House Price Crash Forum

2016 Baked Beans - Not Impressed

UncleMeat

HOLA441

Last week we finally finished our last tins of 2006-2008 baked bean stash. All from the major manufacturer beginning with "H". This week I purchased a new stock of beans and we just had some as part of our traditional Sunday Full English. I was shocked at the lack of beans and huge amount of very watery sauce. Not impressed in the slightest, does anyone have any surplus pre-2010 beans they are willing to flog?

Will happily swap for 2004 era chicken curry tins and Fray Bentos tinned gristle pies.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Very many brands have become diluted, massive shrinkage, cheaper ingredients, more water, thickenings, less weight, lower quality.......and they think we can't notice.

Last week my mate cleaned out a cupboard and was going to throw away past the sell by date tins......I was horrified and took them to open and use, perfect inside and good to eat.....for example: a tin of Italian tomatoes was crammed with fruit and thick tomato juice.....today the same tin has less tomato and thinner juice....proof if ever I saw it. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Very many brands have become diluted, massive shrinkage, cheaper ingredients, more water, thickenings, less weight, lower quality.......and they think we can't notice.

Last week my mate cleaned out a cupboard and was going to throw away past the sell by date tins......I was horrified and took them to open and use, perfect inside and good to eat.....for example: a tin of Italian tomatoes was crammed with fruit and thick tomato juice.....today the same tin has less tomato and thinner juice....proof if ever I saw it. ;)

Will check that out tomorrow, sure I have some old ones laying around somewhere.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

How many beans do you get in a tin?

How many beans do you get?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind!

The answer is blowing in the wind.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

A bean, a bean, a half a bean, a bean, a bean and a half. ;)

Bread is another thing that people should be buying on weight rather than volume. Cheap bread is pumped full of air so that it looks bigger.

Not all loaves are created equal.

Tis very true......full of air and pre frozen, light as a feather......the French would not tolerate it.....my homemade is min 800g per loaf.......the best bread is heavy bread.... ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

High carbs and high sugar...

Sure carbs turn into sugar........grains and nuts are good for you, as long as you do not top up with refined sugars, and other cabs such as white rice and chips........good bread has good fibre and plenty of roughage...... ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

so you are inferring warren buffet already had placemen in Heinz:

1)to make the new recipe deliberately shite and lose sales

2)as per 1, drop the share price

3)step in with a knock-down offer, and then make it all better again by re-introducing(nearly) the original recipe?

well I've got a punt for him.

Tesco.

their own brand stuff has been getting steadily poorer quality of late.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

A million Jews everyday

pick up a tin of beans and say

"oi, theres one missing!"

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

We get through tons of beans. Heinz are consistently inferior to some supermarket own brands, but as said the water content does vary from can to can.

Try your own taste test.

We like Sainsburys best. Tesco are Ok (not the everyday ones which are foul).

Half the price of heinz tho a little higher in sugar.

Havent tried Aldi which are touch cheaper. Lidl are same price as Sainsbury's.

Archived