House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Music On The Darkside Of The Moon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3456741/Apollo-10-astronauts-heard-mysterious-music-far-moon-newly-uncovered-tapes-reveal-no-wasn-t-Pink-Floyd.html

• While orbiting the moon in 1969, the Apollo 10 team heard 'weird music'
  • They were on the far side of the moon, so it couldn't have come from Earth
  • The team debated whether to tell NASA command back home
  • Recordings of the event were declassified in 2008, and will be played on Science Channel's NASA's Unexplained Files this month

Whilst admittedly not up to date news, so must be a very slow news day. Radio feedback?

What do they mean by 'weird music'? How loud was it? A low background noise or music blasting through the capsule?

Behind the Moon should mean complete sound blackout from Earth but, I guess, there probably was some kind of reflection going on. Saying that, in the 1960s there was much less 'chatter' out there than today.

Perhaps, like in 'Close Encounters...', aliens were using music to try and communicate.

Apollo astronauts who orbited the moon two months before Neil Armstrong's famous 1969 landing heard mysterious and unexplainable 'music' on its far side, out of the range of Earthly radio transmissions, it has emerged.

Yet they still managed to communicate with Mission Control.

'You hear that? That whistling sound? Whooooooooo!' one of them says

Now they tell us.

Isn't that the sort of thing that Homer Simpson says - "Whooooooooo!"

I sometimes get something like that when I plug a charger into the cigar socket. It'll be just another of those messages coming from outer space I guess - space music probably. I wish they'd pick on someone else's cigar charger but give me the money and I'll do some research into it - a couple of billion should sort it.

They think people will soak up any old stuff of course in their bold quest for ever more $billions/ trillions of funding.

If they'd waited another 3 years they could have announced it for the 50 year celebrations.

There is no "dark side of the moon". We always see the same bit as it it locked in synchronous orbit! The other side gets light too, althought we don't see it. Unless you go round the other side!

There was a loss of signal when they went round the far side on every orbit.

I think the inference is that if they heard the "music" when they were in the loss of signal period, there was no way it could have come from earth. Directly anyway.

I think the inference is that if they heard the "music" when they were in the loss of signal period, there was no way it could have come from earth. Directly anyway.

Indeed saying loss of signal would make sense.

The article says "out of the range of Earthly radio transmissions" which implies it's the distance rather than the position and sounds like a bit of an unintentional slip up in the story.

How they managed to communicate with Mission Control over such long distances with hardly any time lag is a huge achievement.

They even managed a live video transmission from the surface of the moon of the Challenger module lift off. Maybe they had an outside broadcast team up there with masts and TV trucks and everything up there as well ;)

There is no "dark side of the moon". We always see the same bit as it it locked in synchronous orbit! The other side gets light too, althought we don't see it. Unless you go round the other side!

There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Not when they were behind the Moon. The radio blackouts were quite dramatic if you were watching, especially if a critical manouvre had to take place there.

How they managed to communicate with Mission Control over such long distances with hardly any time lag is a huge achievement.

Gosh, it was almost as if radio signals travelled at the speed of light.

Clangers and tromboniums! Isn't the univesre beautiful? -_-

Music aside, what an incredible moment it must have been for the Apollo 10 crew to see what no human eyes had directly* witnessed before.

*Russian unmanned probes had already produced a photo atlas by then, so they knew what to expect.

The crew of Apollo 8 saw that side of the moon first.

The crew of Apollo 8 saw that side of the moon first.

Quite right - I stand corrected.

Still something awesome to be on other side of the Moon - the furthest humans have ever travelled in space.

Re. Michael Collins experience as command module pilot of Apollo 11, Charles Lindbergh wrote, not long after his safe return, to tell him that his part of the mission was one of "greater profundity ... you have experienced an aloneness unknown to man before".

Gosh, it was almost as if radio signals travelled at the speed of light.

They do indeed and apparently there's calculated to be a 2.5 second time lag back and forth to the moon (forth and back if you prefer) rather than almost instantaneous.

Indeed it would be loss of signal although the bbc said out of range.

Not when they were behind the Moon. The radio blackouts were quite dramatic if you were watching, especially if a critical manouvre had to take place there.

Indeed not when they were behind the moon. The intriguing bit is how they managed to broadcast a video of the module lift off from the moon's surface.