House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longtermrenter

Private Eye Magazine - Do Your Duty

I think everyone on this site should buy a subscription. It's the only real newspaper left in this country, even if it is bi-weekly. They have a regular housing column. The cartoon "out of date proverbs" this week was really good and totally HPC. Actually, that made me think of the money supermarket advert, 'you're so HPC'.

Anyway, I accept some of you will think it too left wing but it's an absolute bedrock of investigative journalism and so on the ball with all the financial machinations that heve been going on since it's inception

Had a postal sub for about 2 years, i should really get back on it.

Though i found it just wound me up even more most of the time.

Its Grim Up North London was my favourite. I think the Modern Toss chaps are in it now, which is good.

I read it regularly for a couple of years, but found the reams of descriptions of incompetence and corruption by those in positions of power and influence too depressing.

Given that most papers no longer even bother with investigative journalism, perhaps I should start buying again.

I understand and in many cases agree with many of the comments here but I think it's important to keep this outfit going. Their recent investigation into offshore property ownership was great and they are continuing to fight for new information to be released as Land Registry are trying to deny this. I just think they could uncover the next smoking gun to bring down a government.

Too left wing? PE has been gunning for Corbyn more than the Mail and Telegraph. Despite his sneering Hislop is as establishment as they come.

I've been a subscriber for more years than I care to remember and I still find it compelling reading. PE exposes some really bad stuff going on which the mainstream press tend to ignore (no slebs) or only pick up much later.

PE was first to expose the cosy love in between HMRC boss Hartnett and Vodafone. It's been banging on about the whistleblowing abuses in the NHS for years and some of the stuff it reports about the cynical and often criminal behaviour of the political class needs wider exposure.

From a HPC point of view, PE's current campaign on UK land and property owned by dirty money and tax avoiding trusts is a must read.

Best £21 you'll ever spend.

Though i found it just wound me up even more most of the time.

This is what I found and hence I didn't re-subscribe. I know most of what is going on anyway and reading about it in PE was just depressing. I don't know how they can retain staff at PE really.

Add to this, I find the constant UKIP/Russia bashing tiresome and thoroughly misguided. To the point where I would question Hislop's judgement on other matters.

I've been a subscriber for more years than I care to remember and I still find it compelling reading. PE exposes some really bad stuff going on which the mainstream press tend to ignore (no slebs) or only pick up much later.

PE was first to expose the cosy love in between HMRC boss Hartnett and Vodafone. It's been banging on about the whistleblowing abuses in the NHS for years and some of the stuff it reports about the cynical and often criminal behaviour of the political class needs wider exposure.

From a HPC point of view, PE's current campaign on UK land and property owned by dirty money and tax avoiding trusts is a must read.

You've probably already seen it, but just in case....

'You will depart immediately, before we set the dogs on you'

:blink:

They were antivax? Bastards!

I used to SysAdmin those! I was a "priest" sort of. I had my hands on the big one, the 8800. It was a temple for me. ;) F8ck HP Windows servers.

PE is not quite Viz. Viz has the pulse of the common folk, who don't mind a bit of swearing, and can see stupidity. PE is very establishment. Every King needs a good jester. ;)

I have to admit I quite like reading it from time to time, but I'd rather see the Fat Slags eating their chips whilst having sex standing on one leg. :blink:

It's hardly Scallywag.

The problem I have, with these HMRC type expose articles, is I suspect they are all carefully managed. Naughty HMRC is doing deals with the naughty multi-nationals based offshore and conveniently this leaks out.

This seems a very convenient way of scapegoating on to HMRC, and some individual like Lin Homer who publicly take the flak and have to sit in front of the MP's Select Committee for a bit of theatre of the sort the current affairs consuming sheeple like.

I think it's more likely the tax arrangements of these companies are condoned by government and this charade lays the blame at the feet of HMRC. It's similar with immigration when some civil servant in charge of immigration and border control is dragged in front of the cameras to take the blame. The public is then bemused when the same civil servant goes off to generous retirement package with honours which doesn't seem to make sense when they have supposedly been publicly branded as incompetent by MPs.

What does interest me is whether or not the civil servants realise they're being rewarded, for being the fall guy, for something the government actually wanted but had to pretend to the public it didn't, or if they're just someone incompetent they chose deliberately. They always seem to get into difficulty when they do pick someone, for a job like Drugs Tsar, and they take it seriously and actually make inroads into cracking down on drugs.

Unfortunately, all the mainstream media is controlled. Private Eye is amusing, but I doubt it will step out of line as much as it used to. (Remember 'Kill An Argie, Win A Metro.)

The funny part: The BBC and The Guardian are run by MI6 and people think they are left wing.

'Medialens' does a reasonable job of scrutinising media manipulation, but I'm not sure anyone cares.

It's hardly Scallywag.

The problem I have, with these HMRC type expose articles, is I suspect they are all carefully managed. Naughty HMRC is doing deals with the naughty multi-nationals based offshore and conveniently this leaks out.

This seems a very convenient way of scapegoating on to HMRC, and some individual like Lin Homer who publicly take the flak and have to sit in front of the MP's Select Committee for a bit of theatre of the sort the current affairs consuming sheeple like.

I think it's more likely the tax arrangements of these companies are condoned by government and this charade lays the blame at the feet of HMRC. It's similar with immigration when some civil servant in charge of immigration and border control is dragged in front of the cameras to take the blame. The public is then bemused when the same civil servant goes off to generous retirement package with honours which doesn't seem to make sense when they have supposedly been publicly branded as incompetent by MPs.

What does interest me is whether or not the civil servants realise they're being rewarded, for being the fall guy, for something the government actually wanted but had to pretend to the public it didn't, or if they're just someone incompetent they chose deliberately. They always seem to get into difficulty when they do pick someone, for a job like Drugs Tsar, and they take it seriously and actually make inroads into cracking down on drugs.

Not to mention Margaret Hodge nee Oppenheimer <_< and her shares in the family business. knut

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/9668396/Margaret-Hodges-family-company-pays-just-0.01pc-tax-on-2.1bn-of-business-generated-in-the-UK.html