House Price Crash Forum

Which Router (Woodwork) To Buy?

Fully Detached

HOLA441

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I just ordered the Ryobi that ntb linked to - for the money it looks like a great starting tool to see how I get on with it, and it'll be more than good enough for the job I actually want it for at this stage. I decided that going down the combi route was a bit daft when I have yet to see the limitations of a plunge router, and anyway, if I decide to expand, I'll just buy a separate fixed one second hand when a nicely priced one comes up on ebay.

I am routed right up. I have achieved peak man.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
The majority of people I've ever come across, who are big into woodworking, seem to primarily produce wooden storage solutions for woodworking kit.

Hah, very true. I've made some lovely boxes that adorn my shed shelves.

More practical (useful) tasks have been building out house interiors.

HOLA443

Hah, very true. I've made some lovely boxes that adorn my shed shelves.

More practical (useful) tasks have been building out house interiors.

I'm certainly not big into woodworking, but I do quite often have a need to put something together, and after years of bodging things with no more nails and the predictable results, I've started to want to do things properly. I've been quite surprised at the sort of things I can make a nice job of, albeit that any project I get involved with seems to turn out to be industrially robust and not particularly attractive.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Get one with good dust extraction. Hardwood dusts are carcinogenic.

:o WWWHHHHHAAATTTTT! Bloody hell, I've been routing a torus onto hardwood skirting over the last six months.... nobody told me! Hope the face mask was good enough protection.

I bought an Aldi special, branded Workzone, for £25 some time ago. Hasn't missed a beat, and I'm doing a fair bit of DIY in the house. Had to take the router table back, it was crap. I just made one up from an off-cut of kitchen work top, even used the router to make it!

HOLA447

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I just ordered the Ryobi that ntb linked to - for the money it looks like a great starting tool to see how I get on with it, and it'll be more than good enough for the job I actually want it for at this stage. I decided that going down the combi route was a bit daft when I have yet to see the limitations of a plunge router, and anyway, if I decide to expand, I'll just buy a separate fixed one second hand when a nicely priced one comes up on ebay.

I am routed right up. I have achieved peak man.

You've got your chainsaw then????

HOLA448
HOLA449

I did chainsaws all through my 20s. I also drove dumper trucks and diggers.

Beat that.

When in NZ whilst younger - I drove a digger, tractor, helped build a prison , caught a sting ray whilst fishing and took a Korean virgins errr... - well she wasn't a virgin afterwards - both places.

The digger was only a 10 tonner though so a bit gay [no offense to any gay people !!].

Still quite impressive.

HOLA4410

Beat that.

These are manly things, like sheds, and engines. We admire your blokeyness. -_-

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Axminster is great for woodworking but usually beaten on price for hand held power tools. I love going there though and usually end up spending money on things I never realised were essential to life as we know it.

Tell me about it. I love the Japanese restorer's cats paw I bought the last time I went to my local Axminster store

HOLA4422

Funny you should say that about being beaten on price. Just had a look at the Axminster website and the special offers and noticed this vice:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-vices-mechanic-s-multi-purpose-bench-vice-505555

Which is essentially a rip-off - doesn't look to be from the same factory/production line - of this Irwin Record model

http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/irwin-record-multipurpose-vice-5in

It's still most likely made in China but is the genuine article and a tenner cheaper

I've got this vice and although it has terrible online reviews, mainly from idiots trying to use it as a press*, but, I find it great for holding work for drilling, grinding, cutting etc. and if you mount it right at the end of a bench you can swivel it to overhang either side.

*Irwin may have too originally foolishly marketed it as a mechanic's vice.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Don't worry I have plenty of other vices.

Vices were, for quite sometime, one of my major vices.

Yes, 2nd hand is definitely the only way to go if you're going to want to exert serious force on something. Older Record Stilson/pipe wrenches are greatly superior to what can be bought new now too.

HOLA4425

Beat that.

I did chainguns, Scammell Commander tank transporters, 432 APC's and the good old Alvis Stalwart in my twenties :P

They were ba$tards, one and all!

(Alright, the chaingun thing is an exaggeration, but GPMG doesn't tie in so well with 'chainsaw'!)

Archived