House Price Crash Forum

Does Anyone Understand 0845 Numbers?

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

Does anyone understand the 0845 number charging system?

All I can find is that calls cost between 7p and 19p per minute (from a land-line or up to 50p from a mobile) plus a connection charge, so it looks like a call made to an 0845 number is a lottery. I suspect that companies get paid for calls to these numbers, hence the lengthy queues and music.

The company I was trying to call has done a efficient job of disabling any normal geographic numbers that are listed by "SAYNOTO0870" and other sources.

HOLA442

The company I was trying to call has done a efficient job of disabling any normal geographic numbers that are listed by "SAYNOTO0870" and other sources.

Couldn't tell you the details, but that might very well be illegal. Public-facing companies MUST now provide a geographic alternative, unless perhaps they find a good loophole. Though I'm not quite sure what I mean by public-facing: I'm guessing it wouldn't apply to a man+van company where a mobile makes more sense, but would if they chose to have an 0845.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Thanks guys.

It would be nice if it is illegal not to provide a geographic number and even nicer if it was enforced. The company is a national service company for domestic appliances and does warranty repairs for some major manufacturers.

I am with EE. We do not use the land line for chargeable calls as we have more than adequate mobile included minutes. As I pay the line rental upfront for the year, in return for a discount, and EE are providing broadband free of charge (don't ask why, they just offered it), we do not get monthly bills unless we make calls so a call to an 0845 number would result in a bill for that one call.

HOLA445

This annoys me too though i am with EE and I think 0845/0870 number are now included. (But not 0844/0871!!) I had a loud shout at Students Loans Company a few yrs go as faughter (and many others I am sure) ad to use her mobile to call them about why she had not received any money at uni. On hold for 30 mins at a time (then she had to go somewhere so was charged for nothing and had to try again later. Cost her a LOT of money when the problem was that she had NONE! (Grr.) l rang them to vent but they wouldn't talk to me about her unless she set me up with a password etc. (Which we did.) Now they have an 0300 as I think Porca might be right ... ie they have been shamed into providing a std rate number, (0300 not geographical I think but same price as an 01 or an 02 i believe and hence within allowed mobile minutes.)

In your situation, I would probably use SKYPE to phone them, as cheaper and you won't get an EE bill.

Do you have skype or can you get it? Cheap and uselful. I use it for SMSes to UK/foreign mobiles as well, as cheaper than from my PAYG and easier to type longer SMSes. Also cost is shown BEFORE you press SEND. i generally always ave £10 on my skype account and it lasts me ages. (Then I top up £10 online from me registered debit card.)

Another advantage is there is a record of the date/time of the call which came it useful once (tho I make a note as well if it's sthing very important) when i was atlking about my ISA and they gave me a worse rate than promised on then phone. (So they have to honour it as I told them WHEN the call was even tho it was MONTHS before. Told them to listen to it! And I think they actually DID.)

HOLA446

Yes, Skype would be an option, I've had it for years and use it a lot when we're abroad, but it still costs.

It's just annoying that we have many more included minutes than we ever use and can't use them to call a UK company.

0300 numbers are a big step forward as the call cost is included in our "minutes".

I don't think our "Sim only" EE contracts include 0845/0870 numbers.

HOLA447

I have a UK EE broadband and phone deal which includes 0845/0870. (Which can be handy.) But guess you have a different EE arrangement then, so not free from your landline? Nb Always complain to them about having to use the 0845 number when you do get through! (Just so they will understand how annoying it is!)

HOLA448

I only get weekend calls free with my EE landline, not sure if it includes 0845/0870 numbers but it's the basic service so I doubt it. Can't grumble though, £160 a year for line rental with free broadband is a pretty good deal. Mobile 'SIM only' contracts (500mins, unlimited texts and 500mb 4G data) cost £7.50 per month for each number, again a good deal. I have no gripe with EE, just the companies that use 0845 numbers exclusively.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The only service where you do not know the price till you come to pay for it......the price of certain numbers is so complicated, best not ring any number unless you are sure what the cost is or you could get a huge shock.....ofcom take note.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/lib/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_SpecialNos.pdf

Great innit? Don't ever think of phoning HMRC. Write a letter. It's 50p.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I've 'phoned HMRC a fair few times. Mostly they're helpful, though once was a bit Kafkaesque.

Yes, they're generally polite and helpful.

I did have one memorable incident though. I declared some income on my tax return and when I didn't receive a demand to pay tax on it I phoned them and they charged me interest! I was flabbergasted but they were adamant that I knew the tax was due and if I had wanted to avoid interest I should have informed them earlier.

Archived