House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

London Property 'dirty Money': How Kazakh Secret Police And Bent Nigerian Politicians Play The System

I have tried to search this forum to see if this has been posted before - can't see anything - forgive me if it has.

It does say a great deal about the sordid, fraudulent, and deeply corrupt underbelly of the London [& UK] pwoperty "market" though...

London property 'dirty money': How Kazakh secret police and bent Nigerian politicians play the system

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/london-property-dirty-money-how-kazakh-secret-police-bent-nigerian-politicians-play-system-1512982

One of the most high-profile recent cases of property money laundering involved former Kazakh secret police chief Rakhat Aliyev, who had built up a £147m ($229m) London property empire.

Aliyev, accused of murder, torture and money laundering, was found dead in an Austrian prison in February 2015 while awaiting trial for the murder of two bankers in his home country.

However, before his demise, he was allowed to build up a prime property empire that included the Elvis and Beatles' stores and 221 Baker Street, synonymous with fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.

Hiding behind offshore companies registered in secrecy jurisdictions, such as the British Virgin Islands, and behind "nominee" directors, Aliyev and others are able to buy up property without any checks. The true source of their finance is lost in the byzantine structures of the offshore companies.

Edited by eric pebble

OK then - here's another report re: Corruption in London property - this one from the Daily Wail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2978719/How-London-safe-haven-money-laundering-Thousands-homes-bought-capital-anonymously-offshore-companies-hide-corrupt-money.html

How London is 'safe haven' for money laundering: Thousands of homes are being bought in capital anonymously by offshore companies to hide corrupt money

Around 36,000 London properties are thought to be owned by hidden firms

Transparency International say the firms are registered in offshore havens

The charity fears many properties are being used to stash corrupt money

One in ten properties in Westminster are owned by offshore companies

Charity urges government to make sure UK doesn't become a destination for 'global corruption'

this is precisely why the uk has not yet collapsed despite having an abysmal official set of books. It's the unofficial set of books that are keeping the ponzi going. imo

Our government will take any cash they can get. They're not bothered where it comes from. Corrupt dictators and foreign powers are welcome to buy our public services to extract a profit from us and our property is up for grabs to anyone with a suitcase of cash, so they can leave it empty while we fight over what's left over.

When I was young I thought the government of your country was meant to provide the people who lived here with the highest standard of living possible, so they could enjoy their lives. Now I know they're there to make as much money as possible for their powerful friends and farm the people out to get screwed over.

When I was young I thought the government of your country was meant to provide the people who lived here with the highest standard of living possible, so they could enjoy their lives. Now I know they're there to make as much money as possible for their powerful friends and farm the people out to get screwed over.

Yup --- the 1970s were a strange mixture of dire brownness - - brown flairs, brown clothes, brown vinyl rooves on brown Leyland Allegros.... And a kind of INNOCENCE..... Yes INNOCENCE. When I look at 1970s tv [see youtube] -- it is so INNOCENT and touching and sweet!!!! Type in 70s tv - take a look. It is pure nostalgia === and a really simple vibe to those times... :rolleyes: