House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Laser Eye Surgery

I've booked an appointment with Optical Express to discuss the possibility of laser eye surgery, basically because glasses are a pain in the ass and I can't wear contact lenses.

I'm thinking about going for the most 'advanced' option; iDesign:

https://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery-information/idesign

I'm interested in anyone else's experience of these things, but what I'm really wondering about is the price - if they quote me a big fat figure is there a certain amount that you can 'haggle' them down to? Or perhaps offer to take the surgery at short notice in a cancelled spot or something?

Or am I best not haggling with folks who have the potential to blind me ;)

I prefer spectacles because they are the only interesting thing about my face.

I'd pay for lasers that shone out of my eyes though, that would be cool.

MrPin works with lasers, but don't let him operate on your eyes.

I know a couple of people who had this done succesfully. Your eyes will change over time, and you will eventually require reading glasses anyway.

I was lasered a few years ago. My eyesight wasn't that bad before, I didn't wear glasses all the time but I needed to for presentations/seminars and I probably should have when driving. The difference afterwards was phenomenal though and well worth paying for, everything is crystal clear at any distance.

You can definitely haggle. I went with Ultralase because they were nearest my house and at the time they had three levels of surgery. I asked for their level 3 surgery at their level 2 price and said I could be available at short notice, I was zapped a few days later. I'm sure I could have pushed them further, people online said they'd asked for level 3 surgery at level 1 price and got it.

I prefer spectacles because they are the only interesting thing about my face.

I'd pay for lasers that shone out of my eyes though, that would be cool.

MrPin works with lasers, but don't let him operate on your eyes.

Welding lasers. I used to work with welding lasers. These are a bit of overkill for opthalmic work. :blink:

I know about 5 people who have had it done and they all thought it was fantastic.

Checked with my mate and he got them down from £3200 to £2800 a few years back.

Don't mind if I end up with reading glasses, or needing further surgery in say a decades time, it's more for day to day things, travel, I'd like to try swimming and some water-sports and don't want the hassle of glasses/lenses with that. Plus my eyesight isn't terribly bad as it is.

We had a huge thread about this several years back. There is a new technique out that is gradually replacing laser surgery. It is an implant that replaces the lens. They can keep altering the lens until the sight is perfect.

At the time of the thread it was new and the view was that it was worth waiting until the new technique became widespread.

We had a huge thread about this several years back. There is a new technique out that is gradually replacing laser surgery. It is an implant that replaces the lens. They can keep altering the lens until the sight is perfect.

At the time of the thread it was new and the view was that it was worth waiting until the new technique became widespread.

Well that's what they do for cataracts. My dad had it done. Now he can see a small television, after I bought him a big one. :unsure: They put new plastic lenses in.

I'll look into this, thanks. I see Optical Express also do Lens Replacement.

I'll look into this, thanks. I see Optical Express also do Lens Replacement.

You might be too young for that. My dad isn't. Also it will be a fixed focus lens. :wacko:

You might be too young for that. My dad isn't. Also it will be a fixed focus lens. :wacko:

Not true! Mr Pin.

For many people getting older brings a catalogue of vision problems which make everyday tasks like reading and driving a major challenge.

But a new lens implant which mimics the working of a youthful eye is giving sight back to people struggling with cataracts, astigmatism, or long and short-sightedness.
It is the first lens that corrects for all types of vision problems at once and can be inserted in just a simple operation. It works at any distance and in any light condition, acting more like a camera zoom than other multi-focal lenses which have three distinct points of focus.

Well I'll be.

Recent clinical trials of the implant showed that 81 per cent of participants reported 20/20 long-distance vision after surgery. 98 per cent said they never needed glasses for distance vision, 96 per cent for middle distance and 73 per cent for near distance.

The lenses cost around £3,900 per eye and are not yet funded by the NHS.

Eeeek :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11304034/Revolutionary-lens-restores-complete-vision-to-ageing-eyes.html

I didn't know that. I'm sure these things are improving all the time.

It's one of those things I'd love to have done (I'm horribly short-sighted, can't see clearly past about 4 inches without glasses or contacts) but I've never quite trusted it, or thought it really made sense if I'll still need glasses in 10 years.

It's one of those things I'd love to have done (I'm horribly short-sighted, can't see clearly past about 4 inches without glasses or contacts) but I've never quite trusted it, or thought it really made sense if I'll still need glasses in 10 years.

If you're not keen on the laser, I could give it a go with a flint hand axe if you'd prefer?

How many opthamologists do you see without glasses?

Yeah thought so.

What perturbs me is they insist on doing both eyes in the same session - call me a belt-and-braces kind of guy, but I'd much rather they did one eye, let me go home for a fortnight and then the other eye. Just in case they really feck the job up.

How many opthamologists do you see without glasses?

Yeah thought so.

What perturbs me is they insist on doing both eyes in the same session - call me a belt-and-braces kind of guy, but I'd much rather they did one eye, let me go home for a fortnight and then the other eye. Just in case they really feck the job up.

I was under the impression they did one at a time.

Mine were both done in the same session but I was given the option of having just one done at once.

My view was that with all the health and safety ****** that they undoubtably have to contend with, not to mention the fact that the clinic was routinely doing 10-15 operations a week and I'd never heard of anyone being blinded, that it was sure to be safe. And it was.

Hi Joe,

Not been on here for a while. :) I had my eyes done 5 or 6 years ago. I was long sighted and it is a bigger operation with a longer recovery time. The strange thing is - I was made sligtly short sighted. So distance vision was blurred for several years and sometimes still is.

It was a mistake for me to get both eyes done at the same time. My right eye was quite good before. And I had several weeks where I was unable to drive.

Everyone I know who was short sighted thought it was a great success.

Good luck,

BB

I've booked an appointment with Optical Express to discuss the possibility of laser eye surgery, basically because glasses are a pain in the ass and I can't wear contact lenses.

Or am I best not haggling with folks who have the potential to blind me ;)

Now you have made an enquiry you won't have to haggle. If you walk away now they will keep bombarding you with reduced prices for years.

How do they cope with astigmatism? I had a consultation 8 years ago and they said they couldn't do it.

Maybe I should go to look at it again..

It's the same with boob jobs. If I was having breast enlargement, I'd get only one done to see how I got on with it first.

It's the same with boob jobs. If I was having breast enlargement, I'd get only one done to see how I got on with it first.

How did that work out? Tit man? :(

How do they cope with astigmatism? I had a consultation 8 years ago and they said they couldn't do it.

I was under the impression that it could deal with it, since I've got that on top of my generally lousy eyesight and had it in my head from hearing something, somewhere that it could potentially sort it out. The Wikipedia article suggests it's possible, if you want to believe something there (doesn't sound like the type of thing someone would stick in there for a laugh).

It's laserable but at a premium. I went in for a quote and it was, if you'll excuse the pun, eye-watering

A friends husband could see perfectly at short distance but not long distance so had to wear glasses all the time except when reading.......requested new lenses so as to only require glasses when reading.......so changed from being short sighted to long sighted. ;)