House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Electric Bicycles - Anyone Got One Or Thinking About It

I used to bike quite a lot for a few years. Got all the kit. Had daughter and stopped kind of due to pure laziness . go for the odd pootle about with her on the back still.

I'm now thinking about an electric bike as a half replacement for commuting to work . yes I could of course bike as per normal but ..it hasn't happened yet!

I'm looking at a mid drive bbs01 bafang or wheel.motor setup. I tried two electric bikes today. 2000 gbp whyte crank drive and volt pulse wheel drive.

Problem with both of them in s that they're not quick enough when the streets and bridle paths are empty :)

Tempted to be responsible naighty and go for a 500w mid drive or a 1000w rear wheel setup which should take it to 20mph without stressing it. Wouldn't want to go faster than that.

Anyone else got any insights to share ? When I tried them today I had a grin on my face . like having wind in your back all the time. Awesome feeling.

Could have done with one today on the way up the mountain, those westerly's were quite severe :(

Apparently the EU is channging the regs later this year lowering the power output of them. The people I know with electric bikes have been busy snapping up the more powerful ones in advance.

No. Think that's wrong. OVERALL eu is more liberal on output. Germany has speed pedelecs that can go 28mph. Uk recently.harmonized with overall eu andnni allows 250w as opposed to 200 previously or some such. Electric bikes in the UK cab travel up to 15.5 mph with electric assist and then needs to cut out.

It's still a fledgling market in the UK.

The batteries don't last forever. You should get 2 years use out of one battery. If the bike company goes bust, or the ebay seller disappears, you'll find it difficult to replace the battery. There are a whole host of different connectors and chargers. I would personally get a couple of batteries and chargers if you can at the same time.

If you go for a lead acid then it's heavier, and some mobility scooter places can replace the cells. Some bike shops won't touch them though, unless they sell electric bikes.

Li-ion ones are lighter, and more powerful - mobilty scooter places won't know how to change the cells though. Royal Mail won't touch Li-ion cells that are loose.

The other thing that can go is the speed controller - that's not too easy to find either.

No. Think that's wrong. OVERALL eu is more liberal on output. Germany has speed pedelecs that can go 28mph. Uk recently.harmonized with overall eu andnni allows 250w as opposed to 200 previously or some such. Electric bikes in the UK cab travel up to 15.5 mph with electric assist and then needs to cut out.

Probably.

It's still a fledgling market in the UK.

The batteries don't last forever. You should get 2 years use out of one battery. If the bike company goes bust, or the ebay seller disappears, you'll find it difficult to replace the battery. There are a whole host of different connectors and chargers. I would personally get a couple of batteries and chargers if you can at the same time.

If you go for a lead acid then it's heavier, and some mobility scooter places can replace the cells. Some bike shops won't touch them though, unless they sell electric bikes.

Li-ion ones are lighter, and more powerful - mobilty scooter places won't know how to change the cells though. Royal Mail won't touch Li-ion cells that are loose.

The other thing that can go is the speed controller - that's not too easy to find either.

Yep, what put me off is that I have no repair or service places anywhere near me. Having said that, a few people I have spoken with say that they have never had a problem in several years.

Several years is not long though when some of my pedal bikes are over 20 years old and still going.

I used to work with a guy in Switzerland who rode his electric bike 35km to work, recharged the batteries during the day, and then rode home 35km on it, all year round regardless of the weather.

He'd been doing it for years, and was still distinctly chubby, which I took to be a very good advert for the efficacy of these things.

Yes I`ve got a 30 year old bicycle although it is a bit of a `triggers broom`. (has an 8 speed sprocket and new wheels)

I wont need an electric bike for another 15 or 20 years.....by which time they should be pretty good?

I used to have a full-sized folding mountain bike (Dahon Matrix) with a legal Heinzmann front hub motor system built by Kinetics Glagow.

It was a powerful hill climber and had a great battery (Sanyo NiCds).

I sold it in the end as it was a little cumbersome for where I lived then - an Edwardian terrace with no side entrance.

Things have moved on a lot since. I really like the look of the mid-powered models where the transmission works through the gears. The new batteries are also much lighter.

There are also some interesting DIY projects out there, eg.

http://engineerdog.com/2015/11/13/the-bicycle-boosterpack-kit-a-new-ultralight-portable-electric-assist/

https://www.electricbike.com/kepler-super-commuter/

I do think the Law in Britain is holding things back though.

I used to have a full-sized folding mountain bike (Dahon Matrix) with a legal Heinzmann front hub motor system built by Kinetics Glagow.

It was a powerful hill climber and had a great battery (Sanyo NiCds).

I sold it in the end as it was a little cumbersome for where I lived then - an Edwardian terrace with no side entrance.

Things have moved on a lot since. I really like the look of the mid-powered models where the transmission works through the gears. The new batteries are also much lighter.

There are also some interesting DIY projects out there, eg.

http://engineerdog.com/2015/11/13/the-bicycle-boosterpack-kit-a-new-ultralight-portable-electric-assist/

https://www.electricbike.com/kepler-super-commuter/

I do think the Law in Britain is holding things back though.

Cheers. Good reads! I've been on the kinetics website drooling over the recumbent....one day maybe !

I started an e-bike thread here in off-topic in 2012 or 2013 that contained a lot of posts with valuable information (from others here), I can't find it right now, the forum search seems to be limited to the past 12 months, maybe somebody with better forum search skills can locate it and post the link to it for Snafu's benefit.

Edit:

Here it is:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/189628-push-bike-electric-conversion-anyone-done-this/

My neighbour used to work for Matra, who are a big ebike maker so I got to try some wears. I even took one of his eMTBs up l'Alpe d'Huez

If you have a non legal eBike and cause an accident, even death then your liabilities could be pretty much unlimited. You would need to get your non legal ebike registered as an electric motorbike and get sufficient insurance. You could also be arrested and the bike confiscated if the police take an interest (say a complaint with you regularly blasting up a local bridle path).

If you have any hills a bottom bracket driven ebike that uses the bikes gears is more efficient.

If I didn't have a suitable bike I'd get a 200 quid mtb from Decathlon and fit a Bafang motor from these guys

http://ebike-sales.co.uk/product/bafang-bbs01-250w-36v-mid-drive-conversion-kit

I think I posted on the linked thread but here's my recap:

When Mrs JTB was at home with two sprogs we bought a trailer for her bike. This worked fine until they got a bit bigger and a bit heavier and the hill between us and the village might as well have been the Tourmalet. So I bought (coincidence with previous poster!) a Heinzmann powered bike from Kinetics.

It was superb. Solved all the day-to-day getting about and daily transport issues (trailer had space for both kids and shopping) and allowed us to get out further afield at weekends for picnics and daytrips - and all the stuff "normal people" do with cars.

When I occasionally did the pre-school run, I had an absolute hoot. Sometimes we'd overtake lycra clad roadies on a climb - which the children loved! And the gravel off-road sections were just thrilling at top speed with full on motor assist.

If I were doing it today, I'd read up at (IIRC) a forum called "endless sphere" and build my own mid-drive Bafeng bike. Mrs JTB says we should go entirely car free when she gives up the day job and, when we get old and decrepit, have electric tricycles.

You should get a Norton with a sidecar.