House Price Crash Forum

Infrared Heating

Guest eight

HOLA441

Anybody got any experience of this (apart from the usual sources, obviously.... ;) ) I need to heat a space that has no gas supply and the hype sounds fantastic; I'm wondering if the reality might be somewhat different?

HOLA442

Anybody got any experience of this (apart from the usual sources, obviously.... ;) ) I need to heat a space that has no gas supply and the hype sounds fantastic; I'm wondering if the reality might be somewhat different?

Erm, yes.

It's the same thing as a grill. Stick your head under the grill for a preview.

Seen in lots of churches in recent years. The cold stones of old were definitely better.

HOLA443

Seen in lots of churches in recent years. The cold stones of old were definitely better.

Hmm, I can see how penance and comfort might make unlikely bedfellows. Are they OK if you don't consider yourself to have committed original sin just by being born?

HOLA444

Hmm, I can see how penance and comfort might make unlikely bedfellows. Are they OK if you don't consider yourself to have committed original sin just by being born?

Not a god-botherer. My exposure to churches comes through concerts: I may be singing or just watching. I can take a cold church, but I absolutely can't take being grilled.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Heat lamps are about 1 micron wavelength (near infrared) (IRA) , like your gran's 'electric fire'.

New fangled 'infrared lamps' are about 3 micron wavelength (far infrared) (IRC), like the subject of OP.

IRC is claimed to be have a better absorption versus IRA, although I haven't personally checked.

It boils down to what you spend energising them, and the application.

All RADIANT heaters require you to stand (line of sight) within their emmittance path, and how much of that energy lands depends on proximity, your choice of clothing, etc.. the rest is basically wasted on furniture and wallpaper.

I very much doubt the efficiency diverges more than a few points, and the purchase price variance is significant.

So, its a neat gadget, but mostly gimmick.

HOLA448

Not a god-botherer. My exposure to churches comes through concerts: I may be singing or just watching. I can take a cold church, but I absolutely can't take being grilled.

Actually now you mention it I think the church associated with my daughter's school has some kind of variant of them, they always have a whip-round before they'll turn them on.

The domestic ones I've seen just look like a white panel. If you're effectively being cooked then that can't be good, can it?

HOLA449

Actually now you mention it I think the church associated with my daughter's school has some kind of variant of them, they always have a whip-round before they'll turn them on.

The domestic ones I've seen just look like a white panel. If you're effectively being cooked then that can't be good, can it?

So long as you have nothing in the path between the heater and what you want to heat. Otherwise, you'll be in the cold.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Depends on what you're heating.

If you're intermittently working in a big leaky garage / shed they can be okay - but it'll be cold out of line-of-sight (like when you're under a car). Just turn it on when you enter and instant heat. However, the fact that your face is boiling while your feet are freezing can grate a bit

But if you're spending some time in the room/building, and it is at least sort of insulated then you might be better off with some sort of warm air heater. An aircon system that does heating as well as cold can work out to be efficient, so long as you use it enough to cover the installation costs. If you're not in there that often but value your comfort when you are in, then a massive fan heater can work out okay.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Cold church-wise the church in my parents village has taken to putting up a large tent inside the church in the winter, since the size of the average congregation is rather smaller than the church can hold. Much cheaper to heat the tent.

Isn't the coldness an integral part of the church experience? Bitter in winter, refreshing in summer, with a reminder of cold in anything short of a heatwave. Heat it and you've lost something.

My third-year room at Cambridge - in a college wing of old stone - was like that (other years' rooms being just ordinarily cold in winter).

HOLA4416

I went to school in an ancient castle and that was fooking freezing in winter. And autumn. And Spring. We were on hol in the summer!

HOLA4417

I went to school in an ancient castle and that was fooking freezing in winter. And autumn. And Spring. We were on hol in the summer!

Harold Potter! :blink:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

You're very posh aren't you. But in your poshness, I did notice an incorrect use of the word 'I' instead of 'me' in a post you did in the last couple of days. ;-)

I didn't bring it up at the time, but I feel obliged now.

Edit: Found the offending sentence. No doubt I'll embarrass myself and find I'm wrong....

"The arrival of children rearranges the entire universe! I suppose the story of Mrs JTB and I is pretty typical."

Edit2: Barnard Castle?

I am mortified by that error.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

My only excuse is that I may have been forming a different sentence and changed tack midway. Or something. I've noticed I do that on forums - resulting in some very inarticulate, let alone ungrammatical, wording.

The me-or-I question is easy; just leave out the other person and see what you need. For example, above; if I was[1] talking about just me rather than the me and Mrs JTB then I would obviously use "me". The fact that Mrs JTB is there makes no difference.

[1] "was" or "were"? I vaguely remember this being to do with the degree of likelihood. For example, "if I was going that way" (ie something feasible) v [2] "if I were to see a flying pig" (ie not probable). I may be wrong on this - it just occurred to me as I typed.

[2] "v" not "vs".

HOLA4422

I have 3 Veito RC 2kw radiant heaters at work. We have two over our desk area and one in the shop. I would waste so much energy trying to heat the warehouse, the roof is so high, and as I had to have fixed heaters I opted for these.

We find them pretty effective and the mild weather this year has made it adequate but for colder snaps a few extra layers would still be required.

HOLA4423

I have 3 Veito RC 2kw radiant heaters at work. We have two over our desk area and one in the shop. I would waste so much energy trying to heat the warehouse, the roof is so high, and as I had to have fixed heaters I opted for these.

We find them pretty effective and the mild weather this year has made it adequate but for colder snaps a few extra layers would still be required.

Thanks for that. If I need any help with my grammar I'll come to you first.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived