House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

An I Being B##sh###d By A Letting Agent?

I am seeking a new rental and have identified a house. I have an income and will be paying the rent, my wife does not. I understand that could put me on the tenancy agreement with my wife as an additional named tenant.

However the letting agency says that irrespective of my wife not being responsible for the contract or indeed on the contract for payment purposes, they still need to charge the same £150 per person credit referencing fee for each of us. Is this nonsense?

Of course.

But it comes down to do you want to rent from them or not? Made up fees to give them your money because they can and nothing stops them. they're *****.

At least your darling tories didn't filibuster out of parliament a beneficial change to rental fees in England and Wales.

At least your darling tories didn't filibuster out of parliament a beneficial change to rental fees in England and Wales.

Indeed

Indeed

Happened to me last time I did a contract, although the time before I didn't have to. There was just a smaller admin charge (£30?) because she did need naming on the contract as a cohabitee.

Happened to me last time I did a contract, although the time before I didn't have to. There was just a smaller admin charge (£30?) because she did need naming on the contract as a cohabitee.

So despite their subscription to the property ombudsman service, they can charge whatever they like?

(Their fees schedule lists 1 single applicant £150. 2. Joint applicant £300. 3. each additional occupier £60 - but they say that last one doesn't count when discussing over the phone)

Edited by Si1

I am seeking a new rental and have identified a house. I have an income and will be paying the rent, my wife does not. I understand that could put me on the tenancy agreement with my wife as an additional named tenant.

However the letting agency says that irrespective of my wife not being responsible for the contract or indeed on the contract for payment purposes, they still need to charge the same £150 per person credit referencing fee for each of us. Is this nonsense?

Of course it is nonsense.

Let's say that they do credit check your wife and she comes back as a bankrupt; so what? They are not going to stop you renting the property so why bother checking her in the first place. The only justification could be if she was to be jointly liable. If you were both jointly and severably liable there is no justification either as they can always come after you regardless as to whether you abandoned her and the property.

I'd either look elsewhere and complain to the Ombudsman. It is likely to cost them a referral fee. Ombudsman schemes need to be funded somehow and it's the members of the scheme who pick up the tab. Failing that simply refuse to submit your wifes details and threaten to report them to the Ombudsman if they refuse to process your application.

Sounds like bolloxs to me but I have no idea how you could get around it? Maybe tell them that you have broken up with the wife and will be renting it by yourself? Then just move in with her and tell them you have made up! Then be will willing to pay the additional occupier fee. Once, you are in the place, I don't think they can really do much.

It's whatever they want it to be. They can charge you whatever they like. It doesn't mean that they will ever carry out a credit check or both of them. It's a fee that they are charging you to let you move into your new home.

They are supposed to be upfront and honest about fees but my personal experience is that this rarely happens.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/letting_agent_fees_and_charges

"

• More

Complaints about letting agents

Your options for complaining if you are not happy with the conduct of a letting agent you have used to find a private rented home.

Complain to the letting agent

Your first step should always be to raise the issue with your letting agent directly.

Most letting agents and estate agents have a complaints procedure you can follow. Look on the agent's website or ask their office for details.They must tell you about their complaints procedure if you ask.

Set your case out clearly in writing and provide details of times and dates where relevant. Send a written complaint if the letting agent doesn't appear to have a complaints procedure.

The letting agent may investigate, ask questions, ask you to send copies of documents and inspect your home. The letting agent should write to you to tell you the result of their investigation.

Find out more about how to make a complaint.

Complain to a letting agency redress scheme

Since October 2014, all letting agents have to be members of a letting agency redress scheme.

These schemes can help you with a range of disputes about how a letting agency has behaved. They can't help you resolve a dispute about the amount of fees or charges made.

You can complain after your letting agent has made a final decision on your complaint or after 8 weeks, whichever happens first.

Use our Letting agent dispute tool to make your complaint.

We rented from a small local agent, and it was a much nicer process. I was in the same position, where I was taking sole responsibility for the rent. The fees were a lot lower than yours and I was ready to pay search fees for both of us because I thought we had to, and they actively encouraged me not to involve my partner in the application to avoid the fee.

Renting from Countrywide was a different proposition. £150 to print out my contract again each year, £60 to photocopy our keys on collection... it came to something like £500 in fees, searches etc. Extorting scum, I'm amazed people actually rent through them.

Well it's progressing more smoothly now

hit another snag - my OLD letting agent won't provide me a reference until after I've handed my notice in!

So what happens if the new landlord rejects this (shouldn't do, we're good tennants who've always paid the rent) - I'm homeless with 2 small children then?

Is this legal from my old letting agent?

Well it's progressing more smoothly now

hit another snag - my OLD letting agent won't provide me a reference until after I've handed my notice in!

So what happens if the new landlord rejects this (shouldn't do, we're good tennants who've always paid the rent) - I'm homeless with 2 small children then?

Is this legal from my old letting agent?

Legal, i presume so as there's nothing to say they have to give you a reference.

But i cant believe that the paying customer is the one expected to give a reference! its ridiculous