House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Mrpin Thinks About Saxophones

Now that I have a bit of a tax rebate, I might try a saxophone. Does any one here know about them? A beginner with a guitar would be delighted with a £200 one nowadays, but I already know something of guitars. Saxophones are a mystery, and start at about £200. Like guitars you could spend a lot on one. :rolleyes::o

You could almost certainly get yourself a rusty trombone for that sort of money.

That wasn't the helpful answer I was thinking of!

I could certainly advise on which guitars to avoid (depending on your needs), but I'll be a novice with a metal "woodwind" instrument. I can't do trombones, or trumpets. I have tried!

A saxophone is definitely something appropriate for a tax rebate. Approved.

A taxophone? It will be an alto size. I like the idea of a contra-bass one, but it's as big as a refinery burn-off stack, and costs nearly as much.

You could blow an awful lot on a saxophone. :unsure::lol:

Well I hope I will, but I was thinking more of the money aspect. :unsure: Maybe there will be a saxophone forum? I'm sure there will be! There's a forum for everthing. Maybe a used one will be OK. Obvioulsy I'll not be buying from anyone with unusual sores in an isolation tent. :o

I have a clarinet. Same sort of principals but cheaper. Can't play it. :)

Did you get a book with it? It can't be difficult, or there would never be orchestras!

Have you no idea how difficult the cymbals are????

It's the whole point of an orchestra, or a brass band even, that no one person plays all the notes.

Although I will pay all the notes as I have a 16 channel digital recording thing I hardly ever use! :blink:

Did you get a book with it? It can't be difficult, or there would never be orchestras!

Never tried the sax myself (quiet at the back), but I'm told it's a bugger to learn. Maybe better sticking to the guitar...

Never tried the sax myself (quiet at the back), but I'm told it's a bugger to learn. Maybe better sticking to the guitar...

How difficult can it be? It's a pipe with holes in it. As a guitar is a wooden box with six strings stretched across it. :huh:

I actually have one for sale! But then, if I sold you it, you might find out my real identity! We couldn't have that!

Sell it to me, I will the deposit it in a deposit box at Kings Cross Left luggage and email the chit number to a 5th party, who will exchange the goods in Hyde Park under the owl at 3.07hrs on the 29th February.

I actually have one for sale! But then, if I sold you it, you might find out my real identity! We couldn't have that!

Nah! I'm sure you don't! Just asking whether a "budget" priced one will "do the job". Guitars are excellent now, but not when I started learning, they were evil! :blink:. Still, once you get the hang of it, you will still want a "better" one. :huh:

I have a couple but I have NO patience for learning anything that I don't get quickly. I am as musical as a brick.

Nah! I'm sure you don't! Just asking whether a "budget" priced one will "do the job". Guitars are excellent now, but not when I started learning, they were evil! :blink:. Still, once you get the hang of it, you will still want a "better" one. :huh:

I actually do. Got it for christmas and never used it. Came to the conclusion that I don't have the get up and go to learn.

It is this model; check out the reviews - seems good for an entry level sax.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windsor-Alto-Saxophone-Hard-Case/dp/B000GG4B08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456343869&sr=8-1&keywords=Windsor+Alto+Saxophone+Includes+Hard+Case+-+Gold+Lacquer+Finish

It's ok Pin, you don't need to buy my one if you don't want to! But it comes with reeds and a Yamaha mouthpiece (again unused).

It's meant to be one of the easier woodwinds (in terms of the logic of the fingering). It probably helps if you've played single reed before, as getting a decent embouchure will take some time (more than getting the hang of the fingering). Or even some experience of playing the recorder at a reasonable level as there is some read-across with the fingering.

Don't play it myself though, so it's probably all b*ll*cks.

Know what you mean. My first guitar (£100 strat copy) looked the business to begin with, but after a couple of hefty knocks it soon became apparent the body was made of plaster!

Know what you mean. My first guitar (£100 strat copy) looked the business to begin with, but after a couple of hefty knocks it soon became apparent the body was made of plaster!

Was it a Fender Strat o'plaster?

You could almost certainly get yourself a rusty trombone for that sort of money.

That wasn't the helpful answer I was thinking of!

I could certainly advise on which guitars to avoid (depending on your needs), but I'll be a novice with a metal "woodwind" instrument. I can't do trombones, or trumpets. I have tried!

I am a recovering trombonist Pinny, and am surprised that you struggled with it - what with you being a 'brought-up-in-the-analogue-world' type of bod. I will try to explain why - and use as many double-entendres as possible to keep SNACCY happy. 'Rusty trombone' indeed..! ;)

The trombone is the only truly analogue brass instrument* that others in the brass-band will give a wide berth to.

If you can play a trumpet, then you can also play everything from a cornet and a French-horn, to a euphonium. Valved instruments are digital, wheras trombones are fully analogue. With the trumpet et al, you simply press the right combination of keys, blow, and you get an exact note from a limited range. But with a trombone, you grab hold of that slide, stick it where you want, blow (hard for top C, low for bottom C) and out comes a note directly-proportional to where you stick your hand and how hard you blow..! This makes you far more versatile than those who can only use their fingers or their tongues..!

So the fact you couldn't master the pressing-down of keys and blowing stuff suggests you should also avoid the sax for exactly that reason.

Just sayin' like...

;)

XYY

*Bugles might also be considered fully analogue, but they rely on lip control rather than hand control...