House Price Crash Forum

Independent Front Page

Guest The_Oldie

HOLA441
Guest The_Oldie

Just saw a roundup of tomorrows headlines on Sky News.

The Independent had a strange front page with a main headline "Now for some good news" (or something like that), followed by half a dozen smaller headlines one of which was "House prices on the rise again".

Good news, just how many buy to lets do these journalists have? :unsure:.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I would love to do a poll of people who thought it was GOOD news that house prices are rising.

WHAT A LOAD OF B0LLOX!!!!!

email on the way!!!!!

Sadly I believe that the majority of people do see it as good news. I recently had a very long discussion with a work colleague over this vry subject. For about ahlf an hour he was arguing strongly that most people benefit from rises and simply could not see my side of the argument. Eventually I wrote down some examples on paper of how a typical person progresses on the housing market and suddenly he got it. I saw it click inside him and he admitted he really hadn't previously appreciated how high HPI was so bad for most people and the economy as a whole.

HOLA444

Email sent

On sky they have just shown your papers front page for Tuesday...

Can you please tell me why...

1.) House prices rising is good news for anyone but the few big investors..

2.) Where you get your out of date information from

3.) whether real news ever gets in the way of a paper selling story?

Be ashamed of yourselves!

HOLA445

Sadly I believe that the majority of people do see it as good news. I recently had a very long discussion with a work colleague over this vry subject. For about ahlf an hour he was arguing strongly that most people benefit from rises and simply could not see my side of the argument. Eventually I wrote down some examples on paper of how a typical person progresses on the housing market and suddenly he got it. I saw it click inside him and he admitted he really hadn't previously appreciated how high HPI was so bad for most people and the economy as a whole.

It gets very frustrating when you are up against people incapable of seeing more than one side to an arguement unless you s-p-e-l-l it out to them.

Well done for achieving a convert!

NDL

HOLA446

The Independent had a strange front page with a main headline "Now for some good news" (or something like that), followed by half a dozen smaller headlines one of which was "House prices on the rise again".

Here we go...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle334176.ece

HOLA447
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Working in the newspaper industry for the first 22 years of my working life, prior to Christmas they always published so called good news so as not to spoil the Christmas spirit. The bad news was saved for the New Year, honest.

Well that was 25 years ago, just wait and see today as to whether this still applies. :D

HOLA448

Working in the newspaper industry for the first 22 years of my working life, prior to Christmas they always published so called good news so as not to spoil the Christmas spirit. The bad news was saved for the New Year, honest.

Well that was 25 years ago, just wait and see today as to whether this still applies. :D

George Buckley, UK economist at Deutsche Bank, said: "We have had the soft landing. Rises in the number of mortgage approvals and the ratio of property sales to the stock of unsold property suggest house price growth should be stronger than it is. They are both telling you house prices should be rising between 5 and 15 per cent per year."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why stop at 15% George?

Even the trolls don't predict more than 10%.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

George Buckley, UK economist at Deutsche Bank, said: "We have had the soft landing. Rises in the number of mortgage approvals and the ratio of property sales to the stock of unsold property suggest house price growth should be stronger than it is. They are both telling you house prices should be rising between 5 and 15 per cent per year."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why stop at 15% George?

Even the trolls don't predict more than 10%.

http://www.breakingnewsblog.com/personalfi...ces-to-drop-15/

At least Georgie Boy got it right for 2005.......... not!

HOLA4411

heres my letter

I am writing in response to your article tomorrow

Now for some good news

HOUSE PRICES RISING

by Susie Mesure

I am aghast at the fact that this is good news – FOR WHOM EXACTLY?

I am a homeowner, and I have been trying to sell my house for months and months. The more the press report that houses are on the increase the less interest there seems to be. I would like my house to fall 20% for 2 reasons. Firstly, I might be able to sell it as it would be more affordable to the masses and secondly so I CAN AFFORD to move up the ladder. For every 5% goes on my house £10,000 another £15,000 goes on the one I want to buy!

How is that GOOD NEWS to me????? For god’s sake, please report it AS IT IS. The market is dead, the vested interests are denying that the market is heavily overprices and just being irresponsible. Why not report the Hometrack prediction of 1% rise for next year after a drop last month of 3% in the NW (that’s below the rate of inflation so therefore a fall). Why not report that the Countrywide figures for sales are the WORST for 30 years?

Talk the market back down again based on what you say around you but for gods sake. DO NOT SAY IT IS GOOD NEWS THAT HOUSE PRICES ARE RISING. It simply IS NOT GOOD NEWS!

IAN

BTW I dont own a home but I am making a point :)

HOLA4412
house prices rose in November for the first time in 15 months.
showed house prices had risen by nearly 5 per cent in the six months to November.

Am I being thick here or are they contradicting themselves?

HOLA4413

http://www.breakingnewsblog.com/personalfi...ces-to-drop-15/

At least Georgie Boy got it right for 2005.......... not!

From the article ...

Two leading analysts at Deutsche Bank have warned that house prices may slump by up to 15 per cent in 2005. In a note distributed to investors, Ciaran Barr and George Buckley argued that the Bank of England would have to start lowering interest rates next year to avoid further price drops.

Commenting on the prediction, Mr Buckley told Bloomberg: “House prices will have to adjust to get back to some level of normality.

I think he was right - prices did fall in 2005 - maybe not by 15% - but 10% seems realistic from what I've seen. The RICS report has been absolutely terrible for most of this year with a large majority reporting falls in many areas but this just hasn't registered in the other price surveys for some reason.

HOLA4414

I think he was right - prices did fall in 2005 - maybe not by 15% - but 10% seems realistic from what I've seen. The RICS report has been absolutely terrible for most of this year with a large majority reporting falls in many areas but this just hasn't registered in the other price surveys for some reason.

I think the problem with the RICS survey is that surveyors tend to report price falls if their valuation prices are below the asking price, rather than if they're below what they would have been at the same time last year -- so if prices stop going up but sellers' still expect higher asking prices, they'll report a fall even when there isn't one.

HOLA4415

I would love to do a poll of people who thought it was GOOD news that house prices are rising.

WHAT A LOAD OF B0LLOX!!!!!

email on the way!!!!!

70% of the population apparently own their own home so any rise in price is wonderful news and will bring smiles to the faces to many as they sit around their Christmas trees and open all those expensive presents. THe VIs should be packaging the "good news" as a Christmas present to the millions who have not panicked to sell.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

This is what it looks like, nabbed from Sky's today's front pages

1363526.jpg

There's also the rather limp "democracy returns to Afghanistan after 60 years". Yeah, let's celebrate: their country is full of armed troops from other countries and back home Bush is wire-tapping like he's The Great Paris .

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4418

More examples of you bears trying to pick holes in what for the vast majority of people is good news.

What sad, desperate little bears you are - I do sense that a lot more of you are getting more and more irritable with every month that goes by. Every month its the same, no crash, no indication of a crash, not even a crash in the next 12 months.

So, when is this crash going to start then ?!

HOLA4419

I cant believe what crap some people talk on here. Unless you are downgrading it is not good news!!!!

Youve get a lesser chance of selling your property and its going to cost you more to move up the ladder - Are you all thick or something?

Most people have made a tidy sum in the last few years - stop being greedy!

TB

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA4420

The real message which is being put across is:

"House prices rising, I can afford to MEW and have an expensive Christmas on the highstreet".

HOLA4421

Is anyone amazed at the audacity of the VI's in blatantly manipulating their "statistics"?? They're not even trying to hide it anymore!

In November, 24 per cent of the surveyors and estate agents surveyed by Rics reported that prices had fallen in the preceding three months and 11 per cent said they had risen, giving an unadjusted balance of minus 13 per cent.

However, estate agents tend to be unduly pessimistic in November so the Rics seasonally-adjusted measure turns the negative reading into a positive balance of plus 4 per cent.

It is the first time the widely watched headline measure has been in positive territory since August 2004.

In a world with any modicum of sense no-one would ever pay any attention to a word RICS say after this debacle as they have totally destroyed their credibility by so blatantly propagandising their own statistics.

HOLA4422

The real message which is being put across is:

"House prices rising, I can afford to MEW and have an expensive Christmas on the highstreet".

yeah, I for one am very disappointed with the Independent of late. They really have been slurping on Satan's VI slush-puppy recently.

Saturday's "broke? Here's how to borrow money to get you through Christmas"

yesterdays "Hometrack's confirmation of the start of HPC - spun as London and North leading house price rises" (there's yer evidence IMup)

and now this...

Independent? Yer 'avin a larf mate.

HOLA4423

More examples of you bears trying to pick holes in what for the vast majority of people is good news.

What sad, desperate little bears you are - I do sense that a lot more of you are getting more and more irritable with every month that goes by. Every month its the same, no crash, no indication of a crash, not even a crash in the next 12 months.

So, when is this crash going to start then ?!

What is this "vast majority" you speak of? Good news in that existing homeowners will struggle to upgrade, and that no one will buy their city centre flat? Or good news that parents wishing to downgrade will instead have to fund their children's first house price from their own equity?

Keep on with the slagging, obviously the only retreat of someone who's a bit stressed by it all. Must have some bad investments creaking at the seams...

:lol:

HOLA4424

heres my letter

BTW I dont own a home but I am making a point :)

So, you're lying to prove a point, and showing your true colours too!

Interesting that RICS correctly predicted 2005.

With all the experts on this forum, I think RICS, Halfax and all the others could sack their economists and use the collected wisdom here. They may have to search for wisdom, but it's here, spread thinly.

HOLA4425

Most people have made a tidy sum in the last few years - stop being greedy!

Correction - all banks made a tidy sum in the last few years - most people spent ridiculously large amounts of their hard earned cash on interest and loan repayments.

A few grannies who took out Equity Release Mortgages are very happy that they can now afford a nice retirement. (the banks also make a tidy sum from this too).

I work for bank, so i'm happy :) (but most people don't)