House Price Crash Forum

Essex Coast From Maldon To Harwich

Austin Allegro

HOLA441

I'm looking for places to live between, roughly, Maldon and Harwich on the Essex coast, along the route of the A12.

My ideal place would be a detached or end of terrace cottage with garden, preferably within walking distance of some shops and a pub, with a railway station as a bonus. Max price £170k

Any suggestions? I know to avoid Jaywick on Sea but that's the only place I've seen that's a no-no so far.

Places that look good include:

Walton on the Naze

St Osyth

Brightlingsea

Maldon

Mersey Island

Manningtree/Mistley

HOLA442

You might take a look how close you are to Bradfield Nuclear power stn.

The current magnox reactor is shut down and to be demolished. (hope they take more care than at Didcott).

However it is one of the favoured sites for a new reactor. Presumably to be made from Chinese steel which is polluted with sulphur from scrapped steel made in the cultural revolution.

This is why hitting something with cheap Chinese steel hammer produces shards that fly off the hammer head.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Stayed a night in Brightlingsea once. We had a bottle of wine in a restaurant, that was literally hot. It must have been sitting on the cooker. Or maybe they only drink their wine mulled in Brightlingsea. There was a hen party at another table that was sexually harrassing us.

I think there was one Indian and one Chinese restaurant. Don't remeber much else.

HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

St osyth is probably your best bet at that price. For gods sake keep away from Walton. However some places up the road at Kirby and/or towards Thorpe are OK.

Thanks - what's the problem with Walton though? It's always seemed quite nice and quiet when I've been there, a slightly downmarket version of Frinton, but without the real chavviness of Clacton.