House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trampa501

Give Under-50S More Votes Than The Over-50S...

This idea has been mooted, and it seems a decent one to me (I am in the over group)

The young are more likely to be affected in the future by policies passed now, and besides young people are better educated than old people on the whole.

Of course there is the argument that older people *may* have developed wisdom - when they're not holding onto their ill-gotten housing gains that is.

Of course some on this forum would hate this proposal as it would scupper the ukip vote...

Once you start fiddling the weighting of votes - based on any criteria -you might as well just not bother and let the person you're going to let rig the system just decide directly. It saves time.

No.

Just have a campaign to encourage under 50s to register and vote.

Thats it.

Anyhow, if it was for the average 64 yo, youd be speaking German. Or something like that.

You think thats a joke. I had a 63 claiming he fought for queen and country, protecting the youngsters.

He was in the army for 2 years. Never saw anything.

Why not go the whole hog and only allow taxpayers to vote?

Most political activity revolves around the spending of money taken by the state in taxes , or more recently, borrowed from the bond markets to leverage future tax revenue.

I'm joking, of course , but it's more logical than allowing votes purely on age criteria.

There is a problem with policies being skewed towards the older demographic but that's because they tend to vote and politicians don't pay much attention to people who don't vote. However, there is a great leveller called mortality which means that this favoured section of the electorate is shrinking.

But then , of course, all those 30yo turn into 50yo. Then what?

There is already more of them

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/interactive/uk-population-pyramid---dvc1/index.html make sure you get the right year

The problem is, younger people are not interested in what happens to themselves when they get older, it will never happen and is so far away as to be impossible, hence they will do away with state pensions and a multitude of other things.

Having said that, it is time they, the young, put away bread and circuses and become seriously political which they are not now in any meaningful way. Even so many young people vote precisely as their parents do regardless of the reality of the situation.
for eg, my extreme right wing nephew,,, 'why would I buy a house if they came down in price, that means I wont get rich, in might go down more' and he is educated, follows his dad, an extreme right wing gen X pig with several BTL's

Encouraging the under 50s to vote is probably the best approach.

But ideally the scope of politics should be reduced, so there isn't a continual fight between various groups for politicians steal from others to give to them.

They've recently improved the franchise for the young.

Not quite sure when the rules changed, but in 2005 I was unable to vote due to renters' disenfranchisement (I had moved too recently to get on to the electoral register, due to my landlady wanting to sell), and in 2015 those rules had changed to allow getting onto the electoral register at short notice. So sometime between 2005 and 2015 they fixed that particular discrimination.

Linking it to, say, normal retirement date might have merit.

Would young people protect social care for the elderly/infirm/demented though, when even our elected government couldnt care less?

Why not go the whole hog and only allow taxpayers to vote?

Most political activity revolves around the spending of money taken by the state in taxes , or more recently, borrowed from the bond markets to leverage future tax revenue.

I'm joking, of course , but it's more logical than allowing votes purely on age criteria.

Don't really see how that would help. Everyone's a taxpayer, for example most of the cost of buying a pint goes straight off in tax. VAT, petrol, etc.

Once people are allowed to vote online I imagine a lot more of the younger generation will get off their arses to vote.

If it's online they won't have to get off their arses.