House Price Crash Forum

Wright Stuff On Tv Moaning About House Prices And The Lack Of Hope For The Young...on Right Now

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, Matthew Wright is on our side, for sure.

Only 3 weeks ago he was discussing BTL.

Here is the link to the thread, and what was being discussed then.

Will we ever see such discussions as these, on the BBC I wonder?

Like many of you, I worry about what hardships the future now holds for my kids?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/208338-the-timesbtl-500000-poised-to-sell-in-a-year/

I have just seen this story discussed on The Wright Stuff (channel 5).

Page 2 of today's Times, heading is

" BTL landlords poised to sell 500,000 homes in a year".

http://www.thetimes....icle4681297.ece

A presenter on the show told us this is because George Osbourne's crackdown on LL's has bought confidence in BTL to a low point, a study found.

There used to be concessions in stamp duty and mortgage refief, but that is all going to go, she said.

Matthew Wright remarked this is good news for everybody other than BTL LL'S because going on supply and deman, half a million properties pouring onto the market in a year has to have a watering down effect on the housing market, So prices won't rise as much, making them more affordable.

Anothe member of the panel remarked that potentially this would put the wind up international buyers that are flooding London, when they see the market declining, so they will think of to another international city to go and put their dirty money in.

Matthew replied this could be catesptophic news for those BTL LL's who bought an an alternative to having a pension, but as a whole, he can't help but think it is good news.

:D

The young have no hope. I had a free education, a sports car at 17 because as Wright pointed out insurance was affordable, and could afford a house within my first year of graduating....nothing much but I could have afforded it. Most jobs offered final salary pensions.

My daughter works harder than me, is loaded with student debt, is going to have to shell out about 2k to insure a car so uses public transport, has no chance of being able to afford a house unless there's a crash, and won't need a pension...her generation will have to work til they drop.

It's a sham, and I'm leaving this country.

Back to the show...

More talk about selfish generations and over-inflated property, but mixed in with other topics.

For me to afford a similar home as my father, I would need to earn about £40k more p.a. than he did. It could be worse for my 7 year old daughter it is will be another £40k more, unless things improve !!!!!

The young have no hope. I had a free education, a sports car at 17 because as Wright pointed out insurance was affordable, and could afford a house within my first year of graduating....nothing much but I could have afforded it. Most jobs offered final salary pensions.

My daughter works harder than me, is loaded with student debt, is going to have to shell out about 2k to insure a car so uses public transport, has no chance of being able to afford a house unless there's a crash, and won't need a pension...her generation will have to work til they drop.

It's a sham, and I'm leaving this country.

Back to the show...

More talk about selfish generations and over-inflated property, but mixed in with other topics.

Worth repeating......many parents are thinking exactly the same about their offspring.....we were once a wealthy country where all people had opportunities to succeed, now highly indebted, work no longer pays the bills..... no help no hope......how things have changed..... ;)

I'm 27 and there is mathematically no way to pay my student loan off with the standard repayments. I don't even earn enough to go over the threshold and if I did, I'd end up making repayments for the next 18 years then have it written off anyway.

In addition I've opted out of the attractive work pension because I don't expect pensions to last by time I'm 68 with the financial system still on life support with NIRP.

I'd rather keep the money and diversify my assets.

In terms of buying, we are totally ******ed. All the 40 years+ and boomers at work couldn't afford to buy the houses they live in.

My choice is very limited.. Either pay rent which chews up over half my income or buy with something like shared ownership and pay under £400 total PCM.

Even HTB won't help and the new builds are vastly overpriced anyway. Also the idea of the government owning equity in your property is not attractive at all :lol::lol:

Ah mate it's cos all us young'uns waste money and are lazy!

-

One thing important though; Young people do not vote in nearly enough numbers in General elections for these leaders to give a toss. As I've kind of said before, you might hate Corbyn to the bone but it's young people that whipped the blair-mandelson machine because the older people didn't see it coming.

It could happen in a G.Election if Young people actually vote.

Edited by Tapori

Wrighty knows his sheeet! Good on him for promoting this specific angle. people need to know maan.

Worth repeating......many parents are thinking exactly the same about their offspring.....we were once a wealthy country where all people had opportunities to succeed, now highly indebted, work no longer pays the bills..... no help no hope......how things have changed..... ;)

It's truly frightening how post ww2, all the gains and progress the baby boomers benefited from, has been removed but also the shackling of the young to farm them.

