House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Didcot Goes Bang

Looks like the preparations to demolish the A building have gone badly wrong. I hope there are no fatalities, but given the scale of the damage I fear that there is bad news coming.

Wouldn't have happened if the EU didn't force a fully - operational power plant to be torn down (while allowing the Germans to carry on with their far more polluting coal plants). An enormous waste.

Looks like the eastern 1/2 of the main building has gone to rubble.

[they took out the northern 1/3rd of the building last year, so not as big as it was - but still a massive explosion]

One fatality.

Looks like an Eastern European cold war edifice circa 1950.

UK desperately needs to pull its finger out and invest in some 21st century infrastructure.

Looks like an Eastern European cold war edifice circa 1950.

UK desperately needs to pull its finger out and invest in some 21st century infrastructure.

That's why they built the new Didcot B and are demolishing the old Didcot A. Keep up.

Apparently it was set to be exploded on Saturday - looks like they'd done half the building and it went off early. Usually at the point explosives are being applied there are very few individuals involved so hopefully the casualties will be as low as possible given the scale of the explosion.

Presumably the other half potentially has unexploded stuff, so the inspection for casualties might be very slow.

My daughter's boyfriend started his new job 600m from this building yesterday. I'd be worried about the possibility of asbestos dust, but if the building was being prepared for demolition in a few days I would expect hazardous materials will already have been stripped out.

So it is looking like premature detonation of charges intended to demolish it later? It seems like half of a huge building has gone.

From an earlier demolition at Didcot A last sept

http://www.coleman-co.com/news/details.aspx?positionId=563

"Explosives were in position earlier this week and used to get the huge sections of steel down to the ground so they could be processed safely"

From that report of the earlier explosion:

Explosives were in position earlier this week

So the timing is about right for it to be an explosion during the installation of the explosives. It seems that this sort of premature explosion is very rare (mainly because of procedures) - so it begs the question what has happened this time...

I'd be worried about the possibility of asbestos dust

It's Britain's Chernobyl.

We should declare a Dead Zone around Didcot.

(There may be objections from those who say it will affect property prices.)

It's Britain's Chernobyl.

We should declare a Dead Zone around Didcot.

(There may be objections from those who say it will affect property prices.)

What! Don't be stupid. Just put up a couple of hundred houses and worry about all that later.

Hmmm... did the building collapse in it's own footprint? Verrrrrry suspicious.

I'm sure HPC can find a conspirancy in this.

Are you saying you don't believe the theory that professionals installed explosives throughout the building and then they were somehow detonated? What other explanation could there be?

Are you saying you don't believe the theory that professionals installed explosives throughout the building and then they were somehow detonated? What other explanation could there be?

No reports of light aircraft flying into the building earlier, so that one is out.

Speculating it could be burners making cuts in the structure to aid demolition and it came down without an explosive blast.

Could be - but the collapse does look a little too perfect - it looks exactly like it should do, but with only 1/2 the explosives positioned.