House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Sunday Roast

Every Sunday in our house through the winter. Meat, 4 or so vegetables, stuffing, Yorkshire, gravy, conversation and laughter. Place taken by Sunday bbq in the summer.

Kids attendance obligatory, bring a friend if you want to. Just a normal thing I and all my friends grew up with.

My 16 year old today said we are odd. Not that he doesn't enjoy it but he doesn't know anyone else that does it. A roast is what you have in a restaurant apparently.

Am I a dinosaur?

Every Sunday in our house through the winter. Meat, 4 or so vegetables, stuffing, Yorkshire, gravy, conversation and laughter. Place taken by Sunday bbq in the summer.

Kids attendance obligatory, bring a friend if you want to. Just a normal thing I and all my friends grew up with.

My 16 year old today said we are odd. Not that he doesn't enjoy it but he doesn't know anyone else that does it. A roast is what you have in a restaurant apparently.

Am I a dinosaur?

No - you're very lucky

Keep doing it - looking back at it when older, your children with thank you and cherish the moments

Can't beat a good family Sunday roast seated around a table, lots of conversation no technology.....lose that we have lost a lot as a country......

Sad day when eating pre-made micro warm up version on lap, watching TV with laptop and or mobile as company.

I think you're lucky doing something you enjoy every week with family and friends. At age 16 years perhaps your son might find it odd because the peers he is mixing with don't have this type of home with family and friends gathering for a roast dinner? Hopefully as he ages he'll come to realise how fortunate he is.

No, that's the odd thing. All his friends are very bog standard 2 parents, 2 kids Surrey types. He only knows one single parent family and that is a widower.

Just seems to be going out of fashion. Very sad.

Yes you are. We do it too. Religiously. If we didn't do things like this, I wouldn't know what day of the week it is.

Great for using stuff from the veg patch - fresh in summer, from freezer in winter.

You could try going to Church on a a Sunday?

There's no mobiles, computers, tablets etc there. Lovely.

All our meals are proper meals. Seriously, we eat like kings. We're as likely to have roast beast on Wed as Sun. Maybe more gravies, sauces, etc on Sunday. And all meals are compulsory for anyone not away at school, university, or work.

The difference at weekends is that breakfasts get a bigger billing and often extent / become brunches. Breakfasts are pretty various ; full English, porridge, all sorts of pancakes, kedgeree, baked porridge, etc. But, whatever the day, never cereal.

Given the mix of plant matter and flesh it lowers the odds of you being a dinosaur but doesn't rule it out. For example you may be a Troodon, Eoraptor or Struthominus and there are a number of other similar possibilities.

Do you or your other half lay lay eggs?

Given the mix of plant matter and flesh it lowers the odds of you being a dinosaur but doesn't rule it out. For example you may be a Troodon, Eoraptor or Struthominus and there are a number of other similar possibilities.

I think we predate that. My guess is phylum monograptus.

All our meals are proper meals. Seriously, we eat like kings. We're as likely to have roast beast on Wed as Sun. Maybe more gravies, sauces, etc on Sunday. And all meals are compulsory for anyone not away at school, university, or work.

The difference at weekends is that breakfasts get a bigger billing and often extent / become brunches. Breakfasts are pretty various ; full English, porridge, all sorts of pancakes, kedgeree, baked porridge, etc. But, whatever the day, never cereal.

You must be a family of right fat feckers

Same in our house. Always at the table and always proper meals. Stews, roasts, bolognese, occasionally a sausage, chips, beans, and egg type dinner. Had a lovely roast this evening - beef and gammon, dad's homemade yorkies and gravy. Delicious.

Right about the memories too. We have a great time around the table, always a laugh and a joke, good conversation. It's the heart of the family really.

:D

Am I a dinosaur?

No, you are not odd, it's great, but equally and personally, I'd never let the routine of a meal get in the way of a day exploring the countryside or coast and taking a pack of sandwiches and thermos.

No, you are not odd, it's great, but equally and personally, I'd never let the routine of a meal get in the way of a day exploring the countryside or coast and taking a pack of sandwiches and thermos.

Yes, fair point. Of course there are exceptions. Just that most families don't seem to be doing this either.

Sunday roast is usual for my family too, although maybe once a month we have a full traditional Cantonese meal instead as the wife is from HK. I think the traditional family Sunday roast is pretty much the norm for most families I know. We almost never eat as a family during the week, so all meals at the weekend are proper sit down as a family style meals.

When we were kids past the very small stage, our Sunday roast was never at lunchtime, but around 5 or 6, it broke the day up too much otherwise.

I have carried this on - if we have one it'll always be in the early evening.

Quite apart from anything else, I never feel ready for a big meal at lunchtime.

Stop living in the past, embrace change, and just have everyone stuff their takeaways / ready meals down at whatever time they like in front of the TV. Things are so much better when people do that.

Sarcasm aside I live on my own but Sunday roast at the pub is a fairly regular event for me.

Every Sunday

Am I a dinosaur?

No.

We go to the MIL's for sunday tea every week. Have been told recently that they only started having a roast when I first got invited. I must have mentioned that we always had a sunday roast when I was a kid. I do like having a proper roast dinner once a week. It's a fairly lazy dinner, throw lots of stuff in the oven, peel some veg and remember to switch it on in time. :) And gravy. There must be copious amounts of gravy.

I sometimes do a roast just for myself. If I have guests, I would most likely offer to do one.

Roast chicken[1] here tonight. We'll all sit round a table for it. We may have candles. And creme brulee for pud.

[1] Loads of butter on the outside, and onion etc inside to keep it all moist.