House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

The "new American Dream" Does Not Include A House

I was thinking more of a Winnebago, with a couple of motorcycles strapped to the back, proper radar and a six inch naval gun on the roof, and a Wurlitzer that rises up through the floor, for when I feel a bit musical. ^_^ One can but dream.

Lots of people living in vans in the uk by choice because they can't stand the subscribed way of life of handing a huge chunk of your earnings to someone else for a roof over your head. Some go off to warmer climates in winter and some find work with lodgings or more home comforts over winter in the uk.

I could fairly easily live in a van if I had to as I've read plenty of blogs written by people doing it so have learned plenty of tips along with lots of accounts of good times.

It isn't my preferred choice of full time accommodation in the uk climate but I do currently have a modest camper van that I enjoy for pleasure trips. I always think of the camper van though as an "insurance policy" if hard times come for whatever reason.

I've known two people who lived in vans and one on a yacht.

All held down full time jobs and were / are generally admired for it.

Plus it saved them an absolute fortune.

There's lots of people here on the south coast living on boats, from 22' Bilge keel sailing boats to large Dutch barges. I can see the attraction, I'd like to live on a schooner!

I knew a few when I worked in the Thames Valley.

Someone I worked with had a camptery-van type thing.

He came from Brighton and did not want to leave or bring his kids up in the Thames Valley.

Drving everyday was too far.

He started off staying in a hotel a few nights ofthe week.

Then it dawned on him there were was a huge amount of deserted parking space in the area esp. at night.

So bought a van, drove it up on morning, stayed in ti til Weds, drove back Thursdays night.

Three nights is pretty doable esp. when the office has a shower and there's a super market nearby.

He worked his extra hours Tuesday + Weds - started 8, knocked off 8 - pretty doable when you do not have the grind of a commute.

Did light work at home on Friday.

There's lots of people here on the south coast living on boats, from 22' Bilge keel sailing boats to large Dutch barges. I can see the attraction, I'd like to live on a schooner!

You can get mortgages on canal boats now, and the price reflects this.

Quite a few canal boats seem to be permamently occupied (and hardly ever move). Price-wise one had a £40000 for sale sign in a window, I've not got a clue how representative that is.

When I was looking at moving south I went to look at the houseboats in Shoreham. There's a colourful mix of boats along the river, a real enclave of alternative living. Most people lived there because they couldn't afford a house. Now that the moorings have been sold they've been mortgaged and the price has gone through the roof. The demographic has changed, it's pretty much rich guardian reading Londoners trying to getaway from it all.

Aye it seems an expensive hobby living on boats. A few people I know did it Canal boats can cost a lot. Yes as Tripod says, there are marine mortgages. If you don't have a house it can be an interesting alternative, and you can't collect too much tat! :blink: That coat you don't wear will go to the charity shop!

Check this beauty out:

http://empirerv.co.uk/vehicle/damon-intruder-373/#prettyPhoto

50 grand, and feels like a small apartment inside. Beats buying an apartment!

Maybe I could rent one for a holiday! Is there a Wurlitzer in it? :blink: I think I will be stuck with a Renualt Lumbago, and a ukulele. Still at least I have a telescope, to see stars when I may be parked up out of town!

I think the practical difficulties if long-term permanent living in a van or boat would make it challenging, especially in winter. Hot water, heating, getting your laundry done all become harder.

I would like a camper but would go the Economic Exile route of using it to take off for a few days as an alternative option to Premier Inns, which I greatly like.

I think these 50 to 100 grand top of the range motorhomes might be a realistic alternative for people who can live with less stuff.

I particularly like the fact that some of them expand when you park; those that do end up literally as big as some apartments are.

Wow.

But I would be having kittens driving and parking that thing!

That's why I would recommend the six inch naval gun turret option! No idiot would get in your way. As for parking, I just reverse until I hear a noise!

Imagine having one of those vans somewhere reasonably warm and dry. Get up, have your breakfast, go for a cycle for a couple of hours, come back and play your guitar and/or read a book.

Park somewhere near a lake and go for a little paddle every day in your kayak.

Living the dream.

Imagine having one of those vans somewhere reasonably warm and dry. Get up, have your breakfast, go for a cycle for a couple of hours, come back and play your guitar and/or read a book.

Rinse and repeat.

I could do that.

As I type this I'm sat in my apartment living room which about 3.5m wide, with a big window, and feels spacious enough, and I had actually thought before that similar dimensions could exist in a big camper van if it 'folded in' while you were driving (since a big part of a room is basically empty space.

So I'm genuinely thrilled to see they've actually made RV's that do this, although they don't fold out as much as I would have liked, they're still big enough that you wouldn't feel claustrophobic.

Saw some channel 4 dream homes type show a few months back. Bloke built a really class wee house type boat thing on a permanent mooring down south somewhere.

Was small but really smartly put together - really nice.

His entire point of doing this was to be mortgage free. Good on him. However a mortgage will eventually be paid off. This bloke now had a £450 per month mooring fee that will last forever.

The sentiment was nice - but the reality was the same - he was still being ******ed by a land 'owner'.

Saw some channel 4 dream homes type show a few months back. Bloke built a really class wee house type boat thing on a permanent mooring down south somewhere.

Was small but really smartly put together - really nice.

His entire point of doing this was to be mortgage free. Good on him. However a mortgage will eventually be paid off. This bloke now had a £450 per month mooring fee that will last forever.

The sentiment was nice - but the reality was the same - he was still being ******ed by a land 'owner'.

I saw one of those property shows where a London flat (two bed, Edgware) had a £2,500 a year service charge, basically for the grounds as there was no gym or pool or other communal facilities.

When I was looking at a van as a week-time option for a job the site rates where realistically I would need to have it were about £30 a night. Half the price of a cheap hotel but tot that up and I could rent somewhere small.