House Price Crash Forum
mfs1959

The Times - Simon English - Popping Bubble?

Today in The times Business:

The drug dealers started moving out of my street about three years ago. They have been replaced by marketing types, chief information officers and graphic designers. Both groups seem to favour the same cars, oddly, newish Astra’s and oldish BMWs.

I used to chat to the dealers, partly out of an interest in their finances (they didn’t seem to make much money) and partly because I decided they’d be less likely to rob me if they knew me. Their moving on was a sign that my unremarkable street in an ordinary bit of north London was quickly gentrifying.

Among the new neighbours, who are much nicer and far less interesting, there is one main topic of conversation: house prices. My favourite question to them is this: could you now afford to buy the property you live in? The answer is always the same: “No, not by miles. We certainly could not.”

Our collective happy assumption is that one day we will sell at a huge profit, but that does raise the question of who the buyers are going to be. Russians? Bankers? Why would they want to live on my street? You can’t even get drugs any more.

So what we’re left with is a bunch of people living in properties they can’t afford on the dicey premise that a load of other much richer people one day will. This is a balloon, plain and simple, into which we regularly blow another gulp of air. It will go pop in a horrible way.

Oh well. This site has warned of this for years. They can't say they weren't warned.

I know, and this is the Business pages rather than the Money pages.

It may, just, reflect a new sentiment.

"So what were left with is a bunch of people living in properties they cant afford on the dicey premise that a load of other much richer people one day will. This is a balloon, plain and simple, into which we regularly blow another gulp of air. It will go pop in a horrible way."

Love this might put this in my sig

Our collective happy assumption is that one day we will sell at a huge profit, but that does raise the question of who the buyers are going to be. Russians? Bankers? Why would they want to live on my street? You can’t even get drugs any more.

Russians, Chinese, Polish, various other Eastern Europeans, India and Pakistan, Syria and many many more

At what point are we going to be able shout F*** off, no more, without being labelled racist.

Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

or

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

If anything I think the UK people are inferior for allowing their country to be governed the way it is and buying into the bankers hosuing pyramid.

So to tell other races to **** off is the not racists, it's anti-racist.

Confused....well, don't blame me, I didn't start the political correctness B.S suppression of freedom of speech.

It's going to be fun watching everything burn!

Im not so sure it'll be fun.

Unless of course you can keep your job, real cuts do happen, prices collapse 60% and your savings aren't simply stolen and given to rich people and families stole all the land and murdered 1000's 900 years ago.

Fun....I can't see it somehow.

Russians, Chinese, Polish, various other Eastern Europeans, India and Pakistan, Syria and many many more

At what point are we going to be able shout F*** off, no more, without being labelled racist.

Hopefully never. If you want to go and shout f*** off at people based on where they are from then you are going to be labelled a racist. That's kind of the point.

Hopefully never. If you want to go and shout f*** off at people based on where they are from then you are going to be labelled a racist. That's kind of the point.

Corrupt, money hiding, thieving bstrds would be more suitable.

The fact is, that's not racism. Wanting people out your country because you fear them is not racism, it's protectionism.

If anything, as I point out above, it's the opposite of racism, you are kind of admitting these people are better/stronger than you and will eventually usurp you.

( it's not often one gets to use the usurp words ).

Wanting the best for the people who live in an area, who have always lived in an area, who has paid their taxes for decades, who's familly has toiled for, for your friends and family is about as far removed from racism as you can get. It's basic human nature.

The people crying racist must be pretty badly educated, oppressors or a group wanting more for themselves to use the word in this context.

These people should be told exactly where to go.

So, speak up, if you want Britain to be British, why not ?

You are not declaring yourself to be better, superior, than the people coming here, you just want yourself and your future generations to get what you and your predecessors have worked for, died for even.

I've sat and watched England go to the dogs over the last 10 years or so, I personally want the immigration stopped and the population decreased. This does not suit the economic policy of the corrupt thieves in charge though.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

"Hopefully never. If you want to go and shout f*** off at people based on where they are from then you are going to be labelled a racist. That's kind of the point."

The fact is, that's not racism. Wanting people out your country because you fear them is not racism, it's protectionism.

That's not what protectionism is. Treating people in a specific manner because of where they are from is nationalism at best. Either way it's exactly the way that the over privileged scumbags who are busy robbing you everyday want you to act - whilst they laugh at you and carry on taking the piss. The day that you can do that and not have people take issue with it will be a sad day indeed.

