House Price Crash Forum

House Prices In Scotland Down -0.2% In 2015

According to the ONS average house prices in Scotland are down -0.2% in 2015. That compares to rises of 7.4% in England (which itself, of course, masks a divide between London and the SE and the rest of England) and 1% in Wales and 1.5% in NI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35586056

The Scottish figure will, of course, itself contain considerable regional variations. The Registers of Scotland 2015 calendar year report is due out soon which should give more information.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, RoS says that average residential prices were up 3.6% in 2015, so who knows.

www.ros.gov.uk/property-data/property-statistics/calendar-year-reports

I'm not clear how the City of Edinburgh Property market can be said, as the report claims, to be "bringing in over £2.8 billion to the Scottish Economy" (total residential sales in the Capital were that amount). If anything I would have thought that that sum or a portion of it was being taken OUT of the Scottish economy, as people devote ever more of their resources to property instead of more useful things, but what do I know?

Yep - that money is holed up in things people need to live in that cost money to maintain every day. They were there before and they are there now. Any work on them would happen anyway. Its just a massive black hole sucking out money that could be used for other more productive ventures.

Those selling, and those providing the finance to sell - clearly are the only winners. Shock horror.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, RoS says that average residential prices were up 3.6% in 2015, so who knows.

www.ros.gov.uk/property-data/property-statistics/calendar-year-reports

I'm not clear how the City of Edinburgh Property market can be said, as the report claims, to be "bringing in over £2.8 billion to the Scottish Economy" (total residential sales in the Capital were that amount). If anything I would have thought that that sum or a portion of it was being taken OUT of the Scottish economy, as people devote ever more of their resources to property instead of more useful things, but what do I know?

You talk too much sense mate. You should probably emigrate.