House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

To All The Landlords

Congratulations on being in the position this xmas to have the credit rating to be a landlord.

Well done! You now have people that had no Equity to buy paying you your living,you gotta send a letter to the gods and thank them.

You sir have the same paying job probably that your tenents have, your earning the same money as your tenent does, your tenent could even be earning more than you.

But because of this housing pyramid, your tenent instead of owning the house they rent off you that you bought from equity in your house is now going out there working for you.

Its not your tenents fault he earns what you do, he aint lazy heck he could even earn more than you.

but every week he goes out now and puts aside the amount of his wages to pay you, which you then probably give to the bank.

Perhaps this xmas it would be a nice thing to give your tenent a nice bottle of whisky(i recomend talisker) in gratitute for paying your mortgage and looking after your mortgage.

while giving them it think if they earn the same as you, bow your head humbly and thank god that you were 5 years ahead of them in buying, bow your head in gratitude the people that probably earn more than you ever have, are making you rich by the luck of god.

Now in the new year when it all gets that little bit harder, just understand that what you worked hard for and thought you were smart about could have happened to your tenent but the luck of time, and might just turn around in there favour.

so say thank you tttr, llandy and all you other landlords on here that your tenents have been priced out by fait from what you are enjoying.

good bless and peace to you all.

Edited by homeless

Congratulations on being in the position this xmas to have the credit rating to be a landlord.

Well done! You now have people that had no Equity to buy paying you your living,you gotta send a letter to the gods and thank them.

You sir have the same paying job probably that your tenents have, your earning the same money as your tenent does, your tenent could even be earning more than you.

But because of this housing pyramid, your tenent instead of owning the house they rent off you that you bought from equity in your house is now going out there working for you.

Its not your tenents fault he earns what you do, he aint lazy heck he could even earn more than you.

but every week he goes out now and puts aside the amount of his wages to pay you, which you then probably give to the bank.

Perhaps this xmas it would be a nice thing to give your tenent a nice bottle of whisky(i recomend talisker) in gratitute for paying your mortgage and looking after your mortgage.

while giving them it think if they earn the same as you then bow your head humbly and thank god that you were 5 years ahead of them in buying, bow your head in grastitude the people that probably earn more than you ever have are making you rich by the luck of fait.

Now in the new year when it all gets that little bit harder, just understand that what you worked hard for and thought you were smart about could have happened to your tenent but the luck of time, and might just turn around in there favour.

so say thank you tttr, llandy and all you other landlords on here that your tenents have been priced out by fait to what you are enjoying.

AMEN

Well as an ex Landlord who was paying the bank £200 a month and the letting agents £85 a month for the pleasure of letting some bastards trash my house, can I point out that your ramblings don't apply in every case.

I dont' know about the rest of you guys, but we are renting my choice, and our landlord is a nice enough guy. He is happy to have tenents who both pay the rent on time, and take good care of the place.

He has NEVER been snobby, rude or anything like that.

I dont' know about the rest of you guys, but we are renting my choice, and our landlord is a nice enough guy. He is happy to have tenents who both pay the rent on time, and take good care of the place.

He has NEVER been snobby, rude or anything like that.

and most of the tenents would be happier just buying and not renting at all, they can afford it or at least a working man should be able to.

aint you landlords working men?, did you not buy a house from a working wage?

Edited by homeless

while giving them it think if they earn the same as you then bow your head humbly and thank god that you were 5 years ahead of them in buying, bow your head in grastitude the people that probably earn more than you ever have are making you rich by the luck of fait.

so say thank you tttr, llandy and all you other landlords on here that your tenents have been priced out by fait to what you are enjoying.

buddy, you are only priced out because the landlords you are refering to are prepared to pay more then you are..

(you could get an interest only mortgage and an 8 times salary loan, so don't say you can't afford..)

the only reason you don't own in today's market is

1: You are not prepared to commit fraud.

2: You are not prepared to borrow so many multiples of your salary that you could't pay of your mortgage capital and interest.

3: you are aware that interest only mortgages dopes not constitute buying a home on any level, only accepting responsibility for the upkeep of a property that you will never own.

4: you are aware that the wage increases that people rely on to make the mortgage affordable rely on inflation that is not going to happen.

5: damnit.. it's a cycle.. your timing was crummy and you missed the good time to buy, but you are aware that for one time to be good another must be bad, that is the way of cyclical things..

6: You rent. :)

and most of the tenents would be happier just buying and not renting at all, they can afford it

Our landlord bought this house 25 years ago. He lived in this house with his family before they moved on. He has made some wonderful long term investments. I am not going to begruge him an honest months rent. He is not to blame for this bubble.

