House Price Crash Forum

Nassim Taleb Boe Flagship Seminar 18Feb 4.15Pm Link

R K

HOLA441

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/Pages/onebank/seminars/180216.aspx

One Bank Flagship Seminar by Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Tail Risk Measurement Heuristics

The first part of this talk – The Law of Large Numbers in the Real World – presents fat tails, defines them, and shows how the conventional statistics fail to operate in the real world, particularly with econometric variables, for two main reasons: 1) we need a lot, a lot more data for fat tails; and 2) we are going about estimators the wrong way. The second part – Detecting Fragility – presents heuristics to detect fragility in portfolios. Fragility is shown to be ‘anything that is harmed by volatility’. The good news is that while (tail) risk is not measurable, fragility is.

All places for this event have now been allocated.

View the webcast live here from 4:15pm on Thursday 18 February 2016

Join the conversation, use the Twitter Hashtag for this event: #BoETaleb

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It does. Probably helps if youve read Anti-fragile

Link in OP or starts at 1hr 20m or so in here with intro from haldane.

I've only read the black swan so will have to get a copy of anti-fragile. He has always pointed out the problems with normal distributions, so the fat tails and highlighting the poor understanding of stats was along these same lines. Was an interesting lecture nevertheless.

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4415

I've only read the black swan so will have to get a copy of anti-fragile. He has always pointed out the problems with normal distributions, so the fat tails and highlighting the poor understanding of stats was along these same lines. Was an interesting lecture nevertheless.

I can recommend it. My favourite. Same themes with more mathematical underpinnings and wider application and pulled the whole thing together for me