Edited by repetitive bleats

"Hopefully never. If you want to go and shout f*** off at people based on where they are from then you are going to be labelled a racist. That's kind of the point."

That's not what protectionism is. Treating people in a specific manner because of where they are from is nationalism at best. Either way it's exactly the way that the over privileged scumbags who are busy robbing you everyday want you to act - whilst they laugh at you and carry on taking the piss. The day that you can do that and not have people take issue with it will be a sad day indeed.

Not allowing non Brits to buy is protectionism, and exactly what we need, but if it makes you happy to call it nationalism then so be it.

If an economy no longer serves its people then it isnt much use, our economy is most certainly at that stage now.

Edited by The12YearWait

Not allowing non Brits to buy is protectionism, and exactly what we need, but if it makes you happy to call it nationalism then so be it.

If an economy no longer serves its people then it isnt much use, our economy is most certainly at that stage now.

I'd agree . But not allowing non-brits to buy property here and telling foreigners to f*** off are two entirely different things. So yeah, I am going to call it Nationalism.

And the foreigners didn't mess up the economy. The people who did will be thrilled to see turning your ire on foreigners instead of them.

I'd agree . But not allowing non-brits to buy property here and telling foreigners to f*** off are two entirely different things. So yeah, I am going to call it Nationalism.

And the foreigners didn't mess up the economy. The people who did will be thrilled to see turning your ire on foreigners instead of them.

It was predominantly indigenous Brits that destroyed the housing market for us ... mainly Scots like Blair, Brown Darling and such like, but its the wealthy of the world who are making it a lot worse by being allowed to hide hundreds of billions in the UK property market.

What should we do say nothing?

It was predominantly indigenous Brits that destroyed the housing market for us ... mainly Scots like Blair, Brown Darling and such like, but its the wealthy of the world who are making it a lot worse by being allowed to hide hundreds of billions in the UK property market.

Yeah shouting f*** off to the Polish, various other Eastern Europeans, India and Pakistan, Syria and many many more ought to put that right. You can try and rationalise your nationalistic nonsense as much as you like but you'll end up tying yourself in knots. That fact is that the original statement was racist/nationalistic and if you are bright enough to recognise who your real enemy is then the only reason you'd be blaming immigrants is convenience.

The site has been going downhill in the last few years - and specifically during the last elections. I blame UKIP for giving the people the courage to stand up and be proud to be stupid.

Yeah shouting f*** off to the Polish, various other Eastern Europeans, India and Pakistan, Syria and many many more ought to put that right. You can try and rationalise your nationalistic nonsense as much as you like but you'll end up tying yourself in knots. That fact is that the original statement was racist/nationalistic and if you are bright enough to recognise who your real enemy is then the only reason you'd be blaming immigrants is convenience.

The site has been going downhill in the last few years - and specifically during the last elections. I blame UKIP for giving the people the courage to stand up and be proud to be stupid.

And if you were bright enough to pay attention, you would realise i did not write that post. Seems you're the one tying yourself in knots.

Now run along and get offended on behalf of others somewhere else, im sure it won't take you long.

You vile left wingers have been proud to be stupid long before Nigel Farage pushed your beloved Neoliberals into having a little democracy.

Edited by The12YearWait

"So what were left with is a bunch of people living in properties they cant afford on the dicey premise that a load of other much richer people one day will. This is a balloon, plain and simple, into which we regularly blow another gulp of air. It will go pop in a horrible way."

Love this might put this in my sig

It's a cracker.

"Mainly Scots".

Now you're taking the p!$$.

Who introduced the sale of council houses. That started the ball rolling. And the financial carnage by the big bang in the City......

"Mainly Scots".

Now you're taking the p!$$.

Who introduced the sale of council houses. That started the ball rolling. And the financial carnage by the big bang in the City......

The housing bubble was a NuLabour creation, they could have stopped the sale of council housing, regulated the City etc... they chose not to.

And Labour during this period was ran by Scots.

Are you in favour of open borders and unlimited immigration?

We're watching the final desperate attempt to prevent the inevitable normalisation. London's 40% HTB means that at the end of the HTB loan these people will be ruined. In turn a whole generation will be facing the same reality.

Ps, Regular posters shouldn't feed trolls.