House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

You Are What You Eat And Eat From...

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/?event=notificationsList&StartRow=1#

migration of melamine (3.1 mg/l) from melamine bowl from China, via Italy

unauthorised substances carbendazim (0.25 mg/kg - ppm), hexaconazole (0.058 mg/kg - ppm), diafenthiuron (0.18 mg/kg - ppm) and chlorfenapyr (0.079 mg/kg - ppm) in fresh chilli peppers from Vietnam

migration of chromium (7.1 mg/l) and of manganese (0.2 mg/l) from steel knives from China

I'm still reeling from yesterday's report that some Starbucks drinks contain the equivalent of 20 tablespoonfuls of sugar

Just ask for black coffee and put in your own!

I'm still reeling from yesterday's report that some Starbucks drinks contain the equivalent of 20 tablespoonfuls of sugar

The peak was 25! It wasn't something that I'd had (started with Chai) but it shows that they don't care.

I was actually unwell from a ridiculously sweet one in the US and have since avoided any sweetened coffees like the plague.

The packaging that I've always wondered about is for bottled water. Whether it be cheap or pricey you are drinking water that could have been absorbing chemicals from soft plastics for months. Very healthy.

I do buy them very occasionally and then use them as water bottles for months; knowing that my tap water is only sitting in them for a few days at most before I drink it.

You do wonder who on earth likes these revolting concoctions containing caramel syrup and marshmallows and God knows what.

The peak was 25! It wasn't something that I'd had (started with Chai) but it shows that they don't care.

http://www.actiononsugar.org/News%20Centre/Surveys%20/2016/170862.pdf

Café Drink Sugars per serving (g) Teaspoons of sugar per serving

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Venti 99.0 25

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Apple with Chai, Dried Apple and Cinnamon Venti 88.0 22

Costa Coffee Chai Latte Massimo - Eat In 79.7 20

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Grande 76.0 19

Would people assume these were healthy? I think that's probably the biggest con.

My dear husband said people should know they are not healthy as they probably taste nice.

:)

Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream Venti 73.8 18

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Apple with Chai, Dried Apple and Cinnamon Grande 69.0 17

Starbucks Signature Hot Chocolate Venti 60.0 15

Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream Grande 59.1 15

KFC Mocha 58.8 15

Costa Coffee Mocha Latte Massimo - Eat Out 57.5 14

Costa Coffee Mocha Latte Massimo - Eat In 56.3 14

KFC Hot Chocolate with cream 54.3 14

Costa Coffee Hot Chocolate Massimo - Eat Out 54.0 14

Costa Coffee Hot Chocolate Massimo - Eat In 53.1 13

Costa Coffee Mocha Massimo - Eat Out 52.6 13

Starbucks Chai Tea Latte Venti 52.0 13

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Tall 52.0 13

Costa Coffee Mocha Massimo - Eat In 51.7 13

Caffe Nero Caramelatte - Drink In 50.6 13

Costa Coffee Chai Latte Medio - Eat In 49.3 12

Starbucks Signature Hot Chocolate Grande 47.4 12

Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruit - Apple with Chai, Dried Apple and Cinnamon Tall 47.0 12

Eat Matcha Latte Big 45.2 11

KFC Mocha 45.1 11

Greggs Mocha Large 45.0 11

Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream Tall 44.4 11

Starbucks Mocha with Whipped Cream Venti 43.2 11

McDonalds Mocha Large 43.0 11

Eat Chai Latte Big 42.8 11

Pret a Manger Orange Spiced Hot Chocolate 42.2 11

Starbucks Caramel Macchiatto Venti 42.1 11

On my first visit to Majorca a couple of years ago one of the cheering things I noticed about Palma (as everywhere else) was that there was not one chain coffee shop to be seen, hallelujah. Instead there were umpteen cafes where you could have a cup of proper coffee for a couple of Euros. And what's more the waiter brought it to you in a few minutes - you didn't have to queue up for ages while 'baristas' faffed around making these gross and sickly messes.

On my first visit to Majorca a couple of years ago one of the cheering things I noticed about Palma (as everywhere else) was that there was not one chain coffee shop to be seen, hallelujah. Instead there were umpteen cafes where you could have a cup of proper coffee for a couple of Euros. And what's more the waiter brought it to you in a few minutes - you didn't have to queue up for ages while 'baristas' faffed around making these gross and sickly messes.

What I loved about Israel - no multi-national chains

I did see one Macdonalds and it was virtually deserted with a burger rival across the road absolutely rammed - I went there instead and it was awesome. It was called Moses Burgers (I kid you not, but they are a mini-chain in Israel) and it was absolutely delicious

Why should they? Their function is to sell you delicious treats, if you overindulge that's on you. They already publish the ingredients and breakdowns of sugar etc.

Stop and think about it. The alternative where someone else takes responsibility for what you may eat and drink is too dismal to think about.

What is this stuff for? I only like coffee with coffee in it.