Edited by Karen

Our landlord bought this house 25 years ago. He lived in this house with his family before they moved on. He has made some wonderful long term investments. I am not going to begruge him an honest months rent. He is not to blame for this bubble.

me niever if i could buy a house today on 400 pound wages a week, i wouldnt begrudge him either

I really don't mean to be awkward here, or too fussy, or a pain, but if you are going to write multiple posts standing up for your position, it might be helpful to spell the word TENANT. I'm really not that fussed but it does kind of lend a bit more weight to your argument, which I do agree with.

TENANT.

Not tenent.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

[ENTER WISE MEN]

[PROMPT]

"oh mary. we are the three wise men who followed the bright full colour daily star.

we bring you gifts from virgin records such as fm gold, frank in france and blur."

unsettling pause.

[ENTER ROBINS]

..the holly and the ivy when...ect"

Edited by right_freds_dead

Actually I think you're getting what you pay for Homeless. As a store sells you something, you expect them to thank you for your custom, so I thank you on behalf of landlords for your custom.

But please remember, you need those stores to operate, or you'd be living in a desert. So it's about time that you thanked them for being there, willing to compete with other stores so that your goods can be bought at competetive prices.

On behalf of landlords, I will be willing to accept your thanks for us being there to provide your accomodation at a reasonable cost, free of harrassment & long term commitment.

Just imagine the world with no stores, no landlords offering housing, no employers offering jobs, where would you be? I say you'd be up s**t creek without a paddle.

I live in a world where I am thankful for the stores, but I got my act together and realised that I need to be a provider of a service to avoid being an employee forever. Take that profound wisdom & use it, you have the same opportunities I had.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

I live in a world where I am thankful for the stores, but I got my act together and realised that I need to be a provider of a service to avoid being an employee forever. Take that profound wisdom & use it, you have the same opportunities I had.

Full marks to tTRtr. Get over yourself, homeless. There's more to life than working for the man. Ttrtr had an opportunity and took it. If you keep moaning with your head in the sand you'll never find your own opportunities. Yes life is tough. Join the party.

[i rent].

Edited by stillill

I had a landlord who left a very nice bottles of red wine out for us when we moved in.

I guess he hoped that by keeping us sweet we wouldn't trash the place... well, we weren't planning to trash the place anyway, but it kept us on good terms.

Most of the other landlords we've had (with one other notable exception) have been snooty and self important idiots....

More fool them. If they don't treat me well (A good tenant who looks after their property and always pays on time) then I'll be off.

Everytime my contract is up there seems to be somewhere better value to rent so moving is really not too much of an issue.

Most of the other landlords we've had (with one other notable exception) have been snooty and self important idiots....

This is common, especially amongst the new amateurs. Maybe its because the very term "Landlord" is stuffy and pretentious and implies that they have "made it" and that the masses should show them respect.

"Oh, look and me. I'm a landlord"....swagger, swagger....(disappears up own backside)

This is common, especially amongst the new amateurs. Maybe its because the very term "Landlord" is stuffy and pretentious and implies that they have "made it" and that the masses should show them respect.

"Oh, look and me. I'm a landlord"....swagger, swagger....(disappears up own backside)

Very true, most of them have been new BTL amateurs.

The more established landlords were far more polite.

It seems like they think they have done soething very clever by BTLing.... how silly will they feel in a few years?

But please remember, you need those stores to operate, or you'd be living in a desert.

This is completely wrong. If my propery was not there for me to rent, I could build it for ~60k on the vancant land.

Land owners have just cornered the market in Land and won't let me on without paying. (I don't blame you)

It's far more like getting someone to sign a contract to deliver copper at a future date and then quickly buying all the copper and putting it in a safe. They're screwed. You're rich. Well done.

edited for typo

Edited by no accountant

I moved into a flat in January where two of us paid £50pw each

In May I found a better deal and moved into a house where three of us pay £140pm each

(my previous flatmate moved back home she was having a rough time)

It's nicer and cheaper.

The LL of the flat I lived in was a BTL he bought the place for £85,000 a couple of years ago and after spending quite a bit of money on it (I have no idea how much, kitchen, bathroom, etc) it's for sale for £190,000 (very ambitious). It has been on the market since I moved out in May, when it became vacant, and last time I saw him he'd had no viewers (in six months). He can't find any tenants (it’s for sale) or buyers and is very reluctant to drop the price as he seems to believe it's a seasonal lull. He fully expects to sell the place to a booming market early next year. It's a small town and everyone my age agrees it's a rip off. By refusing to sell much lower the LL is biting off his nose to spite his face.

