House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichM

W A T C H Demolition, Channel 4, N O W!

quality.. a big housing bear here..

but I have bought the missus grand designs on DVD for christmas..

I love the fact that our new homes are the smallest in europe..

and essentially crappy..

Trust me...

I live in Devon.

There is no shortage at all of land.. at all..

Infact.. take a look ay Google Earth.. the whole UK is a big field

Trust me...

I live in Devon.

There is no shortage at all of land.. at all..

Infact.. take a look ay Google Earth.. the whole UK is a big field

Exactly, I'm totally with you on that.

Except we can't possibly let the plebes have adequate space.

Now can we, old chap.

Damn right..

One poor dear in that "keep britain green" or whatever they are called was campaigning against new builds blighting the landscape..

She had three homes herself..

don't want those pesky young people to have homes do we...?

They're slagging off new builds! It's all brilliant! Even Janet Street-Porter is hitting the mark! Go girl!

"The smallest homes in Europe"

Maybe the new "executive" flats (e.g. Docklands in London) will be featured in a Demolition type of program in 2040. It made me think about how crazy things are right now.

Have you seen that poor old lady saying that just after she moved in all the shops closed and what was supposed to be a community heaven turned into a concrete nightmare? She bought for 27K 20+ years ago and now those flats are valued at 24K (with over 2K a year service fees...)

BTLs in new build executive flats should start to feel nervous. C4 moves from property ladder to demolition. Even the media is leaving the property wagon...

W A T C H Demolition, Channel 4, N O W!, Absolute gem

The best programme I have seen on terrestrial TV for a very long time. That Kevin McCloud, he even once suggested abolishing the UK's unwieldy, archaic, dysfunctional, Soviet-style planning system in one of the broadsheets! Whatever next! :lol:

I bet Im the only one who is for the preservation of the Green belt :-)

I would love to see the green belt preserved..

But take a look at google earth.. you will see that the green belt is more of a massive green blanket.. with the built on areas only small specks..

Perhaps people in cities might think its all a bit concreate..

but not us country folk..

Drive from Devon up the a30 to the a303 onto the m3.. up to the m25..

fields.. pretty much as far as the eye can see..

all the way..

the green belt is not small amounts of space between the towns.. its the vast amount of space between the towns..

Edited by apom

This pathfinder project of 2 jags makes my blood boil, yes we realise that demolition = construction = continued jobs in an industry that is second only to retail in this country. What is never mentioned is, like it or not, these two bed terraces are a major component of the country`s heritage and devisively it is dismissed as somewhat irrelevant. So much slum housing had to go in the 60`s as it was appalling, bar none every old terrace I have been in has been built well. <_<

Edited by Converted Lurker

My ex came from farming stock in mid-Wales and, whilst I never fully understood what was going on, there were some pretty, IMPO, 'interesting' deals going on all the time with the sale and purchase of land, building on land, etc. All the farmers, landowners claimed to not have two pennies to rub together but, well, I wish I had a top of the range range rover like many of them have. I got the distinct impression that the land has a 'them and us' mentality when it comes to those who farm/own land and the rest of us.

Guest STR2004

I watched this program earlier and was on my way to post all about it here (but someone beat me to it). I think Kevin McCloud should be added to the list of HPC Heroes. At last someone speaking common sense about the 'total crap' that's being built today.

I loved this program.

STR

A very interesting series

Its easy to feel sorry for the lady living on the seventh floor of the flats where the lifts don't work.

I reckon this is only the tip of the iceberg for many high living city dwellers.

What was annoying was the opinions of the architects of these monstrosities.

I very much doubt they would wish to live there.

Just digressing a little. whats wrong with Northampton Bus station, the waiting area is warm a cosy which can't be said for Preston bus station.

I watched this program earlier and was on my way to post all about it here (but someone beat me to it). I think Kevin McCloud should be added to the list of HPC Heroes. At last someone speaking common sense about the 'total crap' that's being built today.

I loved this program.

STR

aye, and sticking up for the good old-fashioned terrace. They sure don't make em like they used to!

Sensational stuff.

10% off the value of newbuilds overnight?

Why not? Anymore of these programmes slagging off newbuilds and prospective buyers will be looking for discounts to reflect these houses'general naffness. Mainstream programms like this will raise public awareness. Clearly the owners highlighted in the programme were not aware.

Sheeple beware! You've been warned.

Sorry, had to pop off. Missed the second half.

The landowners really piss me off. Fact is, once upon a time most people did live on the land, most of our ancestors I would have thought.

It really is a disgrace. I hope this show kicks off more action. I hope they keep making more shows like this until something gets done.

It was great seeing those tower blocks demolished :)

aye, and sticking up for the good old-fashioned terrace. They sure don't make em like they used to!

Not half

A very interesting series

Its easy to feel sorry for the lady living on the seventh floor of the flats where the lifts don't work.

I reckon this is only the tip of the iceberg for many high living city dwellers.

What was annoying was the opinions of the architects of these monstrosities.

I very much doubt they would wish to live there.

Wonder how many of the modern executive flats will end-up like that. Let's face it flats don't really work in the UK and all they're doing is creating the slums of the 2nd half of the 21st century.

The landowners really piss me off. Fact is, once upon a time most people did live on the land, most of our ancestors I would have thought.

It really is a disgrace. I hope this show kicks off more action. I hope they keep making more shows like this until something gets done.

It was great seeing those tower blocks demolished :)

Not half

I cant understand it. We cleared the countryside of people at the start of the industrial revolution, for wool and meat. We now have no reason to live walking distance from the factory and the countryside doesnt produce wool anymore, so WTF are we still living in towns for? The history of Britain is homesteading. Why can we not go back to that?

We now have no reason to live walking distance from the factory and the countryside doesnt produce wool anymore, so WTF are we still living in towns for?

Erm, do you ever moan about traffic?

We now commute longer and longer distances, much of which due to counter-urbanisation as you are suggesting above. Get real, the idea of living in the country en masse and travelling to work is the most unsustainable idea outside of this housing bubble!

Wonder how many of the modern executive flats will end-up like that. Let's face it flats don't really work in the UK and all they're doing is creating the slums of the 2nd half of the 21st century.

But they've got fantastic kitchens with built-in appliances, and hand made tiles in the en-suites... (does anybody get taken in by this stuff?)

Erm, do you ever moan about traffic?

We now commute longer and longer distances, much of which due to counter-urbanisation as you are suggesting above. Get real, the idea of living in the country en masse and travelling to work is the most unsustainable idea outside of this housing bubble!

I dispute you view of counter-urbanisation ( I like the terminology though ), all the new builds are rubbish 'townhouses' and flats in cr@p suburbs or 'up and coming' areas, which is a byword for stabsville. Following your theory of counter-urbanisation, where are the modern villages, with the except of Poundsbury? All I see is the expansion of towns through the building of edge of town slum estates ( sorry executive apartments ), as demonstrated on last nights program, which was excellent by the way.