House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinker

New X Files

Thought it was quite decent actually, liked the reverse psychology/screwing with Mulder's mind aspect of it. I especially liked the Alien Replica Vehicle (ARV), that bit was cool. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

They could have done with updating the title sequence as that is quite dated now.

Quite enjoyed it. Titles agree; must have felt need to anchor it in its past (arc recap). Lots of twists and character tension.

Roswell crashed craft had 'jet' engine.

They could have done with updating the title sequence as that is quite dated now.

No! They would never have dared to do this. There would have been an uproar and possibly death threats.

What channel was this aired on - downloads are up to episode 4 already so I assume regional lag?

Channel 5 has it - Mondays 9pm. Followed by Gotham, which has been very good.

Channel 5 has it - Mondays 9pm. Followed by Gotham, which has been very good.

Cheers, will stick with the ad free downloads :) (and probably never watch them!)

I was surprised at how harsh the Newspaper critics have been towards this new X Files series. Me personally, I feel the first episode was quite good with the only flaw being the pacing in parts. I blame the fast and poor pacing of some parts on the fact that the series is restrained to only 6 episodes where as in the past the seasons were 25 episodes or so giving plenty of time to flesh out events and relationships.

The first episode seemed to suffer from having to appeal to diehard fans who know everything about the show... and explaining what 'The X-Files' are and who the characters are to a younger generation of viewer who have never seen it.

Great to see the show back. If it's any good.. the original is, I think, the best TV series ever made.

The opening episode - yes, the titles did seem a bit retro. Indeed more than that they weren't the most recent titles since they changed when Robert Patrick took over in the lead role.

Mulder's reprise speech which ran roughly along the lines of "Everything up until now may have been false, but this is the big one" was clichéd, a speech we'd heard so many times before, and sounding a little tired now, but works well enough to set out the basics of the plot and their coming together again.

I giggled when I read that Duchovny's voice "bears the hallmarks of many breakfasts consisting of a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Bourbon", oddly, though, Anderson actually looks different. Not older as such, but like someone else. Like her face has been tucked back by someone fixing a large bulldog clip to the back of her head giving her a look not dissimilar to "The Scream" at times.

Still, she's my all time favourite actress, and her performance in the original series, not taking anything from his, was magnificent.

Was bound to start a little slowly, lets see where it goes.

I giggled when I read that Duchovny's voice "bears the hallmarks of many breakfasts consisting of a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Bourbon", oddly, though, Anderson actually looks different. Not older as such, but like someone else. Like her face has been tucked back by someone fixing a large bulldog clip to the back of her head giving her a look not dissimilar to "The Scream" at times.

Still, she's my all time favourite actress, and her performance in the original series, not taking anything from his, was magnificent.

There was a scene where she was sat on a sofa listening to Mulder and she reminded me of Eric Stoltz's playing Roy L. Dennis in the film 'Mask'.

Her face seemed very elongated and her forehead pronounced. Saying that I find her very bonkable looking.

zjApkXMw4sdl.jpg

Mulder's reprise speech which ran roughly along the lines of "Everything up until now may have been false, but this is the big one" was clichéd, a speech we'd heard so many times before, and sounding a little tired now, but works well enough to set out the basics of the plot and their coming together again.

I think that was because in the original series they drove as fast as they could up a dead-end. The whole people catching fire, the bees and aliens who may or may not have been... what? Well, it all became a confused mess towards the end of the series. They begun digging a hole for themselves and carried on doing it for a couple of series at least.

They simply got away from the simple concept that had existed early on in the series - about a multi decade long cover-up of alien visitations to Earth - as they seemed to think that a conspirarcy to hide the truth about aliens was not sufficient - it was - and they just lost the audience. They tried to outdo all the X-File clone TV series that cropped up I suspect.

The two films - one with the bees and that truly awful paedo film - were appallingly bad IMPO.

So I think the speech was a nod to all of this - basically saying "OK, we got it wrong and we are going to go back to basics.". If they had not done this then they would be stuck in the same dead-end with the same nonsense about bees, people catching fire, etc.

225707-gillian-anderson-dana-scully.jpg

GettyImages-504740522.jpg

I wouldn't have said that was the same woman.

Ironically Gillian almost missed out on the original part due to not being thought "pretty enough". Which seems insane looking at that top photo of her.

I think that was because in the original series they drove as fast as they could up a dead-end. The whole people catching fire, the bees and aliens who may or may not have been... what? Well, it all became a confused mess towards the end of the series. They begun digging a hole for themselves and carried on doing it for a couple of series at least.

They simply got away from the simple concept that had existed early on in the series - about a multi decade long cover-up of alien visitations to Earth - as they seemed to think that a conspirarcy to hide the truth about aliens was not sufficient - it was - and they just lost the audience. They tried to outdo all the X-File clone TV series that cropped up I suspect.

The two films - one with the bees and that truly awful paedo film - were appallingly bad IMPO.

So I think the speech was a nod to all of this - basically saying "OK, we got it wrong and we are going to go back to basics.". If they had not done this then they would be stuck in the same dead-end with the same nonsense about bees, people catching fire, etc.

We watched the original series from start to finish last year, kept us busy for months.

While the main narrative regarding the aliens was a recurring theme, it came up in different original ways at various times and the story arc developed if not entirely cohesively (the "super soldiers" - someone saw T2 and even recruited Patrick into the role) then cohesively enough for the "Truth" episode to hold together. Maria Kolrubius (?) and the bees were very memorable.

Many of the other stories, such as "Tooms", which had nothing to do with the aliens, were superb. Much as the kids might have liked him to, The Doctor didn't battle the Daleks every week, though many of us have a "soft spot" for the "ones with the Daleks in them".

The funny ones - hard to get right - were brilliant. The stories, the cast, the humour, it all had a certain magic you get with talented people working together and I thought it very consistent for such a long running show. Even the replacement leads carried the show. It was just "old" by then.

So many of the darkly comedic aspects carried to "Breaking Bad" (Vince Gilligan again) and those were precisely the aspects that made that so good too.

The rock and the hard place - is it just alien-chasing again only for the pair to be thwarted at the end as usual, or something more this time..

I liked the funny ones. Seem to recall one where they were in a town of 'freak' circus folk. Another one in a town of vampire-like creatures who would move from town to town, another one where Mulder and Scully found themselves in an old house where a couple like them had been murdered and it began to look like they were the couple. The WW2 liner episode with the Nazis was good fun as was the one where Mulder exchanged bodies with a security agent from Area 51.

I liked the funny ones. Seem to recall one where they were in a town of 'freak' circus folk. Another one in a town of vampire-like creatures who would move from town to town, another one where Mulder and Scully found themselves in an old house where a couple like them had been murdered and it began to look like they were the couple. The WW2 liner episode with the Nazis was good fun as was the one where Mulder exchanged bodies with a security agent from Area 51.

It's called Dreamland, a two parter. It doesn't get much attention in the top episodes list but it's my favourite.

The circus freak one is Humbug, written by Darin Morgran, he wrote 4 episodes in the original run all 4 considered to be the best X-Files episodes by pretty much every hard core fan. He also played a couple of characters, most notably the shape shifter in 'Small Potatoes' another classic episode.

225707-gillian-anderson-dana-scully.jpg

GettyImages-504740522.jpg

I wouldn't have said that was the same woman.

Ironically Gillian almost missed out on the original part due to not being thought "pretty enough". Which seems insane looking at that top photo of her.

I think she looks quite similar in both pics.

It's her accent that's changed most - shes done a full on Kylie.