House Price Crash Forum

Relax Sunday Trading Laws To Help Shops, Mps Say

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35623976

Rules on Sunday opening hours for shops in England and Wales are out of date and need to be relaxed, a group of 200 MPs and council leaders has said.

In a letter to the Sunday Telegraph, they wrote that increasing spending on Sundays would boost job prospects and help shops compete with online firms.

They backed government plans to devolve Sunday trading laws to local councils.

However, the shopworkers' union said the majority of its members opposed extended Sunday trading hours.

In the letter, the group - which includes the cross-party British Infrastructure Group (BIG) of MPs - said the world had changed "a great deal" since Sunday trading laws were last updated in 1994.

This idea keeps cropping up, must be really desperate if they think this will boost the economy.

HOLA442

What can you possibly buy on a Sunday that you can't buy on any of the other 6 days of the week? They just don't want anybody to have time off together because they will start discussing how bad this country is run for 99% of the people!

I would imagine most of the people alive were conceived on a Sunday morning!

Why don't they just shove electrodes up our a$$es and zap us into shopping? Zaaaaap!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

People aren't going to have extra money to spend just because the shops are open longer! Or want to buy any more stuff for that matter. I honestly cannot think of a single instance where I might need to suddenly go and do a big food shop or buy some shoes or whatever, at the time on a Sunday they are not open now...

HOLA4410

They want to compete with the car boots...where most of the migrants go to pick up a bargain crap, and most of the natives go to sell it back to them...

clearly the economic recovery right there, now they want a bigger slice...

the sheeple are screwed or not as the case may be- like robots they are indoctrinated to spend every spare minute being annoying sodding consumers of tat, clogging up the streets and supermarkets...when the continentals are all sleeping with each other spreading some love or having a good nosh up and fine wine...perhaps I'm generalising

no culture, no hope here

(in fact, better they arent screwing as its seems it just adds to the massive pool of genetic stupidity. Even pretending to be a bit religious might do some of these oxygen wasters some good)

HOLA4411

People aren't going to have extra money to spend just because the shops are open longer! Or want to buy any more stuff for that matter. I honestly cannot think of a single instance where I might need to suddenly go and do a big food shop or buy some shoes or whatever, at the time on a Sunday they are not open now...

Sunday opening extensions is not going to help.

Internet, high housing costs, loads of debt from 10 years ago.

The supply fairy has well flown.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

About bloody time.

My partner's Canadian. He suggests doing things (difficult, complex, like - buying food) at 3.45pm. I remind him we'd need to find somewhere open past the next 15 minutes. He replies "Right. It's Sunday [walks off muttering] and apparently it's 1743".

Nobody rational would design a system were stores are open all the time most people are at work, and closed when they're available. You want a day when they're banned from pulling normal hours, fine, restrict them tuesday wednesday thursday for all I care.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm not sure I would have picked up 2 discounted gressingham duck breasts at Sainsburys yesterday if they was allowed to open past 4. Keep the restriction I say!

My spreadsheet of the times all the Supermarkets reduce would need changing.Saying that i tend to find Monday and Tuesday far superior days and if it rains heavily that day well even better.Mondays at reduction time (16.40-17.00) in my local Tesco there are more staff than customers.Im now supplying my parents and daughter as well.If they do change the sunday hours we will just have to work out the new times im afraid :lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Don't see how this well help. People only have a set amount to spend. If the shops are open longer the amount to spend does not magically increase.

Set amount to spend? Nah, borrow more. Osborne's growth figures are based on consumer borrowing increasing from 166% of GDP to 190% by 2020.