In contrast the house I rent now the LL is a builder in his mid 50's he owns some 20 properties all small houses and looks after them all and is very helpful. Speaking to him about housing etc.. He just see's the whole business as something his grand kids can inherit. He has basically bought one very run down vacant property every year and spent all summer working his ass off to put it right, all his materials and fittings are bought at cost, he is a builder, wiring and plumbing is done by local tradesmen doing foreigners often as a favour.

I think this paints a clear picture of the difference between recent young BTL and what you would recognise as a LL. My current LL (the builder) doesn't seem worried about a crash, he does say (grudgingly!) "prices will always go up in the end" but he is referring to a 100 year mean price not the current market value. He is actually hoping for a crash so next year’s purchase is cheaper! He is not looking to make any profits whatsoever from capital gains, whereas recent BTL's are.

These are two very different business models and are in direct competition. One is superior.

This is completely wrong. If my propery was not there for me to rent, I could build it for ~60k on the vancant land.

Land owners have just cornered the market in Land and won't let me on without paying. (I don't blame you)

It's far more like getting someone to sign a contract to deliver copper at a future date and then quickly buying all the copper and putting it in a safe. They're screwed. You're rich. Well done.

edited for typo

You are missing the point by miles. How will you build yourself a quality house? You will need an architect, a town planner, a builder, materials supplied, decoration, services to the property........the list goes on and on.

Landlords are providers of a service. You are welcome to provide for yourself by buying or building yourself. You are not commited to our properties long term. You are free, I release you....... :D

But in the meantime, a little mutual respect wouldn't be a bad thing now would it?

(you could get an interest only mortgage and an 8 times salary loan, so don't say you can't afford..)

Urm, are you on another planet ? 8 times salary loan, urm, I think he has every right to say he can't afford.

Homeless - good post, I share your sentiments 100%.

You are missing the point by miles. How will you build yourself a quality house? You will need an architect, a town planner, a builder, materials supplied, decoration, services to the property........the list goes on and on.

Landlords are providers of a service. You are welcome to provide for yourself by buying or building yourself. You are not commited to our properties long term. You are free, I release you....... :D

But in the meantime, a little mutual respect wouldn't be a bad thing now would it?

You say that Landlords are providers of a service. But to be honest, we don't need landlords to provide us with homes or houses that already exist. I can provide myself with my own service of buying a house. But guess what, they're all owned by BTL or landlords. So what service are you offering to me ? except the service of leveraging credit to decrease housing stock. Who are you to say I need you, or indeed you're required in a market place. I need a home, a place to live, it is just unfortunate you happen to own them. Do not mistake that for a service, we don't need you at all - you need us!

I think the business of being a landlord or any business that profits on people needing the most basic requirement in life (shelter) is a shallow and spineless business endeavour. There needs to be some legislation in multi-home ownership, quite frankly the current situation is ridiculous.

It seems to me that there's a big difference between longterm landlords who have been in the business for years, with slow but steady progression of their business (like the builder example) and new upstart BTLers.

It is the BTLers that people begrudge and it is them who will fail first.

There is a need for a rental market of some sort. This takes two forms: social 'affordable' housing and short term housing.

Short term housing is great for people who move around a lot, don't want ties or are on a short term employment contract.

To tar all landlords with the same brush is not really sensible.

The professional landlords should survive any price correction since capital gain is a secondary concern. Income is the primary purpose. Johnny-come-lately BTLers have largely had a business plan based of capital appreciation and any income was designed to pay off capital too.

This model works in a rising market but the old-fashioned traditional landlord model should work most, if not all, of the time.

It's always the last in who cause, and ultimately pop, a bubble, and in this case it's recent BTLers.

while giving them it think if they earn the same as you, bow your head humbly and thank god that you were 5 years ahead of them in buying, bow your head in gratitude the people that probably earn more than you ever have, are making you rich by the luck of god.

so say thank you tttr, llandy and all you other landlords on here that your tenents have been priced out by fait from what you are enjoying.

Hmmm... cant say I agree with all your thoughts.

I do not begrudge anyone that is prepared to take a risk and is successful. If someone was left a house and they decided to rent out at a reasonable rate then GOOD ON THEM.

Where I do object is the BTL mortgage. How can anyone get £1million worth of housing in 9 months and if it goes tits up they can just go bankrupt? This is my gripe - abusing the system.

Some LL are good to their tenants (I have rented once). Unfortunately, in my circumstance my landlord was nowhere to be seen and when we got broken into and all my stuff was robbed his attitude was "Im not insured - hard shit". I left immediately!

So in dort, I'm all for free enterprise and respect people that have the balls to take a risk. Unfortunately, the systems this country has in place mean anyone can get money and try it. This is what has kept the FTB's out the market.