Unfortunately, beyond incendiary rebellion, it's when the middle-class start getting vexed that the big-wigs have to start listening.

Edited by Tapori

For me to afford a similar home as my father, I would need to earn about £40k more p.a. than he did. It could be worse for my 7 year old daughter it is will be another £40k more, unless things improve !!!!!

To own a home like my fathers in a similar area to where he bought then in 1971, (Not the exact same area but one like the area he bought in at that time) i would need to earn around 130k p.a (4 times salary ratio)

Crazy.

I got called to a job today. Turns out it was a BTL property. Landlord met me there. Nice enough guy at face value. Tenants report TV not working.... I worked my way through the system sorting the bodges one by one, but ultimately the TV signal was a bit pants and needed more than a quick once over. Signal was almost OK for standard Freeview reception, but with occasional loss of service. High definition Freeview nowhere near reliable. I discuss with landlord the options....recommending he upgrade a few bits to make everything work flawlessly.

He goes on to tell me how much he enjoys Freeview high definition at home, and how annoying it was in his his old house when TV reception dropped out in the middle of programme. But that ultimately the cost for proposed works (approx 4 days rent) was too much to bear and the current unreliable signal was "good enough for tenants".

I decided to dig deeper and it turns out he has two BTL properties. Both bought about ten years ago for circa £100k. Both now worth 3.5x more. He rents them for £1200 each. Says he manages to put them up by about £100 each year, but thinks he could get more if he wasn't "so nice". He doesn't have a job or any income other than the BTL. Says he knows all about the upcoming tax changes and it will cost him 10% more in tax. No thoughts whatsoever about selling up. He was tinkering with the electrics while I was there. Said they have been faulty and hes read a few bits how to fix on internet. Brought his poundstore screwdriver set in his poundstore toolbox.

My question is, what will happen to him? This is the classic BTL type I come across regularly. Owns two to ten BTL. Doesn't have any other job. Just has a go at fixing stuff himself when problems occur. Usually bodges it and calls a professional only when he's fecked it up so badly it doesn't work at all. How does the government crack down on a landlord like this? How will the tax changes affect him?

I charged him £50 more than I would have done if the house wasn't a BTL. And felt mildly better for the rest of the day.

I got called to a job today. Turns out it was a BTL property. Landlord met me there. Nice enough guy at face value. Tenants report TV not working.... I worked my way through the system sorting the bodges one by one, but ultimately the TV signal was a bit pants and needed more than a quick once over. Signal was almost OK for standard Freeview reception, but with occasional loss of service. High definition Freeview nowhere near reliable. I discuss with landlord the options....recommending he upgrade a few bits to make everything work flawlessly.

He goes on to tell me how much he enjoys Freeview high definition at home, and how annoying it was in his his old house when TV reception dropped out in the middle of programme. But that ultimately the cost for proposed works (approx 4 days rent) was too much to bear and the current unreliable signal was "good enough for tenants".

I decided to dig deeper and it turns out he has two BTL properties. Both bought about ten years ago for circa £100k. Both now worth 3.5x more. He rents them for £1200 each. Says he manages to put them up by about £100 each year, but thinks he could get more if he wasn't "so nice". He doesn't have a job or any income other than the BTL. Says he knows all about the upcoming tax changes and it will cost him 10% more in tax. No thoughts whatsoever about selling up. He was tinkering with the electrics while I was there. Said they have been faulty and hes read a few bits how to fix on internet. Brought his poundstore screwdriver set in his poundstore toolbox.

My question is, what will happen to him? This is the classic BTL type I come across regularly. Owns two to ten BTL. Doesn't have any other job. Just has a go at fixing stuff himself when problems occur. Usually bodges it and calls a professional only when he's fecked it up so badly it doesn't work at all. How does the government crack down on a landlord like this? How will the tax changes affect him?

I charged him £50 more than I would have done if the house wasn't a BTL. And felt mildly better for the rest of the day.

:(

Guys like this need to be taken out of the housing provision market- hopefully that will happen soon enough. Sounds like a classic BTLer.

A now TV box on a basic broadband service gives live streaming of the main channels, who needs radio waves?

Sorry to be pedantic, but out of the box, Now TV will only stream live sky channels...the main channels are catchup only...To stream live, you need to hack the box..

Edited by Dave Beans