House Price Crash Forum
Jason

Imf Praises Uk Economy

"LONDON (Reuters) - The British economy has done remarkably well in the face of soaring energy prices and a slowing housing market, the International Monetary Fund said on Monday.

In its annual "Article IV" healthcheck of the world's fourth largest economy, the IMF praised UK policymakers for the current stability and predicted economic growth would pick up to 2.25 percent next year and 2.75 percent in 2007."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticl...BRITAIN-IMF.xml

Oh, thank the lord: "The IMF also said that while house prices still looked highly valued, the chances of a crash had lessened."

So, what has changed to lessen the chance of a crash?

thebusinessonline: http://www.thebusinessonline.com/DJStory.a...0051219DN011373

Edited by Jason

[quote name='Jason' date='Dec 19 2005, 10:34 PM' post='257584'

In its annual "Article IV" healthcheck of the world's fourth largest economy,

Oh sorry hate to cramp the article's style but the UK is the 5th Largest economy.. Japan took that title a few months ago.... While the UK was doing so well! ROFL :lol::lol:

It was only a couple of months ago and the IMF was treating us like a laughing stock..

There is no way the economy has turned the corner in this time..

everyone else is saying it is worse.

does anyone feel that the last thing they should do in this life is trust anything a politician says.

does anyone feel that the last thing they should do in this life is trust anything a politician says.

I don't trust any of them further than I can throw up :D

If your boss asked you what was happening in his business and you opened your mouth and spouted obvious lies..

Would he not fire you?

Mine would fire me..

surely the govenrment lying to those who elected them should expect to resign and perhaps be imprisoned.????

Not too much to ask.. is it..

So Blair.. you now admit that there were never any Weapons of mass destruction?

blair: Errrr.. no there never were...

sorry, that would be Treason then.. 40 years for you...

blair: oh bugger, I guess Brown is the PM then..

No, don't worry about that, he promissed that he would never let house prices spiral out of control again.. we have him outside now.. Long drop, short rope.. that sort of thing..

Blair: I suppose there is a silver lining.. can I watch...?

Well his feet are still kicking.. so I guess.. and by the way.. 40 years.. that was in Iraq.. something about bombing schools..

Blair: bugger

So, what has changed to lessen the chance of a crash?

Inflation has started coming down, so there is less chance of interest rate rises.

Oh sorry hate to cramp the article's style but the UK is the 5th Largest economy.. Japan took that title a few months ago.... While the UK was doing so well! ROFL

Sorry to cramp your style, but Japan is the second largest after the US, and has been for decades. Then Germany, then the UK is ahead of France by a whisker. You may be thinking of figures looking at purchasing-power parity instead of nominal GDP at market exchange rates, in which the UK is sixth -- China and India both go ahead of us. China will overtake the UK in nominal GDP in a few years, but not yet.

Edited by zorn

Sorry to cramp your style, but Japan is the second largest after the US, and has been for decades. Then Germany, then the UK is ahead of France by a whisker. You may be thinking of figures looking at purchasing-power parity instead of nominal GDP at market exchange rates, in which the UK is sixth -- China and India both go ahead of us. China will overtake the UK in nominal GDP in a few years, but not yet.

China has just (literally within the last day or so, the story is on todays business TV networks) revised its GDP upwards. Something to do with under-reporting services, I think.

It's now a few billion behind France, and is expected to pass both France and the UK during 2006 at current growth rates.