House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

The Apple Of My (Fb)I

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35594245

The FBI has asked Apple to do two things.
Firstly, it wants the company to alter Farook's iPhone so that investigators can make unlimited attempts at the passcode without the risk of erasing the data.
Secondly, it wants Apple to help implement a way to rapidly try different passcode combinations, to save tapping in each one manually.

No to that. The very fact that Apple may be forced to do this would make all our Apple products at risk of similar interference. It occurs to me that American court judgement shouldn't be allowed to extend to any other country, if the court finds for the FBI.

I use the fingerprint access on both iPhone (6+) and iPad (2Air). I wish I didn't need a passcode too.

No to that. The very fact that Apple may be forced to do this would make all our Apple products at risk of similar interference. It occurs to me that American court judgement shouldn't be allowed to extend to any other country, if the court finds for the FBI.

I use the fingerprint access on both iPhone (6+) and iPad (2Air). I wish I didn't need a passcode too.

So they have your fingerprint?

Fine, anybody concerned by this don't buy further Apple products or allow OS upgrades to existing ones.

Ditched the iPhone yesterday, for an android phone. However I imagine Google are supremely cosy with the "ALPHABET soup" of spy agencies.

People actually use Apple products?

Neat, good looking, decent functionality. I don't have an iPhone or aspire to having one but I can see why people would.

Fine, anybody concerned by this don't buy further Apple products or allow OS upgrades to existing ones.

I don't think that would make any difference. I get the impression that the FBI want Apple to provide them with a modified version of the OS so that they can install it on the phone in question and use it to get access. It wouldn't be present in all phones: it'd just be a tool that the FBI (and probably their friends all over the world) could use on phones in their possession. Not that that makes it any better...

Isn't there a 'backdoor' built into all systems (or have I watched the film Wargames too many times)?

Also, is Blackberry still secure messaging - I remember the hooha during the London riots when rioters were texting via blackberry the next riot area and the authorities were helpless. Also I remember the yanks wanted the encryption key but Blackberry are Canadian and told them to do one

From Apple's POV, this is excellent PR. You know how they said the phones were secure? Well they are, and the FBI are going through the courts to try and get access. Apple are basically saying "what you are asking for is nearly impossible". If the authorities have to go for a very public court order every time they need to break open a phone, that is fine with me - if Apple roll over at this point, that is fine.

On the other hand, I suspect Google are sharing data by default with anyone who will pay for it.

Andriod vs. Apple? Simple decision - Apple, because the damn thing works. I spent an hour trying to download Whatsapp on my son's phone at the weekend. Cryptic error messages, random failures, just rubbish. Did some research and found long standing caching bugs in google play - worked through these and fixed it. Never needed to do stuff like that with my iPhone.

From Apple's POV, this is excellent PR. You know how they said the phones were secure? Well they are, and the FBI are going through the courts to try and get access. Apple are basically saying "what you are asking for is nearly impossible". If the authorities have to go for a very public court order every time they need to break open a phone, that is fine with me - if Apple roll over at this point, that is fine.

On the other hand, I suspect Google are sharing data by default with anyone who will pay for it.

Andriod vs. Apple? Simple decision - Apple, because the damn thing works. I spent an hour trying to download Whatsapp on my son's phone at the weekend. Cryptic error messages, random failures, just rubbish. Did some research and found long standing caching bugs in google play - worked through these and fixed it. Never needed to do stuff like that with my iPhone.

This.

Apple is wondrous. Like luxuriating in a warm bath or sitting in a german car for the first time after all that other sh1t you put up with for years. Embrace it.

Son's phone is a cheapie Vodafone own brand thing. But the wife's expensive Sony is no better - and based on the fix, this is nothing to do with hardware - it is because the play store gets hung up on its cached data. More play store fixes than you can shake a stick at here:

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-solve-google-play-store-errors

That's what I just got. Not had any problems so far.

Place you at the scene of a crime.

Especially when they use your doctored mobile phone and car sat nav records to corroborate their lies.

But one look at me would persuade any judge and jury of my innocence. ☺️

But one look at me would persuade any judge and jury of my innocence. ☺️

Are you dressed like a pirate?

The one thing I've found with phones is that there is huge variability within each manufacturer. Sony was great ten years ago but went into reverse, Motorola seemed dead in the water but stormed back.

Forget brand loyalty on phones, each manufacturer is only as good as their latest model.

The one thing I've found with phones is that there is huge variability within each manufacturer. Sony was great ten years ago but went into reverse, Motorola seemed dead in the water but stormed back.

Forget brand loyalty on phones, each manufacturer is only as good as their latest model.

I still want a type 300 bakelite one on my desk.