House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Last Weekend's Shopping

Anyone seen any info/reaction to what happened on the High Street over the last weekend? Were sales up, down, average? Are we seeing the shops already putting on further reductions this week in a panic?

Brighton was busy but not manic as you'd expect just before Christmas. Debenhams was announcing over the instore radio that they were starting a 50% off sale on Boxing day!

Cheers,

Tim.

Headline news on BBC business

Late Christmas bonus for High St

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4542092.stm

Headline news on BBC business

Late Christmas bonus for High St

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4542092.stm

The good bit....

Researchers Footfall said overall the number of sales visits over the weekend were up 2.6% on last week.

However, the customer counting group did warn that the figures were significantly down on the same period last year.

I've said this before and it's always the case.

Late January when the numbers are published, this year's chrsitmas spend will - without doubt - be another record, bumper year as is the precedent for Christmas in the UK.

This week alone is set to break all previous records for supermarket spending.

It's the hangover that should be of greatest interest to us HPCers.

The credit card spend on this years festivities will truly be the bridge too far for consumer spending in 2006.

The retail sector so this Xmas far has been strange.

I went shopping on Saturday, and was godsmacked how quiet it was - there was loads of spare parking spaces in the best located car park. My Mother went to southampton on Sunday, and said it was very very busy.

I even asked a top heavy luvly on the checkout in M&S if today has been busy. 'Yes' she cried - I looked around and I was the only one in the queue?!?? :blink:

<_<

Just to help things along we had a nudge nudge wink wink from the BoE that they may be able to push down IR's so lets encourage even more consumer debt.

Hell they are still struggling to pay off last Christmas may as well put this one on the slate.

Edited by Spring Bounce?????

Just to help things along we had a nudge nudge wink wink from the BoE that they may be able to push down IR's so lets encourage even more consumer debt.

Hell they are still struggling to pay off last Christmas may as well put this one on the slate.

:lol::lol:

Cynical but precise.

The retail sector so this Xmas far has been strange.

I went shopping on Saturday, and was godsmacked how quiet it was - there was loads of spare parking spaces in the best located car park. My Mother went to southampton on Sunday, and said it was very very busy.

I even asked a top heavy luvly on the checkout in M&S if today has been busy. 'Yes' she cried - I looked around and I was the only one in the queue?!?? :blink:

<_<

I'd agree, I went to a big out of town shopping center extra early to avoid the q's. I might as well have stayed in bed as when I left at around 1 when I would have expected it was no busier than any other weekend. No massive q's not hordes of people.

I was really suprised. This was a shopping center that in previous years I spent an hour in a traffic jam actually trying to avoid it.

Doncaster was heaving in a nausiating fashion yesterday, but no big bags. Got the feeling everyone was just popping in to town for a few bits.

everywhere I've been its been a similar story. Plenty of consumers, not consuming much.

I can only conclude that people shop... for fun. That is, the subject themselves to the throng because they like looking at shiny things.

At best, I tolerate shopping, and see it as purely functional rather than recreational. Seeing lots of things that I couldn't possibly afford (houses being a prime example) makes me feel unpleasant so I prefer not to expose myself to it.

everywhere I've been its been a similar story. Plenty of consumers, not consuming much.

I can only conclude that people shop... for fun. That is, the subject themselves to the throng because they like looking at shiny things.

At best, I tolerate shopping, and see it as purely functional rather than recreational. Seeing lots of things that I couldn't possibly afford (houses being a prime example) makes me feel unpleasant so I prefer not to expose myself to it.

I share your sentiment entirely. Shopping is not fun, it is stressful. Driving through the madness is stressful, parking is stressful, being overwhelmed with useless expensive tat is stressful, queuing is stressful, parting with cash is stressful. I despise it. Especially at christmas, wrapping presents is stressful.

:lol::lol:

Cynical but precise.

Yep... well they're going to present their own Bankruptcy petition in the New Year anyway so it'd be daft not to. As long as they keep just enough credit on the card to pay the court fee

:D

I had to go into Bromley on Saturday to acquire some SCART leads for my mother-in-law (so as not to break a promise :rolleyes: ). It wasn't busy- I'm moderately impatient, but the queues were nowhere near long enough to raise my hackles. We bought the leads, spent a further £9 in poundland and then were out of there. We parked in the Glades with almost no bother- in the past you'd sometimes struggle to get a space on ANY Saturday, let alone the weekend before Christmas....

Still, I'm a bear and hence (in this context) a VI, so I must admit that I haven't made a habit of frequenting Bromley to Christmas shop in recent years (though I worked in a shop there until 2003).

Went to local mall today and I swear every other person was carrying Primark bags. Do they have a sale on? Or is it like when you buy a new car and suddenly every car you see is the same make as yours? (not that I have ever shopped in Primark!)

Oh, lots of Poundland bags, few Debenhams and Next and that was mostly it. Lots of people but not all loaded with shopping.

Was in Kingston upon thames today doing some Christmas shopping - mid-afternoon, queued for 5 mins for M&S multi storey (at this time of year that is fabulous!) and the shops were not that busy. Could even amble about without the fear of getting knocked over. Queues in shops were 2 or 3 deep if at all which is good at this time of year really.

Interesting, according to Digital Look in my in-box today.

Retailers are facing a nail-biting end to the Christmas season as consumers continued to hold back outside of London at the weekend.

In the last full Saturday before Christmas, the number of shoppers out across the country was down 5.9%, according to figures from Footfall, the marketing tracking agency, writes the Times.

On the way to Hatfield Via Southgate and cockfosters it was not busy at all....

And even notices a normal looking lady pulling out from the cockfosters parking lane to join the main road and i noticed how depressed she was looking while driving a new car!....

I was driving arounf the A406 / A1 / A41 area....i was expecting alot more traffic than i encountered...