House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Top Gear - The Magnificent Seven

Joking aside, there's too many presenters. It's like a movie where you have too many characters in it and you end up not caring about any of them.

Political correctness gone crazy.

Were they allowed to have just 3 white, middle-aged men again, or was someone behind the scenes dictating the exact make-up of the group (ticking boxes on the racial/sex chart)?

Sabine has featured a few times previously, and was a regular presenter for the German version. She came across very well as a bit part on visits to the Nurburgring.

Agreed. She'd be a good presenter... the others won't.

Not watching TG again unless it's on Dave.

Chris Harris has created some of the finest automotive videos I have ever watched, look on YouTube for his singer 911 video or the lancia rally car tyre test day, both stunning.

I'm not sure how he will fit in if there is tomfoolery, but I presume that will be left to Leblanc and Jordan.

They're throwing the kitchen sink at it to prove that Top-Gear is bigger than Clarkson.

Political correctness gone crazy.

Were they allowed to have just 3 white, middle-aged men again, or was someone behind the scenes dictating the exact make-up of the group (ticking boxes on the racial/sex chart)?

Pretty much my first thoughts.

Feels fake and contrived.. So it will probably be a massive success.

Sounds like they're recreating the late 80s version which was a complete hotchpotch, I read one piece by Alexei Sayle saying something like "You could tell how low the show had sunk because it had me as a regular guest presenter!"

Funny guy IMHO.

So what do we have...

Editor of recombu and former host of a gadget show on Sky

German motoring show host who has appeared several times on TG (and managed to drive a transit van around Nurburgring in just over 10min)

Petrol head and fastest ever star in a reasonably priced car

Chris Evans

British motoring vlogger

Former F1 team boss

The Stig

Some of the responses I've seen to this announcement made me think of this meme

e98d1aa135e1b11062a3063c86685cf5.jpg

Meanwhile I'll do the grown-up thing and watch the show to see if they are any good...

Back to the 80s when it was presented by a real mixed crew. It was a decent enough "let's review the latest Ford Fiesta" type show, but nothing special. With this line up they'll be going head to head with Fifth Gear, not whatever Clarkson's new show is going to be called.

Given the BBC's track record with the Foreign top gears I would say this will be much, much worse. But I'll do the intelligent thing and let Olde Guto waste an hour of his life watching it and reporting back about how crap it is.

Sabine has featured a few times previously, and was a regular presenter for the German version. She came across very well as a bit part on visits to the Nurburgring.

Yes I always quite liked her, especially when she was driving the van around Nurburgring.

Given the BBC's track record with the Foreign top gears I would say this will be much, much worse. But I'll do the intelligent thing and let Olde Guto waste an hour of his life watching it and reporting back about how crap it is.

US Top Gear is pretty good too, if you like the format.

US Top Gear is pretty good too, if you like the format.

I have watched it. Maybe the mistake is trying to imitate the three blokes formula. Although it has long been a meme since Three Men in a Boat.

Will 6 men and a burd in a boat work?

I have watched it. Maybe the mistake is trying to imitate the three blokes formula. Although it has long been a meme since Three Men in a Boat.

Will 6 men and a burd in a boat work?

Ive seen websites that seem to think its an excellent way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Ive seen websites that seem to think its an excellent way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Best to take a bilge pump along though.