House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Has Our Tumble Dryer Just Been Stolen?

This is the sort of thing that happens to other people.

About an hour ago there was a knock at the door. Someone with a big new posh van here to collect the tumble dryer as it has a safety recall notice.

I knew nothing about this. I thought it was the wrong address. He got on the phone and checked and was able to give me my partner's name and confirm the address.

Ah, so it must have been arranged. I tried to call but partner in meeting.

So I help him wheel the tumble dryer along the hall and he vanishes with it in his van.

Have now caught up with partner. Nothing was "arranged".

This may all be genuine. I was in the middle of something else so didn't think to write down the registration plate of the van. But then who steals tumble dryers, for heavens sake.

There is indeed a recall notice on the tumble dryer. That bit is genuine. What it says on that matches what he said.

Now taking bets on whether we'll see the tumble dryer again.

Setting aside questions of what paperwork may have been involved, and whether a tumble-dryer could possibly have sufficient value to give them a return on the effort they must've put in to find owners who happened to have a partner who might have arranged it without telling you but couldn't be contacted ...

Dump the tumble dryer, and get a dehumidifier. Clothes hung to dry in a room shared with a dehumidifier will dry quickly and nicely whatever the weather, and you save about 99% of the running costs.

Apparently hanging up clothes to dry indoors is to be avoided for people who have a house dust mite allergy :(

The fact he could tell me my partner's name and the make of the tumble dryer seemed comforting from a security point of view.

The latter could have been a lucky guess tried on at every household and successful at many since it's a Hotpoint one. It is not sufficiently visible from the front door to guess the make from there.

The former would have to have come from a list somewhere.

And yet nothing has been arranged. Apparently. I'm wondering if partner filled in some web form and forgot about it.

Now I'm debating whether to make some calls around the village to see if this might be going on elsewhere and/or see if it's a scam. The Mercedes van was big enough to get maybe 4 to 6 appliances in the back of it.

My house burned down when I was a kid due to a fire started by the tumble dryer -- lint coming into contact with the heating element. I would take the recall seriously.

Might of been handy to quiz him over his name, who he worked for, where he was taking it etc. Was he wearing an 'official' Hi-Vis vest? :lol:

Even if genuine, they shouldn't be turning up unannounced.

That appears to be the recall in question.

I don't have any receipt, no. Mind you I didn't get anything when the coffee machine was collected to be fixed but then we had a direct relationship with the manufacturer and knew they were coming.

To be fair I was in the middle of something else at the time and my mind wasn't really on this, assuming that Nick must have organised something for the man to be stood there in the first place.

All I have to go on is a description of the man and that the van was a new-ish Black Mercedes one so if he's up to anything he'd need to be "caught in the act" so to speak.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it gets brought back. He said it would take a couple of days.

I'm thinking of that clip from the Pink Panther film where Clouseau walks into a hotel to be greeted by someone who appears to be the doorman. "Can I take your hat? Your coat? Your gloves? Thank you." - and then gets in his car and drives off.

If it is a scam it's quite clever. I shall laugh at myself every time I see the vacant gap where the tumble dryer used to be. In time.

Who bought the tumble dryer ? They gave you your partners name and thats what you have assumed as the 'legit' part. But he has confirmed he didnt arrange anything.

The only way they would know his name in relation to the tumble dryer - is if he was the purchaser - and they had him on record - card details or buying online or whatever.

Otherwise - your tumble dryer has just been nicked.

I'm thinking of that clip from the Pink Panther film where Clouseau walks into a hotel to be greeted by someone who appears to be the doorman. "Can I take your hat? Your coat? Your gloves? Thank you." - and then gets in his car and drives off.

If it is a scam it's quite clever. I shall laugh at myself every time I see the vacant gap where the tumble dryer used to be. In time.

Being serious for a moment, if it is a scam it's very unlikely they were interested in your tumble dryer. If this was an elaborate distraction burglary you should check that nothing else is missing.

That said I would be very surprised.

I haven't heard of it, and it doesn't really seem worthwhile, particularly as I can't see a model of tumble drier, that is actually subject to a safety recall, being a big earner. Although they obviously may not have know that really is the case if it was a theft.

This did used to be a really common style of theft with high end office photocopiers but they would have been ten times plus the value of a tumble drier.

Did he offer to tarmac your drive first?

Can't rule it out but they're normally allergic to any sort of van that isn't white and a Ford Transit. If it was may need to be very wary as the way it usually goes with scrap metal is, if you're daft enough to engage their services, they take what you want to dispose when you're there and come back and take all the rest when you're not.

Another ethnic group who we've been lucky enough to have bring their unique culture to this country.

A few calls to people in the village haven't turned up any other incidences of people having their appliances collected by people in black vans today.

Mind you there are 257 properties and I only rang 3 of them.

Though word spreads fast here, so if it is a scam, they may not get away with it again around here.

Thousands of tumble driers are catching alight......note the make, and be sure never to purchase that brand again.......I would prefer not to buy German or Turkish white goods but the crap we make in this country offers no other choice but to buy from overseas..... :(

I don't have a tumble dryer. I have a washing line.

It would be a good scam. From my side I've got one of the affected models and all the paperwork so far says they'll send someone to fix it - that is inefficient enough but I can't imagine that it would be more efficient for people to take them away, fix them centrally and then return them - loads of effort.

A quick phone call to Hotpoint (or whoever) will sort it out - but if it is a scam then inform hotpoint pronto so that they can send out warning messages - I'd say they should send you a replacement as well as it is kind of their fault. (well, not really, but I've decided it is their fault and that you deserve a new one).

We had ours replaced recently under the recall, all arranged over the phone. Man came in a van to pick it up and install a new one at the same time, got an upgrade on the old one as well.