House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Ea's Follow Up Calls After Weekend Viewing

One EA called me up after viewing a property at the weekend and asked if I liked the house. I said I did but wondered how by just changing the flooring downstairs they had managed to double the value of the house in under 2 years.

"Shall I say you don't like it then ?"

"No I do like it, I just wondered how you come up with your valuations ?"

Phone went down

Am I just EA baiting (time wasting) as my hubs calls it or is it fair to ask them to justify their figures ?

One EA called me up after viewing a property at the weekend and asked if I liked the house. I said I did but wondered how by just changing the flooring downstairs they had managed to double the value of the house in under 2 years.

Phone went down

Am I just EA baiting (time wasting) as my hubs calls it or is it fair to ask them to justify their figures ?

The EA hung up on you? That's quite rude... It is a reasonable question!

I would say i'm in no hurry - and if i'm cheeky, I shall say i'm not a forced buyer! :)

Phone went down

I think the more telling story there is that:-

1.) The estate agent called you back to chase a sale

2.) The estate agent put the phone down without trying to push the sale as if it is becoming a regular pattern!

The tides turning so get you surf board out guys!

I have often wondered what EA's tell vendors when someone turns down the property. I wonder if any of them say "they said the price was too high"?

Probably not <_<

Maybe that is why when reading the Expat forum they always complain about their houses being turned down for silly reasons....perhaps not...perhaps the vendors didn't say "it hasn't got off road parking" perhaps what they actually said was "£250K for that...you'r having a larfff"

EA's have only got themselves to blame - they should be realistic with the vendor.

Hmm. I've accidently discovered a good way of passing a few minutes. Agent rang up, I said: "hmm, nice house. Yes like it a lot" (excited noises down phone from ea) "second viewing? yes, that sounds like a good idea. But I don't want to waste your time, would the vendor be willing to consider an offer 20% below asking? Cos otherwise I'm not coming out to see it again" (long silence, followed by sound of ea choking on warm cup of overpriced latte) "fair enough, I'm renting at the moment, not really in a rush, give me a ring if the vendor changes their mind" (poor argument on local market from ea) "no, I've noticed at least 3 houses at this price coming back on as chains collapsed, so I don't see that I'm going to miss the boat as you whimsically put it(OK, I didn't say whimsically, but I wanted to)

ah. So enjoyable. I feel guilty just thinking about it. Oh, no, the feeling has gone.

I have been quoting this site and the obvious stats. we all know and love by now, whilst going in to the E.A.'s and asking them what they think of the market and how's the year been etc.

This is what they tell me.

This year has been very good for the housing market, yes we've been busy the last 2 weeks, It is always a good time to buy.

So I think everyone on this site is 100% WRONG.

An Estate Agent told me.

last time i was asked for feedback on a house i said i was surprised how small it was for the price - i was told 'yes, but this is harrogate etc' - i replied 'i know, ive lived here for 35 years etc' - i then had a chat about their valuation and was told they had sold another in that area recently etc. - i asked why the one i looked at was up for 10% more than the selling price of the previous one - i was told that the vendor thought it might be worth the extra - i was asked if i would like to make an offer - i indicated that if i did it would probably be taken as an insult and indicated something along the lines of 65% of the asking price (justified by it's previous selling price) - needless to say it went nowhere and i just havent bothered since - that was in the summer

Phone went down

Says it all - they know they cant justify it!!

Terrified - I think your on the Wirral arent you? I have noticed that C*ive W*tkin and BAO are not dropping prices. Neither are SW and H*lifax. But I thought the first two being "smaller" would have to move with market conditions and theya re not. Can see them closing down a branch soon.

I had a woman from SW in Moreton phone me everytime a house fitted a description. 3 bed semi with garden. When she described the house they used to say - its everything that you looking for. Can you imagine how you buy a car using this same phylosophy? The first garage you see you will buy it becuase its "just what your looking for" i.e. it drives therefore buy it.

Carry on questioning and make it clear that if it was priced correctly you would consider it but for the price it was disappointing. Or go back to the house and tell them - The EA will just say they didnt like it. Not Im sorry but we have put a silly price on your house and only a total knob would pay that price - sorry for putting your life on hold!

TB

If you aint from the Wirral - exclud 2nd Para. :)

I went to see a house a few months back. I genuinely did like the house and could see potential. But it needed a lot of work and that was not reflected in the price. I know it had been empty for some time and I think it must have been tenants. There were still Christmas lights up outside and a calendar hanging up showing December 2004 :). It needed a lot of work and even the bathroom had plaster and tiles coming off the walls.

Although I'd worked out the vendor was certainly not in a hurry to sell I phoned the agent back. I always do this out of politeness. When asked if I liked it I said I did, but felt it was very overpriced and that if I were to make an offer then the vendor would feel insulted. The EA pushed me and asked what kind of offer that would be. I told them 20% to 30% below the asking price...

"So would you like me to put that offer forward?"

"No thanks. But if the property comes down significantly in price then get back to me and I'll reconsider"

It's dropped £25K (about 5%) so far and since then other properties on the road - which are in good condition - have also dropped closer to this house. So it still looks overpriced :lol: I'm enjoying the wait and in all honesty I really don't care if it goes. But if it comes down a lot more then I'd definitely be tempted by a bargain.

It's dropped £25K (about 5%) so far and since then other properties on the road - which are in good condition - have also dropped closer to this house. So it still looks overpriced :lol: I'm enjoying the wait and in all honesty I really don't care if it goes. But if it comes down a lot more then I'd definitely be tempted by a bargain.

Going through the same thing myself. Put an offer DIRECT to the seller at 71% of asking price.

STILL WAITING

If I get it great If I Dont - I dont really care.

Todays silly price is tommorrows best price.

Same here. I viewed a house in a street I used to rent in, it was nearly the same layout but slightly smaller

everywhere, and some minor stuff needed fixing. I reckon the place was around 20-25 grand over priced comparing it to how my ex-rented house went for when I was there and that was bigger.

I never called the agent, but then they never called me either, but if they had I would have said pretty much the same thing, "you'd be insulted by my offer".

Going through the same thing myself. Put an offer DIRECT to the seller at 71% of asking price.

STILL WAITING

If I get it great If I Dont - I dont really care.

Todays silly price is tommorrows best price.

Why are you bothering to put an offer in then? If you don't care about whether you want the house or not then surely whatever price you pay is too much.

It's a bit like wandering into a Tescos and buying a chicken reduced by 25% when you have no means or desire to cook it.

Guest The_Oldie

Why are you bothering to put an offer in then? If you don't care about whether you want the house or not then surely whatever price you pay is too much.

It's a bit like wandering into a Tescos and buying a chicken reduced by 25% when you have no means or desire to cook it.

I feel pretty much the same about offers. I'll offer what the house is worth to me, if my offer is accepted I'll complete on the deal. If not, so what, I'm not that fussed if I never own a house again.

Phone went down

Any EA doing this to me will not be my EA any longer. That is just downright rude.