House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phone And Tablet Or Phablet

I have a smart phone which is a budget priced high spec model. Nice piece of kit but God awful customer service.

I use it 90% for internet, 9% for texts, 1% make or recieve phone calls.

I should probably get a tablet for internet, and a £10 payg phone. But it's so nice having the next internet in my pocket! (As opposed to a case in my rucksack which a tablet would be). Plus carrying two devices feels olden times

Options?

I have a Nexus tablet and a Nexus smartphone.

Rarely use the tablet unless I am away on holiday and only then for reading viewing video's.

Smartphone caters for all my internet access needs when I am on the move. When I am indoors I used the desktop pc..

Think carefully if you would get the use from a tablet.... Your smartphone covers all bases....

I have a Nexus tablet and a Nexus smartphone.

Rarely use the tablet unless I am away on holiday and only then for reading viewing video's.

Smartphone caters for all my internet access needs when I am on the move. When I am indoors I used the desktop pc..

Think carefully if you would get the use from a tablet.... Your smartphone covers all bases....

Yeah... I have a OnePlus Two... Lovely phone for the money but 8 weeks of tweets and live chats have still not provided a new charger after original died after 2 months. Worries me that if the phone dies I'm up shit creek.

I have a relatively small smartphone (Galaxy S4 Mini, 108mm screen diagonal) because that's about as large as will fit into the pockets of my fleece jacket. How do people with big phones carry them without resorting to a bag?

I have a relatively small smartphone (Galaxy S4 Mini, 108mm screen diagonal) because that's about as large as will fit into the pockets of my fleece jacket. How do people with big phones carry them without resorting to a bag?

Presumably they wear things with bigger pockets.

They are poachers, with big pockets for pheasants!

Either women who have decent sized handbags or blokes carrying a shoulder bag, or just carrying them in their own case from what I have seen.

It all looks rather inconvenient.

Yeah... I have a OnePlus Two... Lovely phone for the money but 8 weeks of tweets and live chats have still not provided a new charger after original died after 2 months. Worries me that if the phone dies I'm up shit creek.

<£3 for a charging cradle on the flea bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB3-1-Type-C-Charging-Cradle-Stand-Charger-Dock-For-OnePlus-Two-2-Smartphone-BH-/311508861509?hash=item4887600245:g:-OUAAOSwZ1lWd8sJ

In the unlikely event the phone goes down (within a year) you would be covered by the usual warranty and the sale of goods act if they got shitty about it..... Have had half a dozen smartphones over the years and cannot recall any of them malfunctioning.

I would put it down to experience and just buy another charger for a couple of quid and move on with your life. Has to be cheaper than a new tablet anyway...

5 Inch screens are fine and fit in all my trouser/jacket pockets...... I spent 6 weeks abroad over the last 3 Months and this nexus phone was perfectly adequate for picking up emails and the odd bit of faceache, web browsing ect.

Doubles as a bloody good camera as well which it auto uploads photo's to the cloud storage when in range of a free wifi signal.... Only thing it is not very good for is querying/adjusting excel spreadsheets which I have to do as part of my job. I usually carry a small travel laptop PC to carry out that function. Onedrive is a very useful tool in this regard keeping everything synced.

I'm quite a big bloke so I carry a whole 19 inch server rack with me, and a portable Honda generator, and use Skype.

Actually that was a lie. I only have a cheapy smartphone. :blink: My pockets are not big enough for a "phablet". Actually I reckon they will phail. Neither one phing nor the nother. :blink:

The reason that firms are moving towards phablets is because more and more people simply want one device. In places like China people can only afford one device so a phablet makes a lot of sense.

I love my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - only £125 plus about £2 to unlock it to any network. A friend recently paid out about £600 for the Galaxy Edge Plus and I can honestly say that I think my screen looks better plus I basically have pure android.

So paying out under £130 for a good phone seems a sensible option. It will help you decide if one device is enough for you. If you do not like it you could always sell it on ebay for £100.

My smart Android phone was acquired a year ago. I have made one call on it. :unsure:

I've been using a Lenovo K900 for the last two years, dunno what the screen size is (bigger than my old Samsung S2) but I hardly ever use the family 7" tablet these days. The larger screen is great for my 51 year old eyes :)

YES I have large TV and small phone! I have no use for a phablet!

Maybe it's because I'm old, but I hate dinking around on tiny phones and squinting at tiny images.

I bought an Asus Phonepad for just this reason. I use it 50% for calls, 50% for checking mail, news, maps and so on travelling. 100% for calls at home. Still don't do a lot of data entry, but at least it's possible. Don't have a phone at all.

Was never a tablet fan either. I used to carry a 10" netbook around, but the 7"phonepad is fine. Since I always carry a camera, I have a fairly big manbag anyway.

(Yes, I know smartphones have 'cameras' in theory . . .)

I've never owned a proper tablet, but do have an iPhone 6+

I can actually do everything on the 6 plus that i could on Tablet, plus it is easier to carry. I did get the 128GB model mind you, not cheap, but cheaper than phone + tablet.

That said, I do also lug around a Lenovo Think Pad or MacBook air depending on need.

Xperia Z2. Ticks the boxes. Also got a Linx10" Windows Tablet. Not used very much but its good for Kodi. Better than my desktop for some odd reason. It's the only device I will ever own with Win10 on it.

I've never owned a proper tablet, but do have an iPhone 6+

I can actually do everything on the 6 plus that i could on Tablet, plus it is easier to carry. I did get the 128GB model mind you, not cheap, but cheaper than phone + tablet.

That said, I do also lug around a Lenovo Think Pad or MacBook air depending on need.

I've actually hardly used my iPad since buying a 6+ went for the 128Gb as well. Think you have also correctly noted that the natural second piece of kit after that is a good quality laptop.(although I wouldn't mind a Surface 3 Pro mmmm...).

Had a samsung note 2 for well over two years now, the first range of phablet sized phones. Has been great and performed the task of a phone and decent speed tablet really well, in fact more responsive than a dedicated samsung tablet. So good not even thought about upgrading or comparing features with newer versions or other phones.

I've badly cracked the screen on my 6+ presumably through flexing and it was even in one of those metal gorilla glass tough cases that screw together.

Had the Surface Pro 3 lot's of productivity upsides and the docking station is good but not as good a tablet as an ipad and a bit unwieldy and no built in 4G modem, on the Pro range, is a big downside. Have also got the Surface 3 which is more of an ipad size and the only Surface product with built in 4G and GPS, could be a great product but, so-so battery life and charging issues handicap it badly.

Original ipad with built in 3G and GPS is still the best mobile internet browser there's been from my experience.

I have a smart phone which is a budget priced high spec model. Nice piece of kit but God awful customer service.

I use it 90% for internet, 9% for texts, 1% make or recieve phone calls.

I should probably get a tablet for internet, and a £10 payg phone. But it's so nice having the next internet in my pocket! (As opposed to a case in my rucksack which a tablet would be). Plus carrying two devices feels olden times

Options?

Yes....be sure to turn off the phone data......£10 lasts months. ;)

The iphone 6s seem a tad too fragile - soft metal that easily dents, protruding lens on the main camera that is prone to cracking if you place the phone down too hard on a surface, cracking screens from flexing of the case. Any more?

Makes you wonder why it was so designed? :rolleyes:

The iphone 6s seem a tad too fragile - soft metal that easily dents, protruding lens on the main camera that is prone to cracking if you place the phone down too hard on a surface, cracking screens from flexing of the case. Any more?

Makes you wonder why it was so designed? :rolleyes:

It's probably not a battlefield phone, but using a case and being careful will solve that for most people.

<£3 for a charging cradle on the flea bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB3-1-Type-C-Charging-Cradle-Stand-Charger-Dock-For-OnePlus-Two-2-Smartphone-BH-/311508861509?hash=item4887600245:g:-OUAAOSwZ1lWd8sJ

In the unlikely event the phone goes down (within a year) you would be covered by the usual warranty and the sale of goods act if they got shitty about it..... Have had half a dozen smartphones over the years and cannot recall any of them malfunctioning.

I would put it down to experience and just buy another charger for a couple of quid and move on with your life. Has to be cheaper than a new tablet anyway...

I've already replaced the charger, but my concern is the poor service (and the fact they are a chinese company sending out goods from china, trying to enforce sale of goods act would be very tricky. Apple, I hate to say, have always been first class with servce... but I can I seriously spend £600 (rather than £300) on a phone .... gaaahhhh, probably not :)

Just recently got a "Vodafone Smart Ultra 6"

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-1298105/review

With a 5.5-inch Full HD screen, 3000mAh battery, Snapdragon 615 processor and 13MP rear-facing camera, the device has formidable specifications. For £125 on Pay As You Go (locked to Vodafone), it presents itself as something of a game-changer

It's pretty amazing for the money. It is a bit cheap and flimsy looking/feeling but as soon as it's in its case with only the screen exposed that goes away. Plenty of memory with a 64Gb SD card inserted and the screen is perfectly good for watching TV/Films on. Should have retired my crappy iPhone 4 sooner.