House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Dyslexia, Starbucks, Lawyers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35521061

Now putting aside whether dyslexia exists, the case against the person is that she should not have been doing any job that involves following written instructions and recording data.

The comment:

'"Many dyslexics are struggling in the work place with very high levels of anxiety, because employers do not have the training or the awareness to make adjustments for them."'

Other than shoving a broom or hitting stuff with a hammer there are very few jobs that do not involve a signifcant volume of written instructions and paperwork.

Of course it exists but on the face of there could be more to this story.

There isn't enough detail in the article to really have aby idea what happened. Did she declare her condition on her application? Did she tell her manager she would have difficulty taking fridge temperatures? Did her recording of the temperatures follow a particular pattern?

There isn't enough detail in the article to really have aby idea what happened. Did she declare her condition on her application? Did she tell her manager she would have difficulty taking fridge temperatures? Did her recording of the temperatures follow a particular pattern?

Did she communicate that she could not read + write?

In the old days, before everyone got GCSE equivalents, companies used to ask for people to 'apply in writing' purely so work out if the person could read + write.

"She took Starbucks to an employment tribunal alleging disability discrimination saying she had always made it known to her employer that she was dyslexic..."

No human is perfect.......there are growing numbers of people with issues in our stressful, dog eat dog materialistic, keeping up with the joneses, judging and competitive world we live in nowadays......nothing wrong with being dyslexic, better than being a lying greedy thief....... ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35521061

Now putting aside whether dyslexia exists, the case against the person is that she should not have been doing any job that involves following written instructions and recording data.

The comment:

'"Many dyslexics are struggling in the work place with very high levels of anxiety, because employers do not have the training or the awareness to make adjustments for them."'

Other than shoving a broom or hitting stuff with a hammer there are very few jobs that do not involve a signifcant volume of written instructions and paperwork.

I'm broadly sympathetic to people with dyslexia (I believe the condition exists, but I'm also convinced that only a relatively small % of people with dyslexia actually have the condition - as you say, many people just aren't good at the literate side of things), but this case does no-one any favours.

The trouble with this sort of thing is that is trivialises the really hard world that people with disabilities face - I want employers who don't take their responsibilities re. disabled workers seriously to be appropriately reprimanded (including those who don't employ on the basis of the disability), but this is all a bit meh.

So if you're looking for staff who need to write such numbers down what can you do to make sure you employ someone who can?

Do you give them a test and then don't interview the ones who fail?

So if you're looking for staff who need to write such numbers down what can you do to make sure you employ someone who can?

Do you give them a test and then don't interview the ones who fail?

See my 'apply in writing' anecdote.

Then monitor their work closely within the timeframe whilst you can dismiss them without reason.

By the sound of the complaint, I would guess that the woman was a mixture of illiterate and incompetent.

Whether this was down to her being dyslexic, or even if she has been diagnosed as dyslexic is another thing.

A lot of people have "disabilites". I for instance, am very rude, so I am not a diplomat. A colleague is terrible with words, but he can sort out software. Some people are not musical, and others can't do DIY. It is the world we live in.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?itemno=20285

Dyslexia probably exists in the same way my dysballsia exists that stopped me playing for Newcastle U *

You are not disabled becasue you are cr.p at something

* - I reckon I might have been a shoo-in this season mind.

I think you'll find that's called:

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/about-dyspraxia/

If only I was at school now, I'd have a reason for being crap at sports!!

The Beeb interviewed the lady herself. What kind of provision could the employer have made? Answer: another person to watch what she was doing. Remaining unsaid: why not just have that other person do the bloomin' job and give her duties that don't require reading and writing?

Wasn't it something about checking equipment, with things like operating temperatures? In a food business, I'd imagine that might be connected to some serious food safety rules, and getting them wrong would be big trouble.

The Beeb interviewed the lady herself. What kind of provision could the employer have made? Answer: another person to watch what she was doing. Remaining unsaid: why not just have that other person do the bloomin' job and give her duties that don't require reading and writing?

Wasn't it something about checking equipment, with things like operating temperatures? In a food business, I'd imagine that might be connected to some serious food safety rules, and getting them wrong would be big trouble.

What happens when the supervisor has a disability? Let's say they're partially sighted. They'll need an observer to relate the actions of the food temperature operative. What if the observer has a disability, maybe a speech impediment...?

What happens when the supervisor has a disability? Let's say they're partially sighted. They'll need an observer to relate the actions of the food temperature operative. What if the observer has a disability, maybe a speech impediment...?

qui custodiet ipsos custodes

Guest eight

What happens when the supervisor has a disability? Let's say they're partially sighted.

Remember when David Blunkett said he could see no upper limit to immigration?

Guest eight

Every food business I've ever worked in fakes the fridge temperatures for the past week when somebody remembers to do it, or when the health inspector walks in.... Always diligently creating a .1 degree difference here and there, of course. These aren't bad businesses and it doesn't mean you're at any risk eating in any of them, ironically it's often because people are too knackered after cleaning up at the end of a shift to bother with box ticking exercises.

I don't really know anything about dyslexia, but it seems like a useful word, meaning "can't spell (and struggles to read) but otherwise of normal intelligence" which is bit of amouthful to have to keep repeating.

Other words that some people don't like but I find perfectly useful as saving on further explanation

ADHD

Burnout

Expat

I was diagnosed as dyslexic at school, but am now an editor at a publishing house. I think it's just another area where lack of aptitude is pathologised.

You used spellchecker on that - didn't you ?

:D:D

Does anybody know if dyslexia occurs in the languages that are phonetically spelled (spelt?)

Or is it quirky English spelling?
Cannot say I have heard of anyone having trouble reading Welsh.