapyard and clear it out, just have a field there, but I'm not going to be able to get rid of the dual carriageway (between a scrap yard and a dual carriageway - sounds a lot worse than it actually is).

@SarahBell (stupid forum s/ware not letting me quote)

He wants to win so that other people can't waste it on handbags and gladrags.

surely if you win the lottery it is your duty to spend, spend, spend. It is hot, fast, money. It should be sprayed liberally in the local area on local goods and services to benefit many more people than yourself.

The advantages for me would be:

• total financial security
  • the ability to make a positive change if something came up - e.g. buying a local area of pristine woodland to preserve it
  • and, whilst I hadn't thought of it, the fact that there would be one less champagne-drinking Ferrari driver around would be a plus

I'd be able to buy the world's largest turnip. I could hollow it out and call it home.

The "World's largest Turnip" challenge will be held here this year, in Gurt Clodney. Our immigrant Swiss population have taken up the "World's smallest Alpine Horn challenge. Some can fit in a computer bag!

The advantages for me would be:

• total financial security
  • the ability to make a positive change if something came up - e.g. buying a local area of pristine woodland to preserve it
  • and, whilst I hadn't thought of it, the fact that there would be one less champagne-drinking Ferrari driver around would be a plus

I bought some woodland, I pass it on the motorway sometimes but not really sure why I bought it now. It's just ended up an arboreal version of an old building society passbook with a few thousands pounds in, you forget all about really.

The only things I think I really want, if I could afford, would be a nuclear-powered submarine or aircraft carrier but a lottery win wouldn't really fund either of those.

Not sure what I'd do. I like it where I am, although it's not my 100% ideal place (either part of the country or specific location). The specific bit could be improved if I won enough to buy up the scrapyard and clear it out, just have a field there, but I'm not going to be able to get rid of the dual carriageway (between a scrap yard and a dual carriageway - sounds a lot worse than it actually is).

You're like the anti-lotto lout as didn't he buy a field and turn it into a scrapyard?

I bought some woodland, I pass it on the motorway sometimes but not really sure why I bought it now. It's just ended up an arboreal version of an old building society passbook with a few thousands pounds in, you forget all about really.

The only things I think I really want, if I could afford, would be a nuclear-powered submarine or aircraft carrier but a lottery win wouldn't really fund either of those.

There was one bit on the A30 that used to increasingly tempt me but it went "sold" before the temptation